Do you collect base cards of your PC players?

A_Iverson_I

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Brett
eBay User
theanswer333
I notice a lot of people who collect a player just go for their GU/patches/autos (their better cards per se) & I think it's a shame..... I like to get ANY card I can get of a player (even oddball ones).

So, do YOU collect base cards/cheaper inserts of your player? If not, why not?

Im collecting Lebron James at the moment.
I dont really collect his base/inserts because id rather save the money to go towards his autos because of the price the autos are.
I do have some of his base & inserts but im not out to collect them.

I do however collect Shawn Kemp too & have a couple of hundred base/inserts of his. I wouldnt mind getting some GU/Autos of his hint hint :p

I have only just started collecting again after 15 years away from it. There are so many different sets now i decided to collect only Jordan (i know, there was probably a cheaper option lol) I intend to collect anything i can get my hands on regarding his cards. Eventually ill invest in his RC and XRC, but for now im trying to fill the gaps from 89-97 including all inserts and as many oddballs that come my way. But thats just me :)

Chris.

No, base just don't interest me I'm sad to say - only exception is Kevin Willis, I am going for all his cards including base. Part of the reason I don't is cuz there's so damn many and it's uneconomical if you have to pay postage.

I notice a lot of people who collect a player just go for their GU/patches/autos (their better cards per se) & I think it's a shame..... I like to get ANY card I can get of a player (even oddball ones).

Yeah I think it's a shame too. I collect any and all cards of my PC players, KG being the main one. The only problem then becomes storage if it is a veteran and has thousands of cards total. I don't mind it though and like looking back on the progression of the card designs, uniforms etc. Working on mainly Celtics stuff at the moment and rookie season but I will eventually fill in the gaps on twolves too!

Cheers

Matt

I totally agree. It is my goal to find as many cards/card variations of Alonzo Mourning as I can (especially the 90's!). Alot of people only collect stuff that is listed in Beckett too. Beckett just lists stuff they have information on. I absolutely love the oddballs. The more and different the oddballs I get the more exciting. If I see something I've never seen before, I have to have it!!. Some people are specific collectors and collect specific cards of their players. Each one to their own. Whatever makes you excited about the hobby is what it is all about. :D

Considering I have a rather small room, maybe it is wise for me to just collect GU and AUTOs but it is not as fun just going for the big cards because they can get very expensive. Ok, base are a bit plain sometimes but there are some nice ones too and like Jason said, you can see an evolution of card design. Inserts are definitely highly collectible, I believe they are better than many of the GUs these days. For me, I collect everything, including the oddball stuff.

i onley collect base of my players because i dont have the big $$ to spend altough i am saving up for i nice oj mayo auto or auto/patch

I love collecting the base cards, as others have said you can see the change in card designs from the early 90's all the way through to today. i have hundreds of pippen base cards and oddball cards which i think some are just as cool as his new cards which include patch/auto etc.

I love collecting the base cards, as others have said you can see the change in card designs from the early 90's all the way through to today. i have hundreds of pippen base cards and oddball cards which i think some are just as cool as his new cards which include patch/auto etc.

I agree with the others, I also dont collect base cards to save money for inserts and autos of my two PC players AI and Lebron, and sad to say I never have any gu of any player. :lol:. patch will do, but gu wont. Collecting base cards of your PC player is only for your self-satisfaction. :)

All cards i can get. I've got some odd-ball cards for patrick ewing, Jalen rose and kevin garnett - ones that aren't listed on the beckett database and are from national card conventions, magazines and the such. To me a player collection is just that, a collection of the players cards which suggests you have or are after all the cards of said player. Or maybe it's just that i am a born collector.....

I like base cards but I think that is because I collected Rugby League cards when there were only base cards to collect.

I collect anything with the barry Bonds name on it, but as for my other players i prefer to collect higher end stuff :)

I collect all Anderson base cards....and its funny, most rookie cards these days although they have patches and autos are still part of the base set!

Cheers
Matt

I collect all Kidd and Garnett cards.

I hate how the market has shifted such that the GU/Auto are now the most tradable cards rather than base cards. You break a box that offers you 2x GU and 2x Auto with 50 base cards for example, and 3 of those hits could easily be duds and therefore become untradable. That Mile Ilic chrome refractor rookie auto thats been floating around here is a good example of what im talking about.

nice thread ! :D

I have liked to collect Base cards.

Because there are nice looking scene and very nice description(especially old topps cards) at back of the card.

For example,

This credential is very nice card. But if you see backside of this, there is just stat. =(

97_98_ex_cre_rasheed-1.jpg

On contrary, certain base card has nice description like this

-skybox.jpg

Sometimes you can enjoy whole scene from base cards

Not many but not less Parallel cards don't show background or full scene.
olajuwonbase.jpg

Furthermore, you can find your favorite players at another players' base cards.

(I'm not sure this card is for Rahim. Looks like for ZO. lol)
rahim.jpg

Or you can share player's thoughts

--011.jpg

I have had plan to scan of backside of my special(like above kinds) base cards but my scanner was out of order. =(

Anyway, I tried to collect all cards include base cards but I gave up.

Because I have restrict room. If I have much room for keeping all cards, I might still collect all base cards even if I don't like certain players'.

Not great but here are my base cards collection of ZO and Big Shot Rob

ZO - Base Cards pictures by nbacardDOTnet - Photobucket

z horry base pictures by nbacardDOTnet - Photobucket

Hope to see other's =)

BTW, scanning base cards makes people really exahausted. =(

Back
Top Bottom