Footy Stars 2021

missed out on a case, sold out straight away so brought some loose boxes and starter packs
I treid to buy a case but they were gone in first minute - did get a box of starters plus 3 boxes - starters sold old later - I beiieve this reease will be all sold out by end of march - augurs well for high end releases later in year

Sounds like Select is leaving a lot of money on the table. If I were them I'd be creating some more inserts and parallels and doubling the print run. Clearly the demand is there. You don't want a situation where 'investors' are buying up all the sealed product and flipping it a few weeks later at 3x ,4x. Investors have arguably ruined aspects of the NBA hobby. Hopefully that doesn't happen to AFL or NRL. At least not to these low end releases. That would be tragic.

Last edited:
Hard to double a print run on a set that has already sold numbered insert cards. Makes them worth half as much right?

If they did that then it won't be long before the junk wax era is back again and cards are pointless in buying again.

Hard to double a print run on a set that has already sold numbered insert cards. Makes them worth half as much right?

If they did that then it won't be long before the junk wax era is back again and cards are pointless in buying again.
I'm talking about the future. Obviously it's too late to do anything about this product. Footy Stars Series 1 should be junk wax.

Footy Stars I thought was supposed to be aimed at kids not flippers, so If the print run is doubled or tripled, then kids will be able to buy the cards throughout the year and keep the hobby going for when the current high demand starts declining.

I'm not sure it's specifically aimed at kids but it's definitely the entry level/ meat and potatoes release from Select. It's got some good stuff in there like the Brownlow Predictor cards (which look awesome) but overall it is a basic product and increasing its print run wouldn't hurt as there are higer end products later on which are more for the investor/high end collector. There has to be a release that is available to everyone. Otherwise it's hyper inflation and eventually, disenfranchised collectors.

Last edited:
Would be stupid to double the print run, that’s what happened in the 90s everyone got greedy, I wouldn’t change a thing if they had there full shipment there would still be cases for sale there will be plenty of this around in a few weeks

I'm not sure it's specifically aimed at kids but it's definitely the entry level/ meat and potatoes release from Select. It's got some good stuff in there like the Brownlow Predictor cards (which look awesome) but overall it is a basic product and increasing its print run wouldn't hurt as there are higer end products later on which are more for the investor/high end collector. There has to be a release that is available to everyone. Otherwise it's hyper inflation and eventually, disenfranchised collectors.
Gents
A year or so ago I did some research and found a finance investor site that did a study on card collecting and investing. In USA there are some 340 million people with an estimate of some 13 million serious card collectors year in year out and another 39 million part time collectors - (never defined) but i assumed many were kids and that is why prices go through the roof in USA - in Australia the finance report said it was much harder to gather data but there estimate was some 40,000 serious collectors and another 25,000 part time in any one year on a population of 25 million.

Gents
A year or so ago I did some research and found a finance investor site that did a study on card collecting and investing. In USA there are some 340 million people with an estimate of some 13 million serious card collectors year in year out and another 39 million part time collectors - (never defined) but i assumed many were kids and that is why prices go through the roof in USA - in Australia the finance report said it was much harder to gather data but there estimate was some 40,000 serious collectors and another 25,000 part time in any one year on a population of 25 million.
And about 500,000 breakers

Would be stupid to double the print run, that’s what happened in the 90s everyone got greedy, I wouldn’t change a thing if they had there full shipment there would still be cases for sale there will be plenty of this around in a few weeks
Just because I'm suggesting doubling the print run for 1 set of AFL cards that doesn't mean ushering in a new junk wax era. If there's still product around in a few weeks at roughly SRP then fine. If there isn't that's not good.

Back
Top Bottom