Crazy card stories that you got lucky or fluked a win.

Sebultura

All sport greats and goats
Real Name
sebastian
eBay User
Sebultura33
I will kick off with a simple one but amazing none the less.
2009/10 upperdeck basketball used to be a fav of mine. Hobby cases i think boasted 2-3 hotboxes which every pack had a jersey or auto instead of the i think 3 hits random per box. 24 pack but memory is shady.
Anyway a friend had been over for box breaking but left and i had one of these that i had paid $300 on ebay for maybe 2yrs ago now.
Knew it was a hotbox after 5 packs with a hit in each..
I literally got as usualy for a hotbox many junk jerseys and some ok autos to the very last pack....
Jordan bulls auto, sticker and diamond cut like common for it but well didnt i sploosh a bit 🤪

20201128_212921.jpg

Last edited:
Not me but a mate of mine back in 1997......... busted a box of Flair Showcase.

Pulled a Rodman Row 0 Legacy card #/150........ was happy with that, then the very next pack pulled a Jordan Legacy Row 0 #/150.

Those days they weren't anywhere near as expensive as today, but 2 great pulls back to back!

My best break was a box of Skybox - 96/97 which was given to me as a gift for helping someone out.

Bottom of the Box was a Ruby - Allen Iverson Rookie....... then about 10 packs in pulled the Garnett Black Autographics (the rarer version).

Fun times!

I wish I had your guys luck.

out of the 10’s of thousands I’ve spent on busting wax, my best hit was an AD rookie auto in prestige that then graded a 9.5. Sold it years ago too which I obv wish I didnt. Lol

I probably binned a bunch of greek freak rookies too back then:)

Another card I pulled that wasnt worth much at the time which I wish Id kept was a 12-13 Prizm gold /10 of Eric Gordon...

1993/94 Skybox Premium Basketball ...

Me and a mate both bought 2 packets at a newsagent, and took them outside to open them. We were stunned to see every single card in all 4 packets were either Draft Pick cards (odds 1:12 packs) or Shaq Talk cards (odds: 1:36 packs). We ran back inside and bought up as many packets from that box as we had the money to buy!! Sure enough, every packet from that box held true to those ratios!! The hottest of "hot boxes". I've never run across another box like that in any sport since.

Seeing these stories are in the general forum,this is my lucky pickup.I have told this story to a few members,but would like to update it.While looking around the markets i found a rugby league folder full of cards,i unzipped it,looked at the pages inside,then closed it and asked how much for it.The seller said 30.00.I gave him the money and went home.All the cards were common cards apart from this card.My favourite card of all time.
1606614488570560989096.jpg

Hmm, lucky or fluke pulls out of packs/boxes. Where do I start? Lol let's start early.
Back when the basketball market aas dying in 2000 I started to buy pokemon (I'm a collector, sue me). Didn't really get much "good" cards from the early sets, but things started to change with team rocket. Buying random packs, I pulled the dark raichu. Move on to gym leaders - pulled shining charizard. First legends set comes out and I pull the charizard holofoil parallel. Not just any charizard holofoil parallel, but the premium rate holofoil parallel. A few years later picked up a few packs of pokemon (can't remember the set but in the plasma series) and pull umbreon premium rate #h30/32. Oh, almost forgot, from gym leaders pulled double of Blaine's charizard premium rare.

Onto nfl. Ended up buying a box of 2007 sp authentic. Nothing to flashy besides Michael bush sort gold /25. Later bought about 3 boxes of 2006 flair showcase. Just pulled a Peyton manning autograph. Later again, bought multiple pack lots of 2012 bowman. Pulled two chromium helmet autos (no one spectacular), some Pittsburgh auto, and kinda beat the odds on the rookie sp variants - Ryan tannehill, Nick foles and case Keenan are the ones of note.

NBA luck. The 90s era was not a spectacular era of pulls for me. The new millennium, however....
2004-05 ultra hit the LeBron rainbow - base, gold and platinum. Also pulled a gold lucky 13 of some guy called iguodala and a bronze auto of someone called jr Smith.
2005-06 topps, complete set and a rookie photo shoot auto of Raymond Felton.
2006-07 hot prospects just a red hot base parallel of Kobe.
2007-08 sp rookie edition Kevin durant rc auto. The autos went down from there in the three box break.
2008-09, Nada.
2009-10 certified - Tyler hansbrough rpa gold, Jack sikma emerald.
2009-10 playoff contenders just Blake griffin rc auto - twice!
2009-10 panini season update patty mills rc auto and base rookie - both pc cards.
2009-10 prestige not much besides a bonus shots black auto of some dude named Stephen curry. It's number 257 by the way.
2010-11 rookies and stars.... just John wall rc.
2012-13 panini Anthony Davis gold knight
2012-13 contenders kawhi Leonard rc auto
2012-13 brilliance kyrie Irving brilliant beginnings auto
2012-13 prizm Jimmy buckets rc silver prizm
2012-13 elite klay Thompson auto
2013-14 panini Greek freak rc
2013-14 prestige giannis antetokounmpo prestigious rookies auto
2018-19 donruss Kevin durant significant signatures and shai gilgeous-alexander gold auto. Plus about 4 luka base rookies.
2019-20 mosaic Zion Williamson rc green, ja morant rc pink camo
2019-20 chronicles almost all the base rc's for Williamson and morant plus 2x Williamson flux and 2x morant hometown heroes.

So, the card gods have been kinda good to me.

Edit. Almost forgot the one that got away. 2009-10 upper deck greats of the game big men on campus autograph Michael jordan /10. I say the one that got away because upper deck "lost" my package yet claim they never received it. Go figure.

Last edited:
Not me but a mate of mine back in 1997......... busted a box of Flair Showcase.

Pulled a Rodman Row 0 Legacy card #/150........ was happy with that, then the very next pack pulled a Jordan Legacy Row 0 #/150.

Those days they weren't anywhere near as expensive as today, but 2 great pulls back to back!

My best break was a box of Skybox - 96/97 which was given to me as a gift for helping someone out.

Bottom of the Box was a Ruby - Allen Iverson Rookie....... then about 10 packs in pulled the Garnett Black Autographics (the rarer version).

Fun times!
Awesome box!

1993/94 Skybox Premium Basketball ...

Me and a mate both bought 2 packets at a newsagent, and took them outside to open them. We were stunned to see every single card in all 4 packets were either Draft Pick cards (odds 1:12 packs) or Shaq Talk cards (odds: 1:36 packs). We ran back inside and bought up as many packets from that box as we had the money to buy!! Sure enough, every packet from that box held true to those ratios!! The hottest of "hot boxes". I've never run across another box like that in any sport since.
Wow thats mental

Yep open to all stories any cards or collectables. Great to read the stories of all 🙂
I have also spent un countable amounts on busting boxes since 2008 area. Collected grant hill up until few years ago. All gone now though had over 2700 no dups

When i first moved into a home with pregnant missus bought my first ever exquisite. Hit a jordan auto /23

Was a huge fan of 13/14 certified busted a heap of boxes back in the day and again off an ebay seller picked up 2 boxes and hit the durant 1/2green auto. Eventually sold it when times were tough. 2years ago started buying a few again as they were cheap and well hit the lotto with a kobe anthology pack snagging a jersey oncard auto /24. Hadnt even seen a short print in those things..

Another great finish was when i bought another exquisite.. off a guy i trusted on facebook. Ment to only buy a 12/13 but he sent me a 13/14 by mistake. So he sent the other box. But when i had both in hand i couldnt let the other go so instead of sending it back i paid for it aswell.
Glad i did! Lebron/penny 1/1 dual auto and a jordan sig kicks /35 😲
3 from 3 with exquisite 🤣

Attachments

• 20201129_162053.jpg
    20201129_162053.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20201129_162027.jpg
    20201129_162027.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 103
I wish I had your guys luck.

out of the 10’s of thousands I’ve spent on busting wax, my best hit was an AD rookie auto in prestige that then graded a 9.5. Sold it years ago too which I obv wish I didnt. Lol

I probably binned a bunch of greek freak rookies too back then:)

Another card I pulled that wasnt worth much at the time which I wish Id kept was a 12-13 Prizm gold /10 of Eric Gordon...
Yeah hear you on the binning i rekon i binned at least 10 steph curry rcs coulda made a box value back there lol

Hmm, lucky or fluke pulls out of packs/boxes. Where do I start? Lol let's start early.
Back when the basketball market aas dying in 2000 I started to buy pokemon (I'm a collector, sue me). Didn't really get much "good" cards from the early sets, but things started to change with team rocket. Buying random packs, I pulled the dark raichu. Move on to gym leaders - pulled shining charizard. First legends set comes out and I pull the charizard holofoil parallel. Not just any charizard holofoil parallel, but the premium rate holofoil parallel. A few years later picked up a few packs of pokemon (can't remember the set but in the plasma series) and pull umbreon premium rate #h30/32. Oh, almost forgot, from gym leaders pulled double of Blaine's charizard premium rare.

Onto nfl. Ended up buying a box of 2007 sp authentic. Nothing to flashy besides Michael bush sort gold /25. Later bought about 3 boxes of 2006 flair showcase. Just pulled a Peyton manning autograph. Later again, bought multiple pack lots of 2012 bowman. Pulled two chromium helmet autos (no one spectacular), some Pittsburgh auto, and kinda beat the odds on the rookie sp variants - Ryan tannehill, Nick foles and case Keenan are the ones of note.

NBA luck. The 90s era was not a spectacular era of pulls for me. The new millennium, however....
2004-05 ultra hit the LeBron rainbow - base, gold and platinum. Also pulled a gold lucky 13 of some guy called iguodala and a bronze auto of someone called jr Smith.
2007-08 sp rookie edition Kevin durant rc auto. The autos went down from there in the three box break.
2008-09, Nada.
2009-10 panini season update patty mills rc auto and base rookie - both pc cards.
2009-10 prestige not much besides a bonus shots black auto of some dude named Stephen curry. It's number 257 by the way.
2018-19 donruss Kevin durant significant signatures and shai gilgeous-alexander gold auto. Plus about 4 luka base rookies.
2019-20 chronicles almost all the base rc's for Williamson and morant plus 2x Williamson flux and 2x morant hometown heroes.

Edit. Almost forgot the one that got away. 2009-10 upper deck greats of the game big men on campus autograph Michael jordan /10. I say the one that got away because upper deck "lost" my package yet claim they never received it. Go figure.
Wow on the jordan alone that sucks bigtime!
Some very nice hits along the way there. Durant rc auto. Hitting 2x griffins in 09/10 wouldve been a huge thing if busted at the time no doubt

My story isn’t as crazy as some of these hits but in about 2012 I brought a single pack off eBay of the 1994 AFL Select release. It was purely for a trip down memory lane. In that single pack I pulled the Gary Ablett legend card. Might not seem much but it’s just the pure fluke of it. I’ve hit nice cards in boxes but this was one pack, so stands out to me.

My story isn’t as crazy as some of these hits but in about 2012 I brought a single pack off eBay of the 1994 AFL Select release. It was purely for a trip down memory lane. In that single pack I pulled the Gary Ablett legend card. Might not seem much but it’s just the pure fluke of it. I’ve hit nice cards in boxes but this was one pack, so stands out to me.
Getting those real collector moments is what its all about. In 96 1 pack of stadium clubi hit a grant hill insert that was probably 1 in 12. Maybe a $1 card. Will never forget and it probably started my personal love for collecting

My greatest moment in collecting also involved a single pack - there’s also a bit of a backstory to it. I did post the bust on here at the time.

A little while before, maybe a year or so, I’d been at Al’s Card Store here in Perth to buy some mixed packs of old AFL series. While I was there deciding what to buy, a guy bought the top packet out of the 2006 Supreme box, opened it, and hit a Ben Cousins Brownlow Signature redemption. I was going to buy a few packs of that series, so as a huge Eagles supporter and collector, I was devastated that I’d come literally seconds away from hitting my first big Eagles card in a pack, and it was a massive one as well. I was also pretty young so I probably took it worse than I should have!

Anyway, fast forward around a year, back in Al’s to buy packs again. Picked out a few packs from various series, including one single pack from 2005 Dynasty (which was one of the more expensive series to buy loose packs of, hence only buying one). Got home, started opening, nothing too big, got to the Dynasty pack, ripped it open, and to my absolute amazement... a Chris Judd Brownlow Signature Redemption! A 1:2520 pack hit, one of the biggest and nicest Eagles cards there is. To hit that from one pack of the series as an Eagles collector is easily the best moment I’ve ever had, and I’m not sure what could beat it. Definitely holds a special place in my collection.

My greatest moment in collecting also involved a single pack - there’s also a bit of a backstory to it. I did post the bust on here at the time.

A little while before, maybe a year or so, I’d been at Al’s Card Store here in Perth to buy some mixed packs of old AFL series. While I was there deciding what to buy, a guy bought the top packet out of the 2006 Supreme box, opened it, and hit a Ben Cousins Brownlow Signature redemption. I was going to buy a few packs of that series, so as a huge Eagles supporter and collector, I was devastated that I’d come literally seconds away from hitting my first big Eagles card in a pack, and it was a massive one as well. I was also pretty young so I probably took it worse than I should have!

Anyway, fast forward around a year, back in Al’s to buy packs again. Picked out a few packs from various series, including one single pack from 2005 Dynasty (which was one of the more expensive series to buy loose packs of, hence only buying one). Got home, started opening, nothing too big, got to the Dynasty pack, ripped it open, and to my absolute amazement... a Chris Judd Brownlow Signature Redemption! A 1:2520 pack hit, one of the biggest and nicest Eagles cards there is. To hit that from one pack of the series as an Eagles collector is easily the best moment I’ve ever had, and I’m not sure what could beat it. Definitely holds a special place in my collection.
Such a good story man congrats what a hit! I know nothing of afl but can only guess the elation and rarity man so good

Such a good story man congrats what a hit! I know nothing of afl but can only guess the elation and rarity man so good
Thanks mate, yeah to hit such a rare card of the team that I actually collect, after the disappointment the year before was an awesome feeling.

2008-09, Nada.

i didn’t get past the 2nd sentence where you said Pokémon collector!
*GASP*

Back
Top Bottom