Ebay selling & payment question

clipper

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Paul
eBay User
coultard1
hi all,

just wondering if anyone had a situation when selling something on ebay, and the winning bidder asks for you bank deposit details, even when you have said paypal is the only payment method.

The response you get back is "sorry don't have paypal, and didn't read the payment page"

What do you do? do you cancel the item and relist\second chance offer etc, or go through the process of suiting the buyer?

This has happened a couple of times with me, and it starts to get frustrating when people don't read the details properly.

Its so frustrating when buyers dont read the whole listing!! When i was selling the individual Platinums from the Redmption i hit i had a bloke hit the 'Buy It Now' button on the Redemption card. After he did that he then read the listing to find that it had been redeemed and requested it to be cancelled. I was so pi$$ed off.... waste of time and money. The buyer was a total tool and tried to throw it back on me even though all the info was in the listing.... I cant believe buyers jump head first into these things without properly understanding the conditions.

So basically, its your call. Im guessing you didnt offer direct deposit at all? I never used to offer Paypal and always wrote in the listing 'Direct deposit only' or something like that. However because Paypal is mandatory on most listings, if the buyer didnt read that or ignored it and wanted to pay via Paypal anyway i didnt really have grounds to argue. If you never gave it as an option you could open a dispute with the buyer to try and get them to meet your terms. Retaliatory feedback is something id be concerned with though as if the neg you then eBay will 'consider' removing the feedback. If the buyer doesnt pay it'll be the only way to recover your final value fee and insertion fees if you want to relist it (and it sells the second time). Hope that all made sense :lol: And now days, the seller cant leave negative feedback... only positive or not at all. So you cant highlight their inability to read. They would get an unpaid strike via the dispute process if they dont pay though. BUt that means nothing until they end up with three of them... it sucks being a seller now!

Seems as though accepting their offer of direct deposit isnt a bad thing though if you can do it that way. Certainly makes life easier.

Im surprised that your listing were not cancelled when you wrote "Direct Deposit Only" had mine cancelled when i stated that....
Regarding the Direct Deposit, you win that you don't get slugged the paypal fees, but depends if you feel comfortable giving out your bank details...

Its so frustrating when buyers dont read the whole listing!! When i was selling the individual Platinums from the Redmption i hit i had a bloke hit the 'Buy It Now' button on the Redemption card. After he did that he then read the listing to find that it had been redeemed and requested it to be cancelled. I was so pi$$ed off.... waste of time and money. The buyer was a total tool and tried to throw it back on me even though all the info was in the listing.... I cant believe buyers jump head first into these things without properly understanding the conditions.

So basically, its your call. Im guessing you didnt offer direct deposit at all? I never used to offer Paypal and always wrote in the listing 'Direct deposit only' or something like that. However because Paypal is mandatory on most listings, if the buyer didnt read that or ignored it and wanted to pay via Paypal anyway i didnt really have grounds to argue. If you never gave it as an option you could open a dispute with the buyer to try and get them to meet your terms. Retaliatory feedback is something id be concerned with though as if the neg you then eBay will 'consider' removing the feedback. If the buyer doesnt pay it'll be the only way to recover your final value fee and insertion fees if you want to relist it (and it sells the second time). Hope that all made sense :lol: And now days, the seller cant leave negative feedback... only positive or not at all. So you cant highlight their inability to read. They would get an unpaid strike via the dispute process if they dont pay though. BUt that means nothing until they end up with three of them... it sucks being a seller now!

Seems as though accepting their offer of direct deposit isnt a bad thing though if you can do it that way. Certainly makes life easier.

Didnt the courts or ACCC rule last year that ebay could not force people only to offer paypal and that bank deposit could be used again now.

I guess just stating direct deposit only could be an ebay issues since one electronic method has to be offered......which i spose the direct deposit is.

found link in an old thread

eBay fails in bid to force users to use PayPal

For certain types of auctions (which still seems to be all types), it appears mandatory that you have to offer Paypal as an option. You dont appear to be able to have only one payment type being direct deposit.

Just take a direct deposit or other form of payment and move on - yes you are in the right, but it's not worth >10 seconds of worrying about.

Back
Top Bottom