Do you think there are investors out there killing collectors?

nandalinnaung

Dwight Howard #12
Real Name
Nanda Linn Aung
eBay User
nandalinnaung
I am a bit bored lately.. not because I could or couldn't buy Dwight Howard cards... just because of the premium cards being acquired by some people who would pay just crazy money.

Today, i won ultra platinum /100 Dwight Howard.. at 50 cents with 1 bid... and the numbering is 12/100.. isn't it odd to realize that nobody wants his jersey # card?? but will pay hundreds for some of his rookies that they don't even collect?? I don't understand the passion towards cards....

Also today, me and other 3-4 Dwight Howard collectors bid on a card, and finally ended up into someone else... it happens frequently and past 12 months i thought they were set chasers, but no other cards in buyer's feedbacks were one of them.. and after a while, it will just come back on ebay AGAIN..:confused:

I understand that premium high end cards are easy to sell and hard to find.. but sometimes, it kills hobby because I can hardly buy Dwight Howard cards.. coz I can't always pay book value and it hinders my collection..

anyway, this isn't a rant, just a bit surprised that there aren't many genuine collectors on ebay..:shock:

Maybe my post isn't suitable around here, coz here we have mostly genuine collectors.... just wanted to know how others think regarding this matter though...

My question is will they make great return-from-investment for buying rare cards?? and sell high later? coz from what i understand, ebay will just get the cut, the more times the card goes on sale, the better cut ebay will get paid.. #-o

Thanks for reading..

mmm i dunno, if i want a card badly enough i'll pay whatever it takes. if it's just an arenas jersey or auto that's not rare i'll wait for a bargain. doesn't affect me that much - 'cept for some of the sets, as i've mentioned before with Mr Harper's SOTT :)

Fair Enough :)

I am just curious.. I am happy to lose any auction coz i always consider myself i didn't pay enough.. regardless of BV..

Speaking of Arenas, I haven't got his auto yet, he must be selling pretty high with his high end and autos...

But Bulls auto, i think thousands of people across the world collect bulls championship players autos, consequently driving up all the bull signatures... good luck with your SOTT too..

mmm i dunno, if i want a card badly enough i'll pay whatever it takes. if it's just an arenas jersey or auto that's not rare i'll wait for a bargain. doesn't affect me that much - 'cept for some of the sets, as i've mentioned before with Mr Harper's SOTT :)

I reckon if these eBay speculators are banking on making quick bucks through basketball cards, they've got another think coming.

I don't think that's the case much Nan - there might be guys doing that with very rare stuff or Exquisite cards but other than that I think all is fair and u just have to get used to - u win some - u lose some'

I lost a KG Ultimate Coll #21/50 the other day - got sniped - I already have the #21/25 and wanted the #21/50 to go next to it. Didn't have much $ - bid up to $13 and lost it to a guy who just seemed to buy random serially numbered cards of everyone!!!

It can be frustrating but lets face it we all get steals as well - like u said Howard #12/100 for 99 cents is awesome!!! U shouldn't be lamenting that - u should be thanking yr lucky stars it slipped through!!!

Just my 2 cents!! I've got some steals coming in the mail!!!

I don't think that's the case much Nan - there might be guys doing that with very rare stuff or Exquisite cards but other than that I think all is fair and u just have to get used to - u win some - u lose some'

I lost a KG Ultimate Coll #21/50 the other day - got sniped - I already have the #21/25 and wanted the #21/50 to go next to it. Didn't have much $ - bid up to $13 and lost it to a guy who just seemed to buy random serially numbered cards of everyone!!!

It can be frustrating but lets face it we all get steals as well - like u said Howard #12/100 for 99 cents is awesome!!! U shouldn't be lamenting that - u should be thanking yr lucky stars it slipped through!!!

Just my 2 cents!! I've got some steals coming in the mail!!!

Thanks for ur opinion Al..

yes, i am happy that i got dwight 12/100 at 50 cents (altough the seller added a few extra features to the card, i am assuming it's a cheap card so nobody would be interested in)....

like your 21/xxx case, the person who sniped is clearly collecting jersey # cards.. i was talking about random cards, like patches, exquisite, ultimate, autographics..... half of them also have eBay stores.. LOL

i am happy to lose any auction coz i always consider that i didn't bid enough, but those cards will just resurface after a while and i think they may not make their money back from their investments... just curious whether those guys are killing the hobby or wasting money themselves or how do they make money from these cards they bought? coz economical point of view, host (eBay) will benefit from multiplexing the same item sale.... i.e listing fees, extras fees, commission from final sale...

i just wanted to know how others think..

cheers

Gotta love collecting an unpopular player, definitely no investors buying Toine! lol. Well actually they did back around 97-99.

Anyone buying RC cards as an investment to make a return obviously didn't earn their wealth with being intelligent.

You'll find each and every year, when new Rookies come out, there's people jumping all over certain cards, releases, etc. But it's usually the same ol' people buying the new MJs, Lebrons, etc...

I do see that there are certain players being bought out, and now demand a lot higher premiums than they are worth IMO.

I mean, $2.5K for a Dwight Exquisite, $13K for a Lebron Exquisite. Sure they're the HIGHEST of HIGH END products, but I don't believe these cards are worth this much, nor will they provide a "return" for the buyer 10 years on.

I do understand that these 2 players I mentioned, they're both young, they both have a LONG career ahead of each other, but I mean, given the ratio to players, and young talent to veterans, and leadership, it's HIGHLY unlikely any of these players will ever win 6 titles, and become the next MJ, and will most likely be forgotten about 5-10 years after they retire.....

Would you see their RCs being that expensive after this?

EDIT:
I will add, that from my own perspective, I'm not in it for any personal gain (collecting Devin Harris). He's simply my favourite player on my favourite team.

Anyone buying RC cards as an investment to make a return obviously didn't earn their wealth with being intelligent.

I agree with that.. but post 03-04, rookie cards are jsy auto and they are just reaching top of the ceiling.....

collecting A.Walker is awesome for you.. but when i return to hobby, i didn't think that much and chose to collect Dwight Howard, consequently pretty hard to chase his cards...:(

I mean, $2.5K for a Dwight Exquisite, $13K for a Lebron Exquisite. Sure they're the HIGHEST of HIGH END products, but I don't believe these cards are worth this much, nor will they provide a "return" for the buyer 10 years on.

I do understand that these 2 players I mentioned, they're both young, they both have a LONG career ahead of each other, but I mean, given the ratio to players, and young talent to veterans, and leadership, it's HIGHLY unlikely any of these players will ever win 6 titles, and become the next MJ, and will most likely be forgotten about 5-10 years after they retire.....

Scotty,

very good point, that's why i wanna know why people paid alot of money to those exquisite/ultimate/high end rookie cards and then sell again.. I am not talking about those who bought and kept them in their PCs.. it's admirable thing to do.. but buy and sell.. ??? last year, Chris Paul exquisite RC JSY auto reached 3200 and last week, it was sold less than 1.5G... the difference alone can buy Jordon graded PSA9 or BGS 9 fleer RC easily.. why why?#-o

I know what you mean bud.

But in the end, I have learnt, that you need "these" people in this hobby.

Being a set collector, it's amazing what and whom these professional flippers know. And collecting from down here in OZ, is all that much harder. Without these people, I would never have completed certain sets.

Though, I agree, it is a pain when it's just for a PC player item.

I reckon it's the high-end releases that have decimated collecting. It has simply put it right out of the price range of many.

They may be dominating in auctions but they are also the ones who buy high end boxes for the chance of a big hit and then sell the rest - this is the only way most of us will ever get a chance at owning an Exq etc.

They may be dominating in auctions but they are also the ones who buy high end boxes for the chance of a big hit and then sell the rest - this is the only way most of us will ever get a chance at owning an Exq etc.

Very good point bud :D

Without box breakers, will would never see many of these cool cards and would never own a single exquisite.

Heck, even till this day, I am way too scared to break a box of this stuff.

Well, yes, that is true.

But they do make different kinds of budget for all walks of life. So, the releases of Exquisite and UD Blacks have just catered for the more well off I guess.

They've put them out of reach of the next generation of collectors.

I own my own home, a holiday house and have a good income. I can buy what I choose when I choose to, but what is the incentive for the kid who gets $20 a week to start collecting? So he can go and buy a couple of mid-range to lower end packs? Why bother?

If I was just starting to collect now, I'd have a think about it and give it a miss all together, I reckon.

I own my own home, a holiday house and have a good income. I can buy what I choose when I choose to, but what is the incentive for the kid who gets $20 a week to start collecting? So he can go and buy a couple of mid-range to lower end packs? Why bother?

If I was just starting to collect now, I'd have a think about it and give it a miss all together, I reckon.

If i was a kid and i was getting $20 a week (i would be cheering 15yrs ago ;)) i would be saving 2 maybe 3 weeks and buy a box or go on ebay if you are a player collector. Sure $40 - $60 may buy you 1 high end card but it can also get you 12 * $5 gu's. Buying individual packs is different because most card stores (not so much ebayers) factor in overheads on the price as well as profit - hence the $15-$30 packs i used to see at the card shaq in the city.
When i was buying packs they were about $5 - $7 a pack back in the mid 90's.

I can buy what I choose when I choose to, but what is the incentive for the kid who gets $20 a week to start collecting? So he can go and buy a couple of mid-range to lower end packs? Why bother?

Yes.. that is a big set back for young collectors and kids...

that's why i don't see many young people are too much into collecting.. and UD and Topps keep producing high end cards.. so that the price keep going up and up... and there are many investors who will play the market price.. I am not against with set collectors, and i appreciate set collectors because i also like to complete sets and it's very sweet feeling when you complete one. but at this moment, hobby is giving no chance for those who cannot afford high end cards...

True, I hear what you are saying.

But it all depends on what the kid is expecting.

I know when i was a toddler, high end stuff like Emotion and Flair were out of my books. I was just so happy to walk on down to the shop, and pick up a pack of SE edition with my $6.00.

I know I wasn't doing a why bother attitude, and I'm sure many kids nowadays would be the same if they started out?

But in those days, basketball cards were THE thing, right? Everyone was into them. It was THE fad. Hell, I opened a small shop in 94 and got out by 97 and made a killing. The guy I sold to went belly up. It was a goldmine back then because everyone was doing it. (By the way, we sold more Spiderman and X-Men cards than any NBA or AFL).

There is no reason for kids to get into these days. No TV coverage of the NBA on FTA. No Jordan... no shops selling. They'd almost have to be pushed into it.

Back
Top Bottom