Feedback time - NRL Trading Cards

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

I know we have done this before but thought it would be a great opportunity to ask the question again.

1) What is your current take on the NRL Trading card market and the cards being manufactured by TLA?

2) What do you like/dislike and if you had the chance to make any changes, what would they be?

Happy to hear everyones thoughts on this!

Cheers
Matt

I could go on about this but I will try and be succinct !!

The actual market is in a very j retesting spot at the moment. The COVID has well and truly subsided and prices are a bit down, aside from the really high end and older stuff. Plenty of new collectors on the FB pages but alarmingly, lots of good, long term collectors dropping away.

The product produced this year is below par. It is hard to be overly critical of the volume of parallels being produced because Select, Panini do this also. TLA are capable of some fantastic cards but this year, the releases were lazy and very uninspiring.Elite is not worth $10 a packet.

I am sure there are impacting factors regarding content etc I am not aware of from the NRL, they are renowned for being difficult to deal with.

2. No Best n Less or Rivalry.

Traders series 1 in March with Premiership Predictors where there are no limits to redeeming. Instant win cards for boxes ?

Traders series 2 in May with Dally M predictors (redeemable for a signature card of the winner) and YG signatures

Elite in August with some variety that covers both past and present.

Lastly, an ultra high end release at years end. Not everyone’s cup of tea but with enough notice regarding content and prices, an informed decision can be made!!

1/ Card market is back to the usual boom after release and then the quick drop in prices soon after cycle, post covid. Cost too high for master set collectors at release, everyone waits till the drop for team collectors. Poor quality control from TLA. Cards misscut too big for one touches, poor signature scraps/marks at times. Subpar designs. Customer service on redemption returns protection poor in latest release.

2/ Including more content variety with using past/historical content. More design consideration on Team Signature cards, inclusion of three team colour designs will fix the issue with Panthers Black and Team being the same, instead of small tweak in colour mask layer (obviously im biased). Most teams have a three colour design in jerseys etc. A high end release similar to AFL with past and present signatures and/or regular Premiership release.

Market is still quite strong. People go way too hard too early and that is pushes prices up immensely in the opening weeks of release.

I think TLA do an incredibly poor job in multiple areas. I think their parallel design is beyond lazy and their QC is disgustingly poor. They can't even sleeve cards when sending back from redemption. I'd also love to get one or two real nice refractors in the Elite release next year. Something that really stands out.

I also agree that a high-end set would be fantastic. Make the checklist small, have it all be on card autos (no redemptions) and game-worn memorabilia. Supremacy has been so good for the AFL collectors, we need something similar. Low print run, high qc and collectors will flock to it. Even if its on the pricier side.

Dally M predictors would be a great inclusion. It's the best feature of the AFL Footy Stars product imo.

I'm a bit all over the shop at the moment but I really like Elite for the most part.

I think that answers both questions.

Oh, and get rid of Priority. It is a greedy and cynical move imo much like Panini's FOTL products are. Throw in some exclusive short print cards and charge 3X the regular amount? F.....that. I thought that kind of nonsense was just for the American market. I.E. hype over common sense. Just have one or the other.

Last edited:
Need more variety of players on cards, 30 players on a list but you're honestly lucky if 12-13 of them get a common card

Totally agree. Jordan Rapana had 23 and Josh Papalii had 22 (or 28 if you count the Guler M & A cards) this year. They are two of my all time fave Raiders, but they need to share the love! Seb Kris, CHN, Tom Starling, Adam Elliott, Corey Horsburgh, Jamal Fogerty to name a few, had zero.

Exactly, Welch had exactly one card in his entire career before this year (over 100 games, a premiership and multiple origins).

Tui Kamikamica has never had a card of amy sort despite 70 games of experience with the same club.

Brenko Lee won a premiership and will never have a card with the club he won with.

There needs to be improvement for sure, but the Traders Cricket release has been a big step up
on last seasons release.
More players covered is a thing mentioned above, how about Rivalry has more of a rookie/fringe
player feel to it. Traders/Elite may only cover 12-14 players at a guess.
More signatures for sure, even if in low numbers. Roll out some older players, so many
greats would make some very sort after signature cards.
We all hope TLA listen to their customers both direct and through the dealers.

As a side I have finally decided to hold back on buying cards till the rush is over and
prices fall back. There isn't a lot that I can't get now at cheaper prices barring mojos.
Having said that I am a Warriors collector, so easier for me than most of you.

No more mojos. They killing me!
Think you have all missed whats going on here with player selections on cards,
Tla only put players on cards that they have signed up on player contracts with certain managers.
That is where the money is.
Football cards are only a side line for them, pay the nrl for the licence.
Then flog out as many cards as they can, while using contacts to get more managers on there books.

Back
Top Bottom