Cricket books

I’m three chapters into this one:

FA4F08A8-03CB-4F55-B904-67368A5FEB93.jpeg

It is - as expected - fantastic! Life as a youngster wasn’t easy for the laugh-a-minute man we know and love today as Bumble.

I also got “Start the Car”, his book from 2010. From the reviews, this one is more about the funny incidents and people he has experienced, as well as general opinions on cricket and other matters.

Ive just started reading one of Gideon Haigh's early book and it is brilliant so far. I loved this era of cricket and it is interesting to hear Gideon's take on the players,coaches and media personalities. I read his first cricket book the Border years during the holidays and if you can find it it is a great read.

Haigh-Gideon-One-Summer-Every-Summer.jpg

Ive just started reading one of Gideon Haigh's early book and it is brilliant so far. I loved this era of cricket and it is interesting to hear Gideon's take on the players,coaches and media personalities. I read his first cricket book the Border years during the holidays and if you can find it it is a great read.

Haigh-Gideon-One-Summer-Every-Summer.jpg
Great read so far. Surprisingly there are a few lines by Gideon which would cause controversy today using the word "chink" and describing a fielder as "spastic".

I am just re-reading Ashley Mallett’s fantastic biography of Doug Walters, “One of a Kind”. It is really entertaining, as is “Chappelli Speaks Out”, Ashley’s collaboration with Ian Chappell. I reckon you would love them Jason! :)

“500-1: The Miracle of Headingley ‘81” is also on the re-read list! It is co-authored by Rob Steen, of Cricinfo fame.

i felt Ponting's At the Close of Play was a better read than his 5 captain's diaries but incredibly dense. I was especially interested in reading his perspectives on the quarter-final loss to India at the 2011 CWC and him getting subsequently sacked from the ODI team during the 2012 Commonwealth Bank tri-series against India and Sri Lanka!

A452BC87-6E54-48AA-BCB0-7A03659D0F0D.jpeg

“Bill Lawry will always be one of the most iconic figures of Australian cricket. Whether you remember him best as the famously relentless batsman, stonewalling captain, or excitable, beloved commentator – Lawry has been at the heart of the game for almost sixty years.

Bill Lawry: Chasing a Century tells the story of his stellar cricketing career – from his youth in district cricket and his debut in the Australian team in 1961, a year in which he exceeded a staggering 2000 runs in his first tour of England; through the sixty-seven Australian Tests he played as opening batsman and his leadership in the captaincy of the Australian team; to his incontestable reign as one of the original voices of cricket.

Here, tales from colleagues, players, cricket writers and those who listened to his broadcasts every summer, bring Lawry’s career to life and remind us of the colossal contribution this left-handed legend has made to Australian cricket.”

This is out on 1st October and looks very similar in style to a book released about Richie Benaud after his passing.

I have just pre-ordered. Got ‘im, yes!! 😂

For nigh on 30 years I have had a book by Brian Crowley titled Cricket's Exiles (about South African cricket).

I only recently re-read it and it all made sense. As a kid (I was 9 in 1985), I had no idea who South Africa were on the cricketing stage (due to the ban). That era of cricket fascinates me, especially the Rebel tours and all that. It's like that period in Australia around 1985 including the Ashes is all but glossed over and forgotten.
There is some of this era covered in the great book ‘Golden Boy’ by Christian Ryan

"Crossing the Line" by Gideon Haigh - a brilliant expose on the sandpaper scandal, and a couple of >100 year old period books - How we Recovered the Ashes (1904) & Cricket across the Seas (1903), both by 'Plum' Warner as well as Time of the Tiger - the Bill O'Reilly Story - plenty of great reading to come

"Crossing the Line" by Gideon Haigh - a brilliant expose on the sandpaper scandal, and a couple of >100 year old period books - How we Recovered the Ashes (1904) & Cricket across the Seas (1903), both by 'Plum' Warner as well as Time of the Tiger - the Bill O'Reilly Story - plenty of great reading to come
I loved Crossing the Line

Back
Top Bottom