Cricket books

Eels Guru

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jason
eBay User
horo09
What are some of the best cricket books you guys have read?
Golden Boy, whitewash to whitewash, Taylor and beyond and Border and Beyond are some of my favs.

I've loved both of Michael Clarke's Ashes captain's diaries. I found them really interesting, and at some points provided in depth and honest explanations about trivial things that the media exploited.

I've loved both of Michael Clarke's Ashes captain's diaries. I found them really interesting, and at some points provided in depth and honest explanations about trivial things that the media exploited.
You will love Whitewash to whitewash than. All of the behind the scene stories from 2005-2015

Best cricket book I've read since Golden boy
Agree completely mate.

I have just started "Sex, Drugs and Rebel Tours - The England Cricket Team in the 1980's" by David Tossell (he also wrote "Grovel", about the West Indies tour of England in 1976) and it is great!

My favourite ever cricket book is "Captains on a Seesaw" by Phil Tressider, about the 1968-69 West Indies tour of Australia. I'm not sure where you could get a copy now but if you can source one, it is excellent read.

More recent books that I recommend are:

Fierce Focus - Greg Chappell autobiography
The Captains - Malcolm Knox (history of Australia's Test captains)
Bradman's War - Malcolm Knox (story of the 1948 Invincibles tour)
The Rebel Tours: Cricket's Crisis of Conscience - Peter May
True Colours - Adam Gilchrist autobiography
Glorious Summers and Discontents - Michael Atherton (selection of his newspaper columns)

All of these are on kindle :)

I've loved reading Matt Priors Autobiography "the gloves are off," Michael Clarke's Captains Diary and Michael Hussey's Autobiography.

Agree completely mate.

I have just started "Sex, Drugs and Rebel Tours - The England Cricket Team in the 1980's" by David Tossell (he also wrote "Grovel", about the West Indies tour of England in 1976) and it is great!

My favourite ever cricket book is "Captains on a Seesaw" by Phil Tressider, about the 1968-69 West Indies tour of Australia. I'm not sure where you could get a copy now but if you can source one, it is excellent read.

Glorious Summers and Discontents - Michael Atherton (selection of his newspaper columns)

I will have to check a few of these out thanks. Whitewash to whitewash is a great read

Add Justin Langer book 'You Little Beauty' to your list!! Well worth a read. You might need to get insomnia to get thru all these!!

Agree completely mate.

Mate I have found most of these on ebay

Anything by the widely acknowledged best cricket writer in the world (currently); Gideon Haigh, is a great read - try the Warwick Armstrong bio "The Big Ship" he released a few years ago - a phenomenal research undertaking and a fantastic read on one of the true greats of the game, whose contribution to the first 5 - 0 'clean sweep' was enormous

Warne by Gideon Haigh is a great read
Clarrie Grimmett by Ashley mallet
Fleetwood smith by Greg Growden
Ed Cowans diary
Are all fantastic reads

Also if you can get a copy - Beyond a Boundary by C.L.R. James (written in 1963), which has often been cited as the best book on cricket ever produced... He was regarded as the Kipling of his day and this book was voted Best Cricket book of the 20th Century, albeit amongst a proliferation of "Best" polls when the 20th century ended! Even if its not the best cricket book of the 20th Century - it is still a great read...

Last edited:
Some great books are being released over the next few months! PS if you are wondering where I get my information from, cricket writer Ken Piesse has a great online store (recently remodelled) - www.cricketbooks.com.au Additionally, he is an avid Hawthorn supporter so it goes without saying that he is a great bloke!

Some of the titles are:

Richie Beanud - A Tribute
96e822c3-3ddb-467d-bf04-f742da42605f.jpg

Taking Strike - Colin McDonald - limited ed. of 100, signed by seven ex Test team mates *www.cricketbooks.com.au exclusive*
cc8be9ea-9955-4d25-8933-f676e0c9dfc5.jpg

Winning Edge - Mike Hussey
Chasing Shadows: Peter Roebuck's Story - by Tim Lane
The Establishment Boys - Barry Nicholls (about the players who didn't play World Series cricket)
The Official MCC Story of the Ashes -Bernard Whimpress
the-mcc-official-story-of-the-ashes.jpg

9781743790793-1.jpg

9781743790793-2.jpg

Just reading Bernard's blog, this book is different to his "Ashes Treasures" books in the past, in that instead of removable artifacts he has instead converted them onto the pages and created a bigger book. https://bern1509.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/the-official-mcc-ashes-treasures-2009-2010/

I have just picked up the first issue of a new cricket magazine called "Cricket Life" - it is an Australian publication and has (from what I quickly browsed in the newsagent) articles by Jason Krejza and David Gilbert, as well as a tribute to Richie Benaud.

Thanks Matty will have to check that website out. I have just started reading Curtley Ambrose's book. What was the Cricket Life magazine like? I will have to get it by subscription as it is not being stocked at my local newsagency. Peter Roebuck's book maybe interesting as well as the Establishment boys. I try to not buy new books as my book pile is already quite large but I think it may be growing again with some of those books.

A couple of Ken's recent releases feature images from cards, that I have sourced for him or that have come directly from my collection - reinforcing the view that some of the images on cards of the games greats remain among the few from their playing era that best represent them in all their glory, and in some cases are the only known individual images of them...

Thanks Matty will have to check that website out. I have just started reading Curtley Ambrose's book. What was the Cricket Life magazine like? I will have to get it by subscription as it is not being stocked at my local newsagency. Peter Roebuck's book maybe interesting as well as the Establishment boys. I try to not buy new books as my book pile is already quite large but I think it may be growing again with some of those books.
The magazine is excellent. It is edited by former Tasmanian wicket keeper Mark Atkinson and their are columns/articles from a lot of past and present players. eg Peter Nevill on being "next in line" for the wicket keeping job and Ryan Carters on his charity work in India.

The magazine is also available by digital subscription.

Back
Top Bottom