Do you think there are investors out there killing collectors?

But in those days, basketball cards were THE thing, right? Everyone was into them. It was THE fad. Hell, I opened a small shop in 94 and got out by 97 and made a killing. The guy I sold to went belly up. It was a goldmine back then because everyone was doing it. (By the way, we sold more Spiderman and X-Men cards than any NBA or AFL).

There is no reason for kids to get into these days. No TV coverage of the NBA on FTA. No Jordan... no shops selling. They'd almost have to be pushed into it.

That's very true.

Coverage has been shocking, gone are the days of free to air NBA action and the game of the week etc.

I remember venturing into a shop once, about 11 months ago, and asked what Basketball they had. They gave me the weirdest look....
All they had was non sports stuff, like star wars, that time gate show? Where you select 6 symbols and it connects to another gate somewhere in the universe? Anyway, yeah, Basketball Cards ain't what it was like back in the 90's.

That's very true.

Coverage has been shocking, gone are the days of free to air NBA action and the game of the week etc.

I remember venturing into a shop once, about 11 months ago, and asked what Basketball they had. They gave me the weirdest look....
All they had was non sports stuff, like star wars, that time gate show? Where you select 6 symbols and it connects to another gate somewhere in the universe? Anyway, yeah, Basketball Cards ain't what it was like back in the 90's.
I believe the NBA must take a lot of the responsibility. Ultimately it is driven entirely by money and the amounts they ask for broadcast rights means no free to air can afford the license (well one of the big ones could, but its not worth their while).

The same has happened to the EPL over the past few seasons. SBS hasn't been able to afford the rights, which really sucks for the non pay TV people :(.

If they made their licenses cheaper, they would have far more exposure and popularity (although it seems the EPL doesnt really need it)

I believe the NBA must take a lot of the responsibility. Ultimately it is driven entirely by money and the amounts they ask for broadcast rights means no free to air can afford the license (well one of the big ones could, but its not worth their while).

The same has happened to the EPL over the past few seasons. SBS hasn't been able to afford the rights, which really sucks for the non pay TV people :(.

If they made their licenses cheaper, they would have far more exposure and popularity (although it seems the EPL doesnt really need it)

i dont think EPL or NBA need it (both are the best leagues in the world IMO) and i dont think they really care too much about us here in Oz :(.

That's true, nowadays, broadcasting rights are very expensive.. making many free to air tv stations to let go....

but I think it's also dependent on the number of viewers.. they won't make enough money if there is not enough rating.... right??? so, that's another setback...

they are all interrelated and I tihnk it's gonna be tougher in the future..

i dont think EPL or NBA need it (both are the best leagues in the world IMO) and i dont think they really care too much about us here in Oz :(.

I think thats the problem.

The EPL can forget about Australia, because of their large Asian fan base.

The NBA on the other hand should really look to other avenues to improve their relations. This could be a great initiative with the success of the foreign imports recently (Ming #1 in 02, Bogut #1 in 05 and Bargnani #1 in 06 Nashy,Dirk,Parker, etc etc), but I guess they're a little short-sighted.

The EPL can forget about Australia, because of their large Asian fan base.

The NBA on the other hand should really look to other avenues to improve their relations. This could be a great initiative with the success of the foreign imports recently (Ming #1 in 02, Bogut #1 in 05 and Bargnani #1 in 06 Nashy,Dirk,Parker, etc etc), but I guess they're a little short-sighted.

In fact, EPL should be big here too.. coz in Asia, Australian players are very popular as well.. there are many Australian getting paid over 50,000 pounds a week wage in Premier League and most of the national players earn above 10,000 pounds per week... and i like some of the players very much, like Cahil...... Neil.. etc.

but TV rights for premier league is very huge.. British Sky network paid 1.8 billions per 3 years for premier league but they still make substantial amount of profits all over the world, on the other hand, NBA is getting unpopular nowadays.. unlike 90s.. I dunno why.... without the help of internet, I don't think i can really support and watch NBA too...

I miss watching the NBA games on TV
the only reason i i knew cards were still around were
ebay and here i think my wife is cursing they day i found out about cards again lol

Back
Top Bottom