Finishing the 2019-20 NBA season ----- **SPOILERS**

If they do get paid it will be another reason why the NBA is the best sports league and Adam Silver the best commissioner.

Going to be interesting times.

Lac and Lal voting to stop the season.

Bluffing or....

All for another criminal that has a history of attacking police.

America is a shambles

Lac and Lal voting to stop the season.

Bluffing or....

All for another criminal that has a history of attacking police.

America is a shambles

yeah I hope they have all the facts of the incident before making such a huge sacrifice. maybe it doesn't matter. too much tension and build up and momentum.

That's it. This whole mess has so many layers to it.

America won't change though. Their gun culture is insane.

Gun sales in the US have surged through Covid lockdowns just as one side of Politics started pushing the defund the Police Mantra.

If Police get defunded in certain states (which is happening now) how will people protect themselves? Buying more guns to do so!

I agree that it seems very strange that the players are all sitting out games now for a guy who has a wrap sheet as long as your arm, had a knife in the car, had 911 called on him, wrestled with the Police and ignored them went back to his car and was shot.

Now 7 shots was excessive I will say that, but for most major sports hanging their reputations on a career criminal like this seems a bit strange to me.

It would be a bit like the AFL players standing down because Chopper Read got arrested! Just seems very odd.......

I also think based on what Paul George said the other day where he was finding it hard to be motivated for games, I think the millionaire party boy players really just hate being in the bubble and want out. Even read this morning that Lebron wanted to fly home but has now changed his tune.

They should have just gone straight to the playoffs based on seedings when the season stopped and there would have been a winner crowned by now.

As much as I hate to say it, my interest these says in the NBA and who wins is about 2% of what it once was.

Gun sales in the US have surged through Covid lockdowns just as one side of Politics started pushing the defund the Police Mantra.

If Police get defunded in certain states (which is happening now) how will people protect themselves? Buying more guns to do so!

I agree that it seems very strange that the players are all sitting out games now for a guy who has a wrap sheet as long as your arm, had a knife in the car, had 911 called on him, wrestled with the Police and ignored them went back to his car and was shot.

Now 7 shots was excessive I will say that, but for most major sports hanging their reputations on a career criminal like this seems a bit strange to me.

It would be a bit like the AFL players standing down because Chopper Read got arrested! Just seems very odd.......

I also think based on what Paul George said the other day where he was finding it hard to be motivated for games, I think the millionaire party boy players really just hate being in the bubble and want out. Even read this morning that Lebron wanted to fly home but has now changed his tune.

They should have just gone straight to the playoffs based on seedings when the season stopped and there would have been a winner crowned by now.

As much as I hate to say it, my interest these says in the NBA and who wins is about 2% of what it once was.

All the buying up guns is pretty scary.

I really don't get how they can be so upset about this guy. Imagine you're a police officer. You get the call that it's this guy with a record. You're on edge. You're in a country where guns are rife.

People need to be a cop for a month. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

I used to think you could save all the kids. But sometimes I think the quicker we get some of these people in society in prison the safer the general public will be.

NBA stars are getting a taste of some adversity in the bubble. I wonder how they'd go in other peoples shoes (in the US) earning $25k per year and still dealing with Covid times.

I totally get the mental health aspect for them. I even believe if LeBron and the boys want to walk from the season, let them.

POR and DAL advance. The League is in great shape, we will enjoy watching more of that p*ssy ass white boy Luka 😊

Oh and Giannis beast the competition.

Having a long record obviously is not a reason to get shot but as mentioned is definitely a mitigating factor.

Obviously in situations like this people aren't considering mitigating factors and want everything black and white (and that is not meant to be a pun meaning race). The white cops are racist and the entire police force has systemic racism issues. The person shot is an unarmed innocent who's honesty, integrity and intentions are beyond reproach.

Of, course reality is always in the grey areas in between.

To me it is so sad that as a society we have come to accept that we are so dysfunctional that police are required to carry guns (we have even trialed this in NZ and did have a cop shot and killed a couple of months ago). Once you get to that stage obviously police will use the guns. In fact they have to use the guns if they are going to be any deterrent. A threat is only viable if you show you are willing to use it/follow through. Otherwise it is just like telling your child they are going to bed with no dessert but then giving them dessert...

I work with a former cop of 8 years and a more or less direct quote when I asked him why he left, "I got sick of dealing with scum everyday and not being able to do anything about it. If I didn't leave I would have killed someone."

I equate being a cop to the following:

"Imagine your work place. Now imagine that about 80% of your fellow workers are absolute assholes who do not follow the rules. Some break the rules to such an extent they can very likely injure or kill you or other workers. However, most of the time when you try to enforce the rules/take them to the boss, nothing is done about it and they go right back to breaking the rules. If by chance one of them does loose their job they will be replaced with someone just as bad. However, if you step out of line at all you get punished heavily, potentially loose your job and even get shamed nationally. You have to deal with this every day."

How many days do you think you can do that before you lose your shit? I wouldn't make it two days!

Having a long record obviously is not a reason to get shot but as mentioned is definitely a mitigating factor.

Obviously in situations like this people aren't considering mitigating factors and want everything black and white (and that is not meant to be a pun meaning race). The white cops are racist and the entire police force has systemic racism issues. The person shot is an unarmed innocent who's honesty, integrity and intentions are beyond reproach.

Of, course reality is always in the grey areas in between.

To me it is so sad that as a society we have come to accept that we are so dysfunctional that police are required to carry guns (we have even trialed this in NZ and did have a cop shot and killed a couple of months ago). Once you get to that stage obviously police will use the guns. In fact they have to use the guns if they are going to be any deterrent. A threat is only viable if you show you are willing to use it/follow through. Otherwise it is just like telling your child they are going to bed with no dessert but then giving them dessert...

I work with a former cop of 8 years and a more or less direct quote when I asked him why he left, "I got sick of dealing with scum everyday and not being able to do anything about it. If I didn't leave I would have killed someone."

I equate being a cop to the following:

"Imagine your work place. Now imagine that about 80% of your fellow workers are absolute assholes who do not follow the rules. Some break the rules to such an extent they can very likely injure or kill you or other workers. However, most of the time when you try to enforce the rules/take them to the boss, nothing is done about it and they go right back to breaking the rules. If by chance one of them does loose their job they will be replaced with someone just as bad. However, if you step out of line at all you get punished heavily, potentially loose your job and even get shamed nationally. You have to deal with this every day."

How many days do you think you can do that before you lose your s***? I wouldn't make it two days!

i get all the points you make and there’s a lot of nuance to this discussion but it could also come down to the fact that cops paid to put up with arseholes. They are paid for their conflict resolution skills. It’s a 100% fact that they have a hard, almost impossible job, but 100% of recruits go into the process knowing this and preparing for it.

are they paid well enough probably not. Would they do with an overhaul and retraining to better equip them for issues in today’s society, most likely.

this year has been rough and people keep whinging about it sure, but imagine how the last 200 years has been for people of different colours. So tough to comprehend.

vast topic worthy of a lot of discussion and action.

i get all the points you make and there’s a lot of nuance to this discussion but it could also come down to the fact that cops paid to put up with arseholes. They are paid for their conflict resolution skills. It’s a 100% fact that they have a hard, almost impossible job, but 100% of recruits go into the process knowing this and preparing for it.

are they paid well enough probably not. Would they do with an overhaul and retraining to better equip them for issues in today’s society, most likely.

this year has been rough and people keep whinging about it sure, but imagine how the last 200 years has been for people of different colours. So tough to comprehend.

vast topic worthy of a lot of discussion and action.

Agree with your points and that the discussion is way to deep and complex to do justice to here.

With regard to police, certainly they know they are having to deal with scum and resolve conflict. However, there are a couple of points we take for granted with them that I do not think is (or at least should be) part of their job.

1) They should not be expected to die for their job. They are not the army. To me you sign up for the military willingly knowing you are sent in to situations where your life could be sacrificed. I do not think it should be the expectation for a beat cop or traffic cop. Also, why is there the expectation someone has to be literally trying to kill them before they are able to defend in kind? We saw what happens here in NZ if a police officer waits that long - they end up dead. Is that really our preferred outcome?

2) I think as a society we have become so apologetic, so accepting that people who routinely can not live within society’s rules need to be helped and rehabilitated and treated with kid gloves that police get frustrated. As was mentioned earlier, they know they are going in to situations with people who have long histories of criminal behaviour and violence toward other civilians and the police yet they are still roaming free. Why should they be expected to risk their life for this person who has routinely shown they are an extremely dangerous human being?

I think LeBron made an interesting comment when he said (to paraphrase) “why could three cops not have physically restrained (Blake) without using their guns?”.

To me the more appropriate question is “Why should they have to?”. If three police officers are all very specifically asking you to do something and ask many times, why are you ignoring them? What good can come from that course of action?

Also, bear in mind if they go in hard early and take someone down the get accused of brutality and over reacting. If all three going in at once there were dozens of other agitated people around an “only” three cops. Pretty sure all three ending up on the ground with one person is not the ideal scenario for them.

And to make this clear: this has nothing to do with race. Scum is scum. I hold exactly the same view whoever the asshole is.

:cautious::mad:

E5F78F31-7A27-4C16-BCFE-5948D5DD441A.jpeg

I had Heat winning this series 4-1. Looking good. worst matchup for Bucks. Unlucky. Just like the Mavs got a bad matchup v a Clippers team in 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom