eBay advice

jkidd05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
Sold a card on eBay to a buyer in the U.S.

06.03.01.jpg

He claimed not received and got a refund. The card is now being sold in the U.S under a different account (same state, about 40km from seller's location).

06.03.02.jpg

06.03.03.jpg

Has anyone experienced something like this? Is there any way to recover the funds?

I spoke to eBay and all they said is they will look into it, they didn't even ask for the link to the current listing, so I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Wow, that’s a serious scam. Don’t see how eBay can prove he owns both accounts, must be a pro, so not sure how you would do it unless you just bombard them with photos and emails, use the report item link on his sale etc until they give in and refund you. Maybe see if he has others for sale that also sold recently to a different account than his to show a pattern?

more argument to stop using eBay and only buy locally within groups and forums unfortunately.

Yeah, similar happened to me. Tracking never showed as delivered, then after getting a $900 refund, the SAME user sold it from his account.
A serial numbered card too.
EBay told me to ‘report it to police as thats definitely theft’ but did nothing themselves.
Yeh right! Im gonna walk into an Australian police dept and complain about a piece of cardboard in NYC... that incident is the closest Ive ever come to quitting the hobby.
That card, 7 years on, now sells for $6k minimum too. Damn!

Maybe see if he has others for sale that also sold recently to a different account than his to show a pattern?

Took your advice. And yep, definitely the same guy.

Stuff for sale on the account he purchased from me:

06.03.04.jpg

06.03.05.jpg

Stuff for sale on the account he is selling the stolen card

06.03.06.jpg

06.03.07.jpg

Whilst I cant find anything identical being sold on the 2 accounts. The background on the photos of both accounts are identical. Which should indicate it's the same person.

The wild card is eBay and their ridiculous policies. Whether if logic prevails, or their stupid ideals of taking the buyer's side.

Yeah, similar happened to me. Tracking never showed as delivered, then after getting a $900 refund, the SAME user sold it from his account.
A serial numbered card too.
EBay told me to ‘report it to police as thats definitely theft’ but did nothing themselves.
Yeh right! Im gonna walk into an Australian police dept and complain about a piece of cardboard in NYC... that incident is the closest Ive ever come to quitting the hobby.
That card, 7 years on, now sells for $6k minimum too. Damn!

Yeah spoke to them twice, doesn't instill much confidence AT ALL. They say all the right things, but their actions never back up what they say.

I don't know if I'll be able to keep calm if they told me to go to the cops over a $50 card lol.

I gave this thief a chance to make things right, his response was "go check the tracking", knowing full well that the lack of tracking updates is the reason he was able to pull off the scam. An innocent person would not respond that way when they have been accused of something as serious as stealing.

I also responded to eBay again last night, hoping someone with logic would look at the case.

They accepted all the evidence and that this thief is selling a stolen item, they still can't recover the money because it had been over 30 days since the case closed. One excuse after the other to avoid responsibility lol.

Last edited:
ebay is pathetic in there handling of situations like this, "take it up with the police" is the ultimate - tell your story walking mate.
its truly sad the amount of scammers that infest all hobby's world wide

ebay is pathetic in there handling of situations like this, "take it up with the police" is the ultimate - tell your story walking mate.
its truly sad the amount of scammers that infest all hobby's world wide

100%

I think deep down I knew they were going to side with him. I thought I had a chance with all the evidence.

I suppose I'm not that surprised with the outcome, but more so their process, in which they eventually acknowledged that he had received it and is selling stolen goods on their platform. And they still chose to do nothing about it.

100%

I think deep down I knew they were going to side with him. I thought I had a chance with all the evidence.

I suppose I'm not that surprised with the outcome, but more so their process, in which they eventually acknowledged that he had received it and is selling stolen goods on their platform. And they still chose to do nothing about it.
Maybe you can send the eBay response to the seller showing they are at least aware he is dodgy. wont change anything but I get the sense you want him to know as I would too. I’ve been thinking about sending him a note myself to ask him how he sleeps at night. Pretty sure this type of person justifies this stuff to themselves by saying they have been hard done by in their lives, everyone is corrupt anyway, yada yada.

Maybe you can send the eBay response to the seller showing they are at least aware he is dodgy. wont change anything but I get the sense you want him to know as I would too. I’ve been thinking about sending him a note myself to ask him how he sleeps at night. Pretty sure this type of person justifies this stuff to themselves by saying they have been hard done by in their lives, everyone is corrupt anyway, yada yada.
he sleeps well at night knowing..
(a) jkidd05 lives on the other side of the world
(b) ebay's response in these situations are limp wristed and "sorry not our problem"

You are right, I do want him to know that stealing isn't right. But as you said, people like him will justify his actions and believe they have done nothing wrong.I said I forwarded his info to Sports Card Scammers groups and websites, it didn't seem to bother him.

he sleeps well at night knowing..
(a) jkidd05 lives on the other side of the world
(b) ebay's response in these situations are limp wristed and "sorry not our problem"

eBay's response has been nothing but terrible. I haven't even mentioned the defect strike I took for this transaction, and also the fees they took from me. The fact I'm a fee paying store subscriber means I'm also their customer as well, and should have been afforded the same courtesy they showed him. But I was dreaming lol.

If I didn’t care about doing the right thing, I would have purchased the stolen card off that SOB and done the same thing to him.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is to take all of the evidence that you have shared and post it on other card forum sites so that others know not to deal with him.. who knows, he may have scammed others also.

Last edited:
Question.. what can we do as sellers using platforms like EBay to protect ourselves and avoid this situation from happening us?

Question.. what can we do as sellers using platforms like EBay to protect ourselves and avoid this situation from happening us?
If you want to keep selling internationally and rely on multiple companies delivering your cards to customers, then like most businesses you have to accept a level of “bad debt“ and somehow build that into your sales approach.

Or look to use an intermediary like COMC or ShipMyCards(not sure if they do this) so you only ship to these addresses. Scammers won’t buy off you, but you will lose some customers.

or just sell In Oz. The hobby is strong currently and there are buyers for high end cards so maybe we don’t need the US?

If I didn’t care about doing the right thing, I would have purchased the stolen card off that SOB and done the same thing to him.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is to take all of the evidence that you have shared and post it on other card forum sites so that others know not to deal with him.. who knows, he may have scammed others also.

Not going to lie, the fact he is able to freely sell the card he stole, eats away at me lol. But I also firmly believe, someone else will take care of him sometime down the track.

My post just went live on the Sports Card Scammers group on Facebook. Although unlikely, would be great if he can see it.

If you want to keep selling internationally and rely on multiple companies delivering your cards to customers, then like most businesses you have to accept a level of “bad debt“ and somehow build that into your sales approach.

Or look to use an intermediary like COMC or ShipMyCards(not sure if they do this) so you only ship to these addresses. Scammers won’t buy off you, but you will lose some customers.

or just sell In Oz. The hobby is strong currently and there are buyers for high end cards so maybe we don’t need the US?

Dealing locally is definitely the preferred choice.

Although for some cards, the international market really is the way to go. Which unfortunately comes with it more risk. Especially during times like this, along with eBay's incredible bias towards buyers, makes it the perfect situation for scammers.

Back
Top Bottom