Ebay managed payments

baggies

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
1binwa
New Store Tier for Sporting Goods Category

From Wednesday 17th June 2020, the Sporting Goods category will move into a new fee tier.

Instead of 8% + GST for a basic store, the new fees will be 9.5% plus GST, a 1.7% increase.

I'm sure they'll be skimming even more money with their new upcoming managed payments system.

Ebay managed payments has started today for many ebay stores here and will be compulsory for all ebay users apparently over coming months. It increases payment options, but as a seller, you have to wait 2-3 days to get paid apparently, and only into your bank account.

I can see this causing a few cashflow problems as people wait for funds to clear into their bank and then another wait if transferring back into PayPal.

Just wondering if anyone has signed up to this yet? And what the experience has been like so far?

I've been holding out until now, but they keep sending me reminders to sign up every week.

I've read mostly negative feedback regarding inconsistent payout times, slow payouts, and the requirement to still follow eBay's policy of shipping items within a certain amount of days.

My fees increased from 8.8% ebay store plus 2.6% paypal to a combined 13.1%, a 1.7% overall increase on managed payments.

Bank pay outs are every two business days. If you sell on a Thursday for instance, you won't get paid until Monday but they still expect you to ship out before receiving payment because they have been paid.

I was on a no final value fee promo in August. Midway through, I was moved onto managed payments and the promo stopped crediting fees to my account. I was told I'd get the credits at the end of the month but I did not receive them. I later found out there was a clause which made managed payments customers ineligible. Following numerous chats, they agreed to pay me $562 in September which was later adjusted to $526 with no explanation. It was not paid after I had been told it had been approved. I was later told it had not been approved but after a few more follow ups, it was again approved on October 12th. It was due to be paid end of October, but again they did not pay. Each subsequent chat has been delaying tactics by their managed payments team. I strongly suggest to avoid switching until you have to.

My fees increased from 8.8% ebay store plus 2.6% paypal to a combined 13.1%, a 1.7% overall increase on managed payments.

Bank pay outs are every two business days. If you sell on a Thursday for instance, you won't get paid until Monday but they still expect you to ship out before receiving payment because they have been paid.

I was on a no final value fee promo in August. Midway through, I was moved onto managed payments and the promo stopped crediting fees to my account. I was told I'd get the credits at the end of the month but I did not receive them. I later found out there was a clause which made managed payments customers ineligible. Following numerous chats, they agreed to pay me $562 in September which was later adjusted to $526 with no explanation. It was not paid after I had been told it had been approved. I was later told it had not been approved but after a few more follow ups, it was again approved on October 12th. It was due to be paid end of October, but again they did not pay. Each subsequent chat has been delaying tactics by their managed payments team. I strongly suggest to avoid switching until you have to.

Thanks for the response mate. Sorry to hear about your troubles:confused:.

I've also noticed that, it is actually more expensive with the new system, and not cheaper as they have advertised.

My biggest concern is the bank payouts, with PayPal the fund transfers are very fast...in most cases it is within 1 day. Whereas with the management payment system, it's been a mixed bag (from what I've read). Not to mention, I'm totally not comfortable shipping items without receiving cleared payment first.

It also blows my mind they are trying to do this in the middle of a pandemic where customer support is only available via chat on their website.

Your experience does seem consistent with most of the negative experiences I've read online, from people selling other stuff. And I will take your advice and continue holding out.

No experience with Ebay so can not comment there but will say the whole "online-platform-holding-back-the-bank-deposit" is not uncommon.

Had a Shopify "shop" for a previous product we sold and they held payments for 5 working days from memory, but, still expected you to send on receiving a sales confirmation.

I did query them on it as the products we were selling were not cheap, but, they would not guarantee payment if something untoward happened even after we sent the products.

So in short, Ebay is probably crap but they are not the only platform that is!

Firstly, quick update on the August promotion. After hours of chasing it up, they finally paid in early December - took nearly 4 months!

For any ebay managed payment users, there was a promotion late last year from Oct-Dec, convert to ebay plus and pay no final value fees. There is a similar promotion currently advertised.

I activated the ebay plus promotion on Oct 31st, chatted with ebay and made sure I'd converted my listings correctly after activation. I kept track of all of my eligible sales until Dec 31st when the promo ended. Fee credits for the promo were due to be paid up to 45 days after the promo ended (by mid Feb). Ebay did not pay eligible credits totalling $982. I have chased them up for weeks. The managed payments team sent me to the promo team who said I need to speak to the Australian team who I never heard from. I have tried numerous times to contact either the promo or Australian team but have had multiple email and callback requests ignored.

I sent a complaint to the ACCC and WA consumer protection. The magistrates court is another option depending on what the other authorities say when they reply. It's false advertising and ongoing lies by ebay. I wish there was a similar platform so I could **** them off for good.

Firstly, quick update on the August promotion. After hours of chasing it up, they finally paid in early December - took nearly 4 months!

For any ebay managed payment users, there was a promotion late last year from Oct-Dec, convert to ebay plus and pay no final value fees. There is a similar promotion currently advertised.

I activated the ebay plus promotion on Oct 31st, chatted with ebay and made sure I'd converted my listings correctly after activation. I kept track of all of my eligible sales until Dec 31st when the promo ended. Fee credits for the promo were due to be paid up to 45 days after the promo ended (by mid Feb). Ebay did not pay eligible credits totalling $982. I have chased them up for weeks. The managed payments team sent me to the promo team who said I need to speak to the Australian team who I never heard from. I have tried numerous times to contact either the promo or Australian team but have had multiple email and callback requests ignored.

I sent a complaint to the ACCC and WA consumer protection. The magistrates court is another option depending on what the other authorities say when they reply. It's false advertising and ongoing lies by ebay. I wish there was a similar platform so I could **** them off for good.
Glad you finally got paid! Have you heard back from the ACCC or the WA Consumer Protection? I was wondering how many people have gone to the ACCC about this.

Because as noted already in this thread, they are controlling people's money, introducing a system that only benefit themselves- all the fees PayPal was making are now going to them. On a side note, they are also charge additional % for international sales too, PayPal didn't do that.

I was sent a final reminder early last month, so have been forced to opt in. Honestly, I wouldn't have such a big issue if the payments and transfers were instant like PayPal.

Another thing I've noticed is, in the card industry anyway, some of the largest sellers in Australia, and also in the U.S have not opted in, they are still using PayPal. How is it possible?

Glad you finally got paid! Have you heard back from the ACCC or the WA Consumer Protection? I was wondering how many people have gone to the ACCC about this.

Because as noted already in this thread, they are controlling people's money, introducing a system that only benefit themselves- all the fees PayPal was making are now going to them. On a side note, they are also charge additional % for international sales too, PayPal didn't do that.

I was sent a final reminder early last month, so have been forced to opt in. Honestly, I wouldn't have such a big issue if the payments and transfers were instant like PayPal.

Another thing I've noticed is, in the card industry anyway, some of the largest sellers in Australia, and also in the U.S have not opted in, they are still using PayPal. How is it possible?
I heard back from WA Consumer Protection yesterday, they won't take the case because I was the seller. Still awaiting a reply from the ACCC. My only other recourse would be the Magistrate's Court but that could be costly depending how it goes. I'll keep plugging away at ebay in the meantime to try and get the credits paid.

I think PayPal charged 2.6% locally and 3.6% for international transactions plus 30c. Ebay have passed on all the previous PayPal charges with their managed payments using Adyen internally (a Dutch company) as their new multi payment type provider. I'm sure they make more this way than their previous deal with PayPal. I believe they sold their PayPal stake a few years back.

I don't know why some sellers are still on the old PayPal system. There's always the option of opening a new account on the old system but it's probably a matter of time, 6-12 months until they try and move everyone. They must make a lot of money in worldwide interest holding onto to payments for 2 business days before paying out on the new managed payments system. Another thing which is wrong is that they always understate what you actually pay when purchasing from overseas. The conversion rate they use is always higher as they skim the forex.

I heard back from WA Consumer Protection yesterday, they won't take the case because I was the seller. Still awaiting a reply from the ACCC. My only other recourse would be the Magistrate's Court but that could be costly depending how it goes. I'll keep plugging away at ebay in the meantime to try and get the credits paid.

I think PayPal charged 2.6% locally and 3.6% for international transactions plus 30c. Ebay have passed on all the previous PayPal charges with their managed payments using Adyen internally (a Dutch company) as their new multi payment type provider. I'm sure they make more this way than their previous deal with PayPal. I believe they sold their PayPal stake a few years back.

I don't know why some sellers are still on the old PayPal system. There's always the option of opening a new account on the old system but it's probably a matter of time, 6-12 months until they try and move everyone. They must make a lot of money in worldwide interest holding onto to payments for 2 business days before paying out on the new managed payments system. Another thing which is wrong is that they always understate what you actually pay when purchasing from overseas. The conversion rate they use is always higher as they skim the forex.

My missus said that in the Ts and Cs, it said that some people would not be moving (big places).

Not sure how true it is, but she reads that stuff. Her account just moved over last night and we got a sale today so interesting to see how long the wait is

Yeah not sure exactly what their process is. Some of the biggest sellers in the world are still on PayPal, meanwhile a mate of mine who very casually sells on there (maybe sells around $100 worth of stuff at month), got suspended for not opting in.

Either way, it sucks and looks like sellers have no choice if they want to continue selling on eBay.

I am on the managed payment system now, and have had nothing but a great experience so far.

Highlights are, more seller promotion perks, better visibility, higher listing limits and daily payouts to my bank account.

Tbh I prefer it over PayPal as my funds are available faster in hand, no transfers between accounts needed. My bank takes 3 days to process PayPal transfers.

The daily payouts begin to process once items are shipped and labels are processed.
The next day I get a message saying 'we've sent your payout' and by 11am the day after, the funds are available in my bank.

All in all, I feel it is a much more streamlined process which will only improve as they identify more faults in it. So far I can't pick at much.

Seems to be many mixed reviews and opinions on this new eBay system, I like it though, it works for me so no complaints.

It's unfortunate to read that some of you are having issues with it, and not enjoying it so far.

I switched to managed payments a few weeks back, and loving it so far. As has been said, I like the streamlined nature of it, but the best aspect is not racking up a month-end bill since you pay fees as you go. Although the extra fees for making a sale to an international buyer are a bit rich - unless it's always been like this but I've never noticed?

At this stage, I much prefer this new setup overall. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom