Dominance 2020 (series 2) discussion thread

Just got confirmation from Steve at Card zone for the online order I placed at 6.30am Thursday morning. He is slowly getting through all the emails. He is a good guy trying to look after the collectors.

Just got confirmation from Steve at Card zone for the online order I placed at 6.30am Thursday morning. He is slowly getting through all the emails. He is a good guy trying to look after the collectors.

I thought that would be the case......HANG IN THERE guys, he is swamped with orders and slowly getting to them.

Pass the word around so people know they can still get boxes at RRP 👍

Last edited:
some super high prices out of the gate with this release...
some sighs are selling quite high both DPS and player ink
the amount of boxs selling at crazy prices is mind boggling...hobby/game changer????

Just got the notification that my boxes were unable to be delivered as it had the wrong suburb on the delivery details. Need to rearrange delivery, no idea how long that will take.

I don't think the crazy value of BBALL and AFL cards will last forever, i'm thinking once things get back to normal COVID-19 wise, then people will spend their money on other things like going out, travelling o/s etc. Could be wrong though, its happened many times before lol.

Agree, the fact a Rowell DPS card is selling more than a Judd SPX DPS is crazy to me. Especially when the Rowell is just initialed by him

give it 2 months or so for the world to get back on its axis and the natural order of cards will sought that out..
Two months.....I don’t think so but 12 - 24 Months.....yes.

I am not convinced the NBA will go back to the cheap box prices that we were able to buy at back in February but I do think they will drop a bit. That will see people that have jumped into the AFL space bounce back into NBA when it is a bit more affordable.

The reason for the NBA Box (and some Cards) price jump is not COVID alone so just because COVID May get under control does not mean the box prices will normalise. What happened was on multiple levels, each event colliding into the next causing the buying frenzy to get bigger and bigger.

First there was the 2019-20 ROOKIE Crop (Zion, Ja, RJ, Rui and more) this saw the 2019-20 Boxes jumping off the shelves. Then there was the tragic death of Kobe Bryant, this saw people invest in older boxes due to the fact that there would be no more Kobe Autograph cards in boxes. Then COVID kicked in shutting down the factories meaning that 2019-20 boxes became hard to get so more people bought older boxes (breakers included) then the Michael Jordan Documentary brought millions of people back into the hobby which saw card prices dramatically increase and sealed box prices jump even more.

At this point places like DACW and Blowout Cards started having to buy back sealed boxes just to satisfy the demand and older boxes became rarer and rarer. THIS is why I have rambled on so much; with virtually no older boxes left to break it means the only new NBA boxes are available but there are still millions of people in the hobby; in the past the demand could be spread out over many many years of releases....this no longer can be done as the stock just isn’t there.

So even when COVID is under Control I still think the demand will outweigh the supply and cause sealed box prices to stay high. AFL Cards have the luxury of a smaller market and still plenty of older stock so it should normalise when all the ‘breakers’ looking for a quick fix at reasonable prices return back into the NBA space. How long this takes no one knows; if Supremacy 2021 is anything like the 2019 release it could mean another jump in prices 🤷‍♂️

Sorry for the long winded story but I think people need to know what has led to this BOOM.......

Here is an interesting stat about the collecting boom, Panini processed 7 million autographs in the past 12 months and they are still not meeting demand in terms of products. The issue is they physically cant have the players signing any more than they can......hence why we are seeing some older lesser known players back signing again....... to fulfill demand.

For the Australian market, yes its strong and there is the FOMO element of getting boxes and cases however we do not have an international market driving us here...... its the number of people deciding to be breakers and want to earn their cash from doing box/case breaks and the fact we also have large numbers of people in lock down (Vic) with not much to do and not spending money on going out, dinners, movies, concerts etc.

I think it will settle down over the next 6-12 months...... next NRL release is in March next year and the next AFL release will be the same.

Cricket will fill a bit of the gap but I think you will see some people with disposable income buying up the cards they are missing for their collections until early next year.

For those that care, I picked my box up today and finally got around to busting tonight. The drought is finally broken people 😃

E505F057-B901-48F0-89EA-11C51640D2FB.jpeg

E3E036BC-00EB-4FC5-8793-4C725877B933.jpeg

I see Cherry listed 10-15 cases worth this morning. I guess they had stock after all. Now they can list at higher prices after offering $4k per case

I see Cherry listed 10-15 cases worth this morning. I guess they had stock after all. Now they can list at higher prices after offering $4k per case
Very generous of them to seem nice by reducing the price from $500 to $399.95! Also, not overly impressed with Popcultcha listing a case on eBay for $6k plus a couple of boxes there too ($489 I think) and they can't get them onto their website although they have/had them in store for $300 a box. That is hardly looking after their non local collector regular customers.

I think that going forward, the businesses that buy wholesale should only be allowed to sell their stock at RRP to keep it affordable for collectors. It is hardly fair that shops/businesses can buy the lion's share of the stock and basically ask whatever price they want as they have most of the available supply.

Very generous of them to seem nice by reducing the price from $500 to $399.95! Also, not overly impressed with Popcultcha listing a case on eBay for $6k plus a couple of boxes there too ($489 I think) and they can't get them onto their website although they have/had them in store for $300 a box. That is hardly looking after their non local collector regular customers.

This exactly why I was so impressed with Card Zone selling his stock (one box a customer) for $259 a box!

Selling packs for $12.50, marking them as a discount from $17. Absolute disgrace. Anyone that buys from them is a moron and part of the problem.

Tell you what though, a lot of their individual 2020 Dominance cards were way unders on eBay!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom