Al-farouq Aminu Supercollector
Real Name
Benn
eBay User
flesh_mbc
COMC User
flesh_mbc
Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of feedback here as I'm not sure whether I am in the wrong here. I recently sold an item on ebay which was listed as 'free postage'. I shipped the item parcel post which is trackable and a decent service from what I've experienced. The ebay buyer is asking me to partially refund the shipping fees "which they paid for" as the ebay listing shows 'express postage tacking + signature comfirmation'. Now this is obviously something which has defaulted in the selling listing, not something I have personally selected as I assumed 'free postage' wouldn't indicate a service type in the listing, so this is where I think I might be in the wrong with. I'm a little thrown off by the buyers request for a refund when the item has still ben sent on a service which will get it to them in a couple of days.

For further back round, I accepted a BIN of nearly half my BIN factoring in the postage cost to myself, which is why I am reluctant to issue a refund. I would preferred to accept a full refund and return of the card as opposed to this options but will take it on the chin if I am deemed in the wrong here, which is why I am looking for some opinions.

Thanks,

KB

If you listed it as free postage and had a defined service to use then that is on you

i don't completely understand your predicament...

i don't see why he's be asking for a refund when you had free postage advertised as you had to pay for the service.. ( which held no value on the item)

hope that helps

If buyer has paid extra for postage then you should refund that cost as you advertised free postage .
If he had a few choices along with free postage then the extra is on him .
Make sure your postage choices are set as you want them .

Correct me if I've understood wrong-

You listed an item, the listing shows Free Postage- with the shipping method being- Express Post + Signature confirmation.

You shipped the item Standard Parcel.

Whilst you did not charge for postage, the buyer is expecting an item to be sent to him via Express Post.

Could go either way to be honest, I guess he can claim the service is not as advertised, because that is technically what happened...but he didn't actually pay for shipping, which means there isn't any shipping fees to refund. Regardless of which, it's very petty on the buyer's behalf.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It felt like a bit of a weird situation and I was just a bit taken aback by it. It does seem a little petty since it's only a small difference so I will just settle it and look at it as a learning experience.

I just sold 2 separate items on Ebay. Both items (not cards), had a postage amount of $10. The buyer paid for each item seperately as they sold so I didn't get a chance to combine postage. After I sent them a message saying I had sent both items together they responded wanting a full refund of the difference in postage. I told them postage was $15.75 and the large padded bag was $2.50 and that if they wanted the difference of $1.75 to send me back their Paypal details or bank account details. Received their Paypal in a matter of seconds....was like wow $1.75....there are some special people out there.

I just sold 2 separate items on Ebay. Both items (not cards), had a postage amount of $10. The buyer paid for each item seperately as they sold so I didn't get a chance to combine postage. After I sent them a message saying I had sent both items together they responded wanting a full refund of the difference in postage. I told them postage was $15.75 and the large padded bag was $2.50 and that if they wanted the difference of $1.75 to send me back their Paypal details or bank account details. Received their Paypal in a matter of seconds....was like wow $1.75....there are some special people out there.
Same sort of thing happened to me.

I just upgraded postage since he paid for two regulars and he was stoked that he got them express posted.

I guess it's the luck of the scumbag draw

Thanks for the feedback guys. It felt like a bit of a weird situation and I was just a bit taken aback by it. It does seem a little petty since it's only a small difference so I will just settle it and look at it as a learning experience.
Sigh...

Last edited:
Correct me if I've understood wrong-

You listed an item, the listing shows Free Postage- with the shipping method being- Express Post + Signature confirmation.

You shipped the item Standard Parcel.

Whilst you did not charge for postage, the buyer is expecting an item to be sent to him via Express Post.

Could go either way to be honest, I guess he can claim the service is not as advertised, because that is technically what happened...but he didn't actually pay for shipping, which means there isn't any shipping fees to refund. Regardless of which, it's very petty on the buyer's behalf.
Sigh...

Last edited:
I always put "please wait for combined invoice" in my listings. A few times somebody has been too overzealous and paid individually for multiple items, but I just send them a message saying something like "if there's anything else you're interested in, let me know and I'll invoice it without postage, and mail it with the other items". That usually clears anything up - but I never refund just because a buyer can't read or got too eager.

Back
Top Bottom