Curse of the top prospect signature

baabaa5

Mad for Cards
Real Name
Philip
eBay User
baabaa5
As a bulldogs fan I have collected most of the signature cards select has released and nothing has frustrated me more than looking at my collection to have nearly all players leaving the club soon after:

Let's see:
Ben Harris - left to UK and then cowboys
Roy Assotasi - to the Bunnies
Willie Mason - roosters, cowboys and now Knights
Braith Anasta - roosters, tigers
Ben Roberts - Eels
Jonathon Wright - Sharks

The only exceptions I have are Jason Hetherington and at the moment Ben Barba .... Lets hope the later stays for life !

Anyone else have similar thoughts ...

And while I'm at it why do people find so much value in the league leaders black cards?

Also I sold my DCE signature card for around $350 and with the funds bought a sealed Ardmona Bulldogs set for $250 ... I know which one I value more :)

It would be pretty much the same for most clubs its just the nature of footy.

For the Dragons its been:

2000 Trent Barrett - Sharks
2002 Brent Kite - Manly
2003 Brett Firman - everywhere
2005 Corey Payne - Dogs
2007 Josh Morris - Dogs

Yes I know very unfortunate these days .. Just wish select could have released a one club signature series ... Example Hazem el Masri

2001 - Timana Tahu (left for many years then returned to a heroes welcome)
2002 - Clint Newton (left to Melbourne and dissed the club non-stop ever since, becoming probably the most hated Knight ever)
2003 - Anthony Quinn (left to Melbourne)
2004 - Adam Woolnough (left to Penrith and Melbourne)
2005 - Matt White (left to Gold Coast)
2006 - Milton Thaiday (retired in 2007)
2007 - Jarrod Mullen (STILL GOING STRONG!!!)
2009 - Akuila Uate (STILL GOING STRONG!!!)
2011 - Siotonga Likiliki (played two first grade games for Newcastle, never sighted again)
2012 - Ryan Stig (injured for all of 2012)

Pretty lame lot. We somehow missed out on Kurt Gidley, James McManus, Chris Houston, etc.

I think all TP's have been hit and miss for almost all clubs (maybe except the storm).

In 2000 they released signatures of current stars in the game. They should have continued to do that in some form. Lot of really good players missed out on signatures.

TP's are a bit hit and miss as all are early on in their careers. I was personally disappointed with Wright being the TP this year. I for sure thought it would be Sam Kasiano. I'm sure it's the same with other teams. I wonder who advises the manufacturers of potential candidates?

We have had a fairly decent run down at Brookie with some absolute gem TP's

2000- Steve Menzies (Club Legend, Club player for entire career and the name speaks for itself)
2001- Mark O'Meley (Played all of 2 seasons with the now defunct Northern Eagles and then onto Bulldogs, Roosters and now Hull)
2002- Jason King (Club Captain, great warhorse for many seasons and still playing)
2003- Chad Randall (4 seasons with a fair share of quality performances and then GONE to Harlequins/London Broncos)
2004- Anthony Watmough (Australia, NSW rep, top shelf player and still with the club)
2005-Sam Harris (3 seasons with us and then one with the Tigers and GONE)
2006- Travis Burns (Lasted just two seasons with us and then Cowboys and Panthers and then exile following high hit)
2007- Matt Ballin (Still going strong, particularly in the tackle count)
2009- Tony Williams (Left for Bulldogs in 2013 but still a solid performer for us)
2011- Kieran Foran (Kiwi International and absolute gun AND still with us)
2012- Jamie Buhrer (Prospect of the future for the club and again still with us)

TP's are a bit hit and miss as all are early on in their careers. I was personally disappointed with Wright being the TP this year. I for sure thought it would be Sam Kasiano. I'm sure it's the same with other teams. I wonder who advises the manufacturers of potential candidates?

The NRL have final say who goes into the TP list. I believe Select could indicate their preference but the NRL has the final say.

My mighty Broncos has heaps of signature rookies to leave the club!!!!.... K Hunt to AFL , Izzy to AFL , Tate to the Cows , Winterstein to the Cows , Beale to the Dragons , Eastwood to the Dogs , Seymour to ???? And the list goes on and on....

We have had a fairly decent run down at Brookie with some absolute gem TP's

2000- Steve Menzies (Club Legend, Club player for entire career and the name speaks for itself)
2001- Mark O'Meley (Played all of 2 seasons with the now defunct Northern Eagles and then onto Bulldogs, Roosters and now Hull)
2002- Jason King (Club Captain, great warhorse for many seasons and still playing)
2003- Chad Randall (4 seasons with a fair share of quality performances and then GONE to Harlequins/London Broncos)
2004- Anthony Watmough (Australia, NSW rep, top shelf player and still with the club)
2005-Sam Harris (3 seasons with us and then one with the Tigers and GONE)
2006- Travis Burns (Lasted just two seasons with us and then Cowboys and Panthers and then exile following high hit)
2007- Matt Ballin (Still going strong, particularly in the tackle count)
2009- Tony Williams (Left for Bulldogs in 2013 but still a solid performer for us)
2011- Kieran Foran (Kiwi International and absolute gun AND still with us)
2012- Jamie Buhrer (Prospect of the future for the club and again still with us)
Sam Harris player in the Super 12/14 from 2007 for a number of years and is now coach of the Warringah Rats in the Union

The NRL have final say who goes into the TP list. I believe Select could indicate their preference but the NRL has the final say.

I spoke to a licencing guy at the NRL about a year ago and he confirmed the same. He did also mention that they had a very good relationship with Select and to his knowledge they had never vetoed anything that Select wanted to do.

Perhaps sometimes it also comes down to cost and how much someone charges to sign.

At the end of the day its not a science and while there are some been some head scratchers over the years its always easier to sit here with hindsight.

This is the Raiders list.

01 Jamaal Lolesi (left for Dogs, Tigers)
02 Joel Monaghan (left for Roosters but came back)
03 Ryan O'Hara (left for Tigers)
04 Terry Campese (still here)
05 Michael Weyman (Dragons)
07 William Zillman (Gold Coast)
09 Josh Dugan (still here)
11 Daniel Vidot Dragons)
12 Sam Williams (Still here)

6/9 have ended up playing rep footy.

Souths

2002 Wade Mackinnon - to Para, NZ and Tigers
2003 Brett Kearney - Sharks and UK.
2004 nil
2005 Luke MacDougall - was a bit of a gun then nowhere.
2006 Yileen Gordon - made three grades in three weeks, only bloke to ever play RL in top flight with name beginning with 'Y', to Dogs, Penrith and park footy.
2007 David Fa'logo - bashed coach, went to UK, returns to Newcastle for 2013 aged 32.
2009 Eddy Pettybourne - wholehearted player, a few too many errors, went to Wests Tigers for the cash.
2011 Dylan Farrell - future player
2012 Nathan Peats - future player

Still my faves are :

Billy Slater 03, Cameron Smith 04, Ryan Hoffman 05, Greg Inglis 06, Folau 07 and Duffie and Widdop 11/12.

Oh and the Ben Creagh, Benji Marshall.

And to the bloke on here who sold me their Paul Gallen and Luke Lewis and decent prices. Total gems.

Tigers:
Terry Hill - Started at Wests and finished there (Pretty Much)
Joel Caine - Debuted St. George but played most of his Career at the Tiges and is still considered Furniture.
Luke O'Donnell - Satrted with us but moved onto the Cows
Linc Withers - Started with us but moved on to the Dragons / Raiders
Bryce Gibbs - Wests Junior who would still be with us if we didn't have Woods
Benji - Will probably be a one club player
Farah - As above
Tuiaki Would still be here if it weren't for the ankle injury that wound him up
Moltzen - He's still around..... Whether we like it or not.
Ayshford - Still Around
Heighington - Was with us longer than he should have been....
Woods - Bleeds Wests Tigers and will be our future Captain
-All in all we aint done too bad!!

I spoke to a licencing guy at the NRL about a year ago and he confirmed the same. He did also mention that they had a very good relationship with Select and to his knowledge they had never vetoed anything that Select wanted to do.

Perhaps sometimes it also comes down to cost and how much someone charges to sign.

At the end of the day its not a science and while there are some been some head scratchers over the years its always easier to sit here with hindsight.
Question. Did nominated players decide a fee that they would charge Select for their signature? How did this work? I would have thought any TP or FF nominee would have been ecstatic about the offer and the exposure. What player in their right mind would knock it back or out-price themselves, or even demand payment for that matter???

Back
Top Bottom