Cousins - What reali grinds my gears!!

adz2332

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Adam
Lol sorry about the family guy referance.....

Im sick to death of hearing about the come back of Ben Cousins... :mad:
The triumph of his return, how his over come adversity etc etc etc!
What a load of S**t!

Ramma coming back from cancer that’s a triumph, McCarthy coming back from the Bali bombing that’s a triumph.
Not coming back from a self inflicted drug addiction! Totally wasting a huge opportunity that people kill for. And embarrassing himself, his club, his family etc etc…

And now he gets a bloody come back card!

What sort of message does this send to people! If you’re a star and can kick a ball through some goals do what you want! Take drugs, disgrace yourself do what you want and people will still want you back with open arms.

Just think if he was an avg player… No one would care, he would have been delisted etc never to be heard from again…

I just think its wrong to celebrate the return of Cousins so highly….

end rant! :mad::mad:

The Karma in this story is that his Hamstring will go very early on ! thats my tip with the awaited comback....

I am not a fan of his but he has already been hung out to dry over all of this so you have to at least give him a fair go IMO

Oh i think kinda good luck to him now. but to portray him as a hero, over coming all odds etc is wrong

The AFL are just promoting the biggest available news story that they have..... that's the media for you.... they will over do the most horrible stories because so many people watch sad stories.... The mine disaster, the fires recently, 911 and the list goes on.... the happy news stories are contained in the last 30 seconds :( end of my rant lol

What a load of S**t!

Ramma coming back from cancer that’s a triumph, McCarthy coming back from the Bali bombing that’s a triumph.
Not coming back from a self inflicted drug addiction!

:D :worthy: :thumbsup:

So true mate!! i couldnt agree with you more! without crossing sports too much i felt the same about the Andrew Johns situation. Yes i will admit he was a decent player, but for the kids its not a good look
Brplat

your just having a sad cause port didnt get him. think about it, he was singled out by the afl and used as an example...imo the fact that they even get 3 strikes is a joke, you dont see me complaining that franklin is still playing because i along with everyone else likes to watch him play (yes i recognize this is for a different drugs policy)...cousins is one of the all time greats whether you like it or not, its just as big as when judd swapped clubs, and just as big as when carey swapped clubs.. i also think we are forgetting from cousins point of view that he isnt asking for any attention, and if you dont like hearing about it then why not just change the channel. sure this message is biased as im a richmond supporter, but if he was at your respective clubs you would want to hear about him all day...

do all you people think cousins is the only player to have ever used drugs? over 20 players have tested positive since the afl brought in illicit drug testing! what a short memory some people have, it wasn't that long ago the 2 hawthorn players were seeking help for their drug addictions at a private clinic, we just never heard who they were (cough...hodge and mcglynn...cough...cough). it is just the media circus that has created this situation. i agree that cuz's comeback is not on the same level as jason mccartney or adam ramanauskas, and although it was self-inflicted it is a triumph none the less. people complaining should focus their ire on the media and news outlets, not on ben cousins, he is just trying to get his career back on track like any of us in his position would.

Oh no i hear what your saying, im saying goodluck to Cousins. He cant help now what has been done. And he has been let back in by the AFL etc so as far as that goes hes doing the right thing etc.

And i dont blame Cousins for getting a comback card etc. I just hate the way the media etc are showing him as this big hero. Like we should go WOW what Cousins has done is incrediable etc

just my 2cents

i wanted to see ben comeback as me being a wce fan. but what they say in the news about other clubs and there players doesnt bother. i dont loose sleep over. dont really give a toss. But when the media make up BS about my West coast :(

I agree, but it's not Ben's fault so I have no issue with him. It's the media doing it all. Big frickin' whoop I have felt the whole time. So another star that was all set to become an absolute legend and hall of famer throws it all away. Why did we need to hear about it everyday in the news for 1.5 years? It's now nearly as relevant as perhaps the best Herald Sun front page in recent memory..."Corby family visit Shapelle in jail for her Birthday". No way? You mean that if you're in jail you still have a birthday???????????

batch and nyana - I agree with you guys and I have no problem with Cousins himself, but the media is making me sick with all this rubbish. The sooner Carlton and Richmond have played and the media stops hyping it up to ridiculous levels, the better.

Lol sorry about the family guy referance.....

What a load of S**t!

Not coming back from a self inflicted drug addiction! Totally wasting a huge opportunity that people kill for. And embarrassing himself, his club, his family etc etc…

And now he gets a bloody come back card!

What sort of message does this send to people! If you’re a star and can kick a ball through some goals do what you want! Take drugs, disgrace yourself do what you want and people will still want you back with open arms.

Just think if he was an avg player… No one would care, he would have been delisted etc never to be heard from again…

I just think its wrong to celebrate the return of Cousins so highly….

end rant! :mad::mad:

Agreed fully with that mate! Great point!

Only ONE club wanted him. That says it all really.

Get it over with and then just let the rest of us boo him as the season goes although we did that BEFORE he was on ice and betrayed his team and team mates. Now he is just a CLEAN cocky arrogant asshole..

fellas you know my stance on this issue and if only i had $1 for everytime i had of heard a rant like this, i would have been able to fly over to watch Cuz v Judd RD1!

As mentioned by a few this extra attention has not been asked of by him and he was not your average player during his day, he was a champion of the game .. just look at his individual and team awards and his work ethic. Which is why it would have been a waste for him never to play again.
He was never caught by the AFL for drug offences or given a strike whilst playing which does not make what he did all right, but there are many players in the AFL who have 1-2strikes which no one has even heard there names, yet they have turned up to training with substances in their system etc, but have never been thrown into the public washing machine and viewing glass like Cuz has!

If this was happing to another player and champ of our game such as the newly popular Buddy Franklin and he went through all what Cousins has/did, i know id like to see him back after this time off (not being a fan of the club etc), but more so for the game.

It is just a good story two ex west coast captains coming back together as oppostions for RD1, has drawn in a sold out crowd for thusday night and looks to be a blockbuster!

I reckon taking drugs whilst being an elite footballer is poor work ethic even with high muscle mass and cardio conditioning.

This media attention was always going to happen so why is anyone surprised?

You're all just jealous cause your teams didn't have the intestinal fortitude to select a player who will improve your club....he doesn't have to be a superstar (and is unlikely to be) but he may well be the best value final pick of any draft in history!!:p

Having said that I agrre that the media has a lot to answer for as far as the coverage goes.:mad:

And while we're on players getting second chances.....why didn't any team give Lawrence Angwin a second (or possibly third) chance??:rolleyes::blink::eek:

fellas you know my stance on this issue and if only i had $1 for everytime i had of heard a rant like this, i would have been able to fly over to watch Cuz v Judd RD1!

As mentioned by a few this extra attention has not been asked of by him and he was not your average player during his day, he was a champion of the game .. just look at his individual and team awards and his work ethic. Which is why it would have been a waste for him never to play again.
He was never caught by the AFL for drug offences or given a strike whilst playing which does not make what he did all right, but there are many players in the AFL who have 1-2strikes which no one has even heard there names, yet they have turned up to training with substances in their system etc, but have never been thrown into the public washing machine and viewing glass like Cuz has!

If this was happing to another player and champ of our game such as the newly popular Buddy Franklin and he went through all what Cousins has/did, i know id like to see him back after this time off (not being a fan of the club etc), but more so for the game.

It is just a good story two ex west coast captains coming back together as oppostions for RD1, has drawn in a sold out crowd for thusday night and looks to be a blockbuster!

But being a "champion" of the game, the extra attention is a given. See Wayne Carey for example lol If he was some average player, yes, the circus would've died down by now, but he isn't. He had the footballing world at his feet, and the attention of many youngsters who looked up to him. Being a captain/ex-captain of a football club, surely you would have to set an example to the rest of the club by the way you act, not just in how you train, arriving to games early etc, but also how you represent your club on and off the field.

I think that club culture has a lot to do with it also. West Coast isn't exactly the most "well behaived" AFL club. I agree with Chad, at some point the player has to use some level of common sense and think what these substances are doing to their bodies. They are elite athletes, surely they would want to be at their peak all the time, especially during the season.

Back
Top Bottom