Cricket books

I just received Mark Nicholas' new book 'A Beautiful Game' for Christmas. He is one of my favourite commentators and writers, so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

I've just finished David Gower's autobiography, "An Endangered Species". It is excellent and rarely has the adage "never judge a book by its cover' been more appropriate about a cricketer. He is brutally honest about his shortcomings and professionalism as an England and First Class cricketer. It is really entertaining too, although I do share a similar sense of humour with him!

Just finished Brad Haddin's book. A very emotional book as it covers his daughters illness. The crickey parts are good though I wish he went further into his relationships with different players. I was a bit disappointed he glossed over the Clarke/Katich incident.

IMG_1123.JPG

I've just been browsing the upcoming releases, this will be great I reckon! Release date is 26th September.

The summary says: "Ian Chappell is regarded as one of the greatest ever captains of Australia. He epitomised the spirit of Australian cricket in the 1970s, and the team never lost a series on his watch. But little has been written about the final year of Chappell's playing career. In the 1974-75 season, after he handed the Australian captaincy to his brother Greg, Ian took on the task of skippering his native South Australia and trying to end their miserable run of finishing last for nine seasons in a row.

CHAPPELL'S LAST STAND is the first book to zoom in on that remarkable turnaround season, when Chappell captained like a cornered tiger and masterfully guided South Australia from bottom of the ladder to within reach of the Shield title. Repeatedly warned and fined, Chappell spent the season at war with administrators, even leading his team on strike. Never once did he take a backwards step.

Described in vivid detail by ABC journalist Michael Sexton, CHAPPELL'S LAST STAND illustrates the tenacity and pure cricketing genius of Ian Chappell, and also provides unique insight into the rivalries, talents and tensions of a pivotal time in Australian cricket that led to World Series Cricket."

Yes please!!

Looks like a top read
IMG_1123.JPG

I've just been browsing the upcoming releases, this will be great I reckon! Release date is 26th September.

The summary says: "Ian Chappell is regarded as one of the greatest ever captains of Australia. He epitomised the spirit of Australian cricket in the 1970s, and the team never lost a series on his watch. But little has been written about the final year of Chappell's playing career. In the 1974-75 season, after he handed the Australian captaincy to his brother Greg, Ian took on the task of skippering his native South Australia and trying to end their miserable run of finishing last for nine seasons in a row.

CHAPPELL'S LAST STAND is the first book to zoom in on that remarkable turnaround season, when Chappell captained like a cornered tiger and masterfully guided South Australia from bottom of the ladder to within reach of the Shield title. Repeatedly warned and fined, Chappell spent the season at war with administrators, even leading his team on strike. Never once did he take a backwards step.

Described in vivid detail by ABC journalist Michael Sexton, CHAPPELL'S LAST STAND illustrates the tenacity and pure cricketing genius of Ian Chappell, and also provides unique insight into the rivalries, talents and tensions of a pivotal time in Australian cricket that led to World Series Cricket."

Yes please!!

IMG_1496.JPG

This one is a new release, written by former WA all-rounder Ian "Sticks" Brayshaw (father of James).

IMG_1151.JPG

This one is out in November, written by Austin "Ocker" Robertson. He was heavily involved in the World Seres split, and tells a great story!!

IMG_1123.JPG

Yes please!!
Just bought this will give a review when I’m done

Just bought this will give a review when I’m done
Had a chance to read it yet mate? There were bits taken from Ashley Mallet’s authorised biography “Chappelli Speaks Out” that I was already familiar with, but I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Sexton’s book! What are your thoughts?

There are very few books that detail internal politics at domestic level, which is why the following book - “The War of the White Roses” by Stuart Rayner - is outstanding. I read it a few months ago and could easily pick it up again and start all over tomorrow....if I hadn’t started re-reading “The Cricket War” today :)

2A8E0B3B-4F4D-4896-B302-ED6EE7A65590.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a chance to read it yet mate? There were bits taken from Ashley Mallet’s authorised biography “Chappelli Speaks Out” that I was already familiar with, but I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Sexton’s book! What are your thoughts?

There are very few books that detail internal politics at domestic level, which is why the following book - “The War of the White Roses” by Stuart Rayner - is outstanding. I read it a few months ago and could easily pick it up again and start all over tomorrow....if I hadn’t started re-reading “The Cricket War” today :)

2A8E0B3B-4F4D-4896-B302-ED6EE7A65590.jpeg
Hey Matt I haven’t read the Ian Chappell book yet unfortunately. Just finished Touchstones by Steve Mascord and just started the new Bon Scott bio. It is the next on my hit list. I love reading about domestic cricket and the War of the Roses looks a beauty.

Just took delivery my copy of a limited release (29 only - one per Test ton) leather bound, gold embossed copy of "Smiles from the Don: Bradman - the Cartoon Biography." My copy is numbered 18/29 (with a matching numbered & personalised Bookmark), and is a wonderful read on an aspect of the great man never covered in this unique form before. The author has compiled a history of Bradman's career and life via superb cartoons and drawings published throughout his life, with great variety among the 60+ cartoons, that poignantly end with Arthur Mailey's fabulous sketch titled 'The End' - a batsman looking back at his stumps after being bowled.

Back
Top Bottom