Digital Camera/Photography Suggestions...PLEASE

Benny J

Mr Big Shot...
Real Name
Ben
eBay User
15DVS
Hi Guys,
Well as you know Chenara and I are travelling at the moment and we have really only just begun. We are heading to Europe soon and after some of the photos we have tried to take in Costa Rica havent turned out real well....we are considering purchasing a new camera.

Now...your help. :v:

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on what we should be looking for.

We are after something reasonably compact (as we are travelling) but will need something with decent zoom (our current camera only has 3x :() and ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS would be great.

I know Matty J is keen on photography....but i am sure there are a few more of you out there.

Like i said, any help/suggestions would be appreciated!! :D

Thanks in advance :cool:

Benny J

Hey mate - digi cams (I assume that's what you're looking for) have gotten a lot cheaper lately so you're in luck! :)

I'm not really up to speed with what is the latest & greatest right now; but when I was researching my camera purchase a couple years back Canon seemed like they made about the best cameras out there & I have been pretty happy with my one I got (Powershot A95).... not sure how it is now, but when I was looking a lot of people in reviews I read said the software for Kodak cameras really sucked.

One thing you have to consider when buying is what kind of batteries would you prefer - you can get cameras that take their proprietary camera batteries or you can get ones that take normal AA batteries; my canon takes AA batteries - however you would be well advised that standard AA batteries won't do in a high powered device such as this; I usually buy the energizer lithium batteries.... they last a long long time & boast they take up to 700 shots - think they are like $16 for 4 if I remember correctly?

As for the Zoom - you probably know this already, but just in-case you don't - don't pay any attention to the digital zoom of the camera - only the optical zoom matters.

Avoid compact Panasonics; Sony or Olympus make the best compact cameras, I have an Olympus C740UZ (which is about 4 years old now, so im sure theres lots of new models in the same line) and its fairly small, takes a great shot, and has a 10X Optical Zoom (42mm-420mm, so no good for wide angle)

Umm, but yeh, Panasonics have a bad reputation for noise, Olympus, Sony even Fuji are probably your best bets

Let me know if you want to know anything else

I recently got an Olmypus SP-550UZ with an 18x optical zoom (down to 28mm so great for wide angle). I am very, very happy with it. Its at the top end of compacts (about $600 here in Oz) but worth every cent. Only 7.1 megapix which is maybe the thing that could be improved.

I recently got an Olmypus SP-550UZ with an 18x optical zoom (down to 28mm so great for wide angle). I am very, very happy with it. Its at the top end of compacts (about $600 here in Oz) but worth every cent. Only 7.1 megapix which is maybe the thing that could be improved.

Sounds like something i am after.

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to try to pick something up duty free in Heathrow (London)...so i will let you know what i end up with!!

Mate - if you're thinking about getting into photography, u gotta go with a dSLR... however, compact they aint! If you did get one Canon's best, then Nikon and Olympus are good too.

If you're going for a compact I'm no expert, but Canon are great and Kodak are shit ;)

Personally I have a Nikon D50 dSLR which is awesome, but the current D70's much better so I'd recommend that if you're looking for a value dSLR.

i want a d70 but im not allowed :( Missus is worried i will spend too much $$$ on lenses haha

I am no expert but i have a fuji f810 (i bought it 3 yrs ago) i have always preferred non AA battery camera's and i wanted to do some video with it (the video function is awsome).

I am no expert but i have a fuji f810 (i bought it 3 yrs ago) i have always preferred non AA battery camera's and i wanted to do some video with it (the video function is awsome).

Just wondering why you prefer non AA battery cameras Ace? LiIons are more expensive and if it dies in the field you cant just go into a shop and grab some extras for the day...I have a couple of both and deffinately prefer the AA ones

a quality LiIon will take Hundreds of shots no worries on my dSLR they're far better, and charge super fast. Just carry a couple of spares!

like i said, ive got a couple of cameras with each of LiIons and AA's and i reckon AAs are better, plus "a couple of spares" will cost you $100+ considering they are normally around $50 each

like i said, ive got a couple of cameras with each of LiIons and AA's and i reckon AAs are better, plus "a couple of spares" will cost you $100+ considering they are normally around $50 each

While on holidays you can charge the camera at night and your up and running - there is no hassle of having to find a shop that will stock lithium AA's so you will end up buying crappy AA's that will only last maybe 1-2 days then you have to buy more (or carry heaps around). I prefer 1 battery to last a couple of days and then charge and start again. In the long run i think its cheaper (i only have 1 battery for my camera - didnt buy a spare or need 1).

Just my preference i guess :v:.

Thanks for the additional info guys...

The Larger camera's are the dSLR's right? Just looking at them...they look a lot better but also seem to big for what we are idealy after.

Is it worth finding a bit of extra space for these?? What are the major benifits?

Thanks for the additional info guys...

The Larger camera's are the dSLR's right? Just looking at them...they look a lot better but also seem to big for what we are idealy after.

Is it worth finding a bit of extra space for these?? What are the major benifits?

SLRs are the ones with interchangable lenses, they will add a LOT of space to what you need it for Benny, coz you will need a different lens for each situation (close ups, land scapes, etc)

They will take a much better photo though...advantages are much less noise at higher ISO (sensitivities), so good for low light shots, basically instantaneous start up, no shutter lag, etc...

SLRs are the ones with interchangable lenses, they will add a LOT of space to what you need it for Benny, coz you will need a different lens for each situation (close ups, land scapes, etc)

Based on this i am assuming that there isnt a "one lense does all" type lense?

I might just look for a good compact digi cam and then look to upgrade later! :rolleyes:

Ment to reply to this earlier but it slipped my mind. I am using a Kodak Z710 for all my pics. I bought it before I went overseas. I was considering an SLR, but I didn't want the extra bulk to cary around. The 710 was on special for $288 at the time, you'llget it cheaper overseas anywhere I'd say being a slightly older model. It has 10x optical zoom a very nice lense and some nice changable features/specs. All the different modes, sport/night/etc. Timer delays etc. It's user friendly. You can buy a lense adaptor to add extra filters and other lenses. The only bad thing with these, no image stabilization which is really noticable in night mode. I took pics in a few museums with different lighting situations and the darker areas turn out alot better with the night mode, but you need to be very still, or use a tripod (or mini tripod). The shots on auto are great, high res. The sport mode is fantastic as well. It's just a camera that needs practice to master really, but it's done the job for me so far, although not at a 10/10 due to what I mentioned about the image stabilization. It would be a suberb camera if it wasn't for that, especially at that price.

Certainly looks the goods for that price Benny. Kinda like mine, but the Sony appears to have the image stabilization which is good.

Back
Top Bottom