DAMAGED, ALTERED or TOUCHED UP cards etc

A1CardsandGaming

@ A1, we love collecting as much as you do !
Real Name
Terry
eBay User
www.A1CardsandGaming.com
Hi everyone,

First of all, this thread is in no way directed at the honest members on this great site :thumbsup:

My biggest concern is the condition of certain cards from time to time and have been trying to think of a way sorting out this issue.

After years of collecting I have had to learn the hard way as far as putting cards in Penny sleeves, hard sleeves and the "old school" dreaded thick screw downs from the 90's.... some of you may know what i am talking about with cards getting stuck to them :blink:

Of course there are cards that come out of packs damaged or are manufactured with a fault ! but the main issue is the actual handling of the cards that may not be damaged !

My issue is that alot of other damage on cards can be avoided So using what i have learnt over the years through my own errors made with storing and caring for my own cards and from some bad experiences with cards i have recieved..... I just hope some of this info will help someone out there :)

LIVE BREAKS or breaks in general
While i understand cards can be busted already damaged the following things cant help !

1. watching live breaks... cringing at hearing cards being dropped on the table after they have been looked at ! ouch
or fingers all over them :( *a finger print on a stainless steele sword will rust a finerprint onto it if left for a couple of months.... what is it doing to out cards ?
the whole sliding another card over the top of another to keep it all such a mystery :lol: what about the surface scratching or even chipping that can happen while doing this.

CARDS PUT DIRECT INTO ONE TOUCH OR SCREW DOWNS

2. Although on face value, this would have to be the perfect way to protect that great PC card ! However, there are so many times that the wrong sized card is put in a case that is either too big or too small !? squashed in or shaking around :(
I have also removed cards from one touch or hard cases to double check condition and found a small piece of plastic from the holder stuck in the card, or the case did not have a totally smooth finish where the card is placed and a dent has been left on the card !
MY POINT, double check that hard case or hard sleeves !

CARD PUT INTO PENNY SLEEVES

3. Similar to what i stated above regarding hard cases, I have noticed quite a few different style of NBA card that are circulating with some damage that could easily be avoided. These are the couple that i have noticed

0607 Ex RC auto's, I am always coming across the pointed foil being damaged after getting caught on penny sleeves.... maybe take more time or just use a bigger sleeve, it works a treat :D

Trilogy clear auto's, So many times i get them so tightly squashed into a penny sleeve that i can't even get it out to have a good look at it.... I just cringe at the thought of how scratched it got being forced into it :cry: ..... another really good solution.... use a bigger penny sleeve :rolleyes:

Card thicker than base cards, Stop using the small penny sleeves.... You might be able to get a slightly thicker card into the small penny sleeve if you put a small 45 degree nick on the corner of the sleeve (not while the card is in it :blink: ) putting the final corner of the card in the nicked corner and it tends to go in alot easier ;)

CARDS THAT HAVE BEEN CUT, COLORED OR ALTERED IN ANY WAY or SELLERS dealing cards without disclosing faults (not all come up in pics)

Not really sure how to deal with this issue yet but happy to hear some suggestions.... I honest believe that there is some way of tracking down the people doing this !

Anyway, that is the end of my rant :lol: I have no idea if it is helpful or not but looking forward to hearing what you all think

Regards, Terry :v:

I see your point on a few issuses, what really gets me going is that some people, not necessarily anyone on this site that squeeze a jsy/patch card into a top loader thats way too small for it and when you receive it, you literally have to cut it out so not to damage it! You wonder how in the world they got it in there in the first place!

dude dont even get me started.. got one today off of the bay that has me really annoyed.

not only was it $14.99 "registered" post (then turns up with $2.28 shipping and not registered)

But it has 2 creases through the front. Obviously he didn't mention this in his auction.

Was a durant dual auto for my set aswell :mad:

dude dont even get me started.. got one today off of the bay that has me really annoyed.

not only was it $14.99 "registered" post (then turns up with $2.28 shipping and not registered)

But it has 2 creases through the front. Obviously he didn't mention this in his auction.

I'm actually faced with that exact scenario twice over with ebay atm, going through the paypal court system!

so many issues...ur such a bl00dy whinger! love the rant!!! i read on hk where people were using white gloves to touch their cards...thats the extreme....i got a finest refractor last week that had fingerprints all over it...i cleaned it by spitting on it and wiping with a tissue....good as new! i dont think theres a way around any of it...over a period of time the cardboard is going to go yellow anyway so ur fighting a losing battle. i still struggle with penny sleeves with normal size cards, there are penny sleeves though with the edges cut off at an angle which are pretty cool.

as for altering cards, i used to use liquid paper to make the edges whiter and also used coloured texta to fill in any dings on corners...i also coloured in an UD bulls three peat card around the sides black because it was badly dinged, then put it in a screw down and sold it to the card shop lady who just opend up for 20 bucks credit. 2 weeks later she abused me because i ripped her off....her fault for not opening the screw down!

as for altering cards, i used to use liquid paper to make the edges whiter and also used coloured texta to fill in any dings on corners...i also coloured in an UD bulls three peat card around the sides black because it was badly dinged, then put it in a screw down and sold it to the card shop lady who just opend up for 20 bucks credit. 2 weeks later she abused me because i ripped her off....her fault for not opening the screw down!

:lol::lol::lol:

I used to do this in the early 90s as a kid, would sell cards with coloured in corners to card shops for cash or trade :D

those were the days!

When I put my cards into sleeves I put two sleeves in to the sleeve receiving the card at 45%. Then I slide the card between the sleeves and put in one corner and then angle the card down to the other corner thus protecting the card corner as it passes the sleeve edge. Only put in about 2-3mm of the card when starting the angling bit.

I'm not sure how to follow that one ^slobby:blink:

A micro fiber cloth or a soft cotton rag is good for wiping off the fingerprints and old gum or wax stains from cards. Vintage cards from the 60's and 70's often have this sort of residue and it comes off quite easily if one rubs gently in a circular motion as if buffing wax on a car. Wax on, wax off! (Mr. Miagi)

putting a small 1/4" or about 1/2 centimeter slice on the edge of a penny sleeve will help slide the card in without chipping the corner. It works really well and only takes a second. Better than having a card go from Mint to EX in one easy slip! It's fair to say that the right size sleeve and top loader is equally important.

I still have a few old vintage cards in screw downs. Nothing I have received in the past 10 years finds its way into that type of holder anymore. The one touch magnetic or single screw holders are very nice but again it is imperative to have the right size. Most of my traders go right from pack to sleeve, then top loader and finally a team bag to seal them up for the trade. I store hundreds like this and can flip through them easily without fear of damage. It also keeps the top loader looking new. No scratches.

I don't trade, buy, or sell a vintage card without assessing it's condition. I don't care for unscrupulous methods meant to deceive. It ranks up there with pack searching or weighing high end packs looking for the hits and other methods. Just my opinion.

I too see these expensive breaks on you tube and the guy has his thumb in the auto!!! What is he thinking?:blink:

so many issues...ur such a bl00dy whinger! love the rant!!! i read on hk where people were using white gloves to touch their cards...thats the extreme....i got a finest refractor last week that had fingerprints all over it...i cleaned it by spitting on it and wiping with a tissue....good as new! i dont think theres a way around any of it...over a period of time the cardboard is going to go yellow anyway so ur fighting a losing battle. i still struggle with penny sleeves with normal size cards, there are penny sleeves though with the edges cut off at an angle which are pretty cool.

:lol: a bit of spit and a whipe..... that is some funny shiznit (sorry but that word just seemed to fit so well :D )

White gloves are over the top but what is wrong with just holding the card by the edge !?

All to do about nothing if you ask me.

In the last 8-9 years, almost every thick card I have gotten out of boxes or in trades would rate a 8-9 at most. I have yet to see the PERFECT card out of a pack. Why is this, because as much as you write about how to handle cards, you have NO IDEA how they organize or package this stuff. We assume that its going to be handled correctly and that during the production and shipping, that we are getting 100 MINT cards in a box. NOT!

I do agree though that everyone should use a standard to keep the cards from the point of purchase in the best condition possible. Using a standard method would not be reasonable but close inspection of your trading should be made so your happy with your newest score. I do believe that everyone who is INTO the hobby will do everything to keep a card as perfect as it was the day they got it.

Just think about how many high end cards we all have broken where there are dings, chips, wrong autos, miss numbering, wrong jersey piece or patch... I can keep going on. What it comes down to is what you feel about your experience and what you now have in your hand.

This is why Beckett's is just a rough guide to what you think a card is worth, because the two most over used phrases ever used in life are I LOVE YOU and MINT!

Mike

Just buy graded cards simple :) I'll put up a pic of a card inserter I got from way back when it was free with a pack of Ultro Pro sleeves! It's awesome!

Alot of ppl busting packs not using scissors contribute to the damaging the cards further...really hate seeing on youtube etc.

Tell me about it , Most of these rip off merchants are from the states sick of paying big bucks on postage and seeing $3 Postage sticker another scam for them , funny thing is ( Not all Just Some of the scammers i have dealt with on the bay ) they cry like babies when you say they have to pay registered post :lol::lol::lol: But are first to try and get $15 for postage since they have had so much trouble with internationals ( What problems they have 100% feedback so i can't see there valid point of having headaches ) .

Back
Top Bottom