Collecting for different reasons

govern8r

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Troy
Hey guys, I have been collecting for over 20 years and in that time I have acquired so very nice items for example, kobe bryant signed ball and jersey numbered to 24, two MJ graded rcs above 8.5, a ticket from Mjs last game psa graded 9, and much much more.

After Kobes passing and his items were going for record prices all my friends said sell..... I sid no I never bought to make money.

Now with The Last Dance and seeing MJ items sell for amazing prices such as ebay today selling SGC graded 8.5 rc sell for $9600, those same friends saying sell now and cash in, I am compelled not to.

When I started collecting I bought things for my kids and my own passion. I thought I would ask you guys who is with my thinking and who says cash in? I think I know the answer but thought I would ask.
D00B7123-A766-48DE-A485-6E952DB26A10.jpeg
AAA1E385-D951-40F2-AA8B-98FEDE100FDB.jpeg

E38C4A24-5E31-4632-8E69-B41173CC3338.jpeg

9FF124FA-8CAB-435B-92B2-E92ABA35262D.jpeg

I have sold many things over the years that I regret selling.

But there are 2 clear categories.

1. Cards I've sold that I wish I had back so I could sell them for more money.

2. Cards I've sold that I will never get back because they're too expensive now or too rare and they're not even seen anymore.

If you can be ok with letting them go and never seeing them again, go for it. If the money doesn't bother you, enjoy those treasures. :)

In hype times if I didn't need the money for something else I would never sell a DAMN thing!

In hype times, if I want something, I'll pay whatever I think is fair for something I want.

Paid over comps for this. Happy. Never going to sell probably. Love the PMG red and greens but will never get one. This is sick.

I'm not into mounted signed jerseys, not into ticket stubs, just the weird thing of cards.

20200503_204119.jpg

Last edited:
Since coming back to the hobby in 2010 I did my very first trade late last year, I have sat on 98% my cards for over 10 years I love them too much to just sell but only add to the collection. The other 2% of my cards although I love I traded to get better cards for my collection even though we will never keep our collection's forever and there will come a day that there will be a offer to hard to refuse I personally will try hold them as long as I can.

In hype times if I didn't need the money for something else I would never sell a DAMN thing!

In hype times, if I want something, I'll pay whatever I think is fair for something I want.

Paid over comps for this. Happy. Never going to sell probably. Love the PMG red and greens but will never get one. This is sick.

I'm not into mounted signed jerseys, not into ticket stubs, just the weird thing of cards.

20200503_204119.jpg

I may be in a minority here but I think this base card looks better than the PMG Green (or Red). Sure they are nice and limited but the different colours on the base card make it look unreal and I prefer it!

I may be in a minority here but I think this base card looks better than the PMG Green (or Red). Sure they are nice and limited but the different colours on the base card make it look unreal and I prefer it!

I'd have to check after I hold a PMG red from that year haha! I might end up agreeing with you! Card for the ages, can't believe it took me so long to get some, sometimes it takes a big reminder!

Challenging time to have the nerve to hold big ticket PC items thats for sure!
I think everyone is a bit different and there isn't a wrong or right way to manage your PC.

Ive come in and out of the hobby a few times, have PCd a few different players and moved on. Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin even Michael Kidd Gilchrist :lol:. Also done some set collecting and sold once Ive completed the set. The joy for me is picking a guy and enjoying watching his games knowing you have an investment in him. Rooting for him to grow and develop and having something on the line.

I think its easy to look back and regret selling early when you see the price increase or when that player becomes an All Star after you've sold, but the cards or pieces you can bring yourself to let go aren't the ones you hold dear to your heart.
Fortunately some of my most treasured PC cards I'll never sell are worth next to nothing so there will never be temptation. Most important card to me is this dual game used, which was the first 'hit' my brother and i pulled from a pack at the local news agency back in 2005. We were just getting into following the NBA at the time. We followed the NBA finals that year Miami made the Eastern Conf Finals and the Spurs won the title. We didn't have top loaders or sleeves but we had this on 'display' in our room propped up against a tissue box. My interest in cards took off from there.
IMG_1367.jpg

From then Ive kept one PC card from each stage in my player collecting, such as this MKG which wouldn't be worth the cardboard its printed on :lol:. But it reminds me of the time I spent thinking that player was 'my guy'.
IMG_1369.jpg

Ive had PC cards and big ticket memorabilia with values in the dollars to the thousands of dollars, but to me it is about the journey and the love of the hobby / sport.
My advice, if you can sleep at night knowing you may never have what you sell back, sell while it's hot. People are going bonkers and it could last a month, a year a decade who knows! But definitely don't sell if it means something to you in your collecting journey, those are the items you'll miss. Amazing collection mate!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have been collecting for over 20 years and in that time I have acquired so very nice items for example, kobe bryant signed ball and jersey numbered to 24, two MJ graded rcs above 8.5, a ticket from Mjs last game psa graded 9, and much much more.

After Kobes passing and his items were going for record prices all my friends said sell..... I sid no I never bought to make money.

Now with The Last Dance and seeing MJ items sell for amazing prices such as ebay today selling SGC graded 8.5 rc sell for $9600, those same friends saying sell now and cash in, I am compelled not to.

When I started collecting I bought things for my kids and my own passion. I thought I would ask you guys who is with my thinking and who says cash in? I think I know the answer but thought I would ask.
AAA1E385-D951-40F2-AA8B-98FEDE100FDB.jpeg

E38C4A24-5E31-4632-8E69-B41173CC3338.jpeg

9FF124FA-8CAB-435B-92B2-E92ABA35262D.jpeg

Great topic by the way mate it's bringing out a lot of great stories and a great way to relate to other collector's here in this awesome community we call OZCARDS 🙂

Challenging time to have the nerve to hold big ticket PC items thats for sure!
I think everyone is a bit different and there isn't a wrong or right way to manage your PC.

Ive come in and out of the hobby a few times, have PCd a few different players and moved on. Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin even Michael Kidd Gilchrist :lol:. Also done some set collecting and sold once Ive completed the set. The joy for me is picking a guy and enjoying watching his games knowing you have an investment in him. Rooting for him to grow and develop and having something on the line.

I think its easy to look back and regret selling early when you see the price increase or when that player becomes an All Star after you've sold, but the cards or pieces you can bring yourself to let go aren't the ones you hold dear to your heart.
Fortunately some of my most treasured PC cards I'll never sell are worth next to nothing so there will never be temptation. Most important card to me is this dual game used, which was the first 'hit' my brother and i pulled from a pack at the local news agency back in 2005. We were just getting into following the NBA at the time. We followed the NBA finals that year Miami made the Eastern Conf Finals and the Spurs won the title. We didn't have top loaders or sleeves but we had this on 'display' in our room propped up against a tissue box. My interest in cards took off from there.
IMG_1367.jpg

From then Ive kept one PC card from each stage in my player collecting, such as this MKG which wouldn't be worth the cardboard its printed on :lol:. But it reminds me of the time I spent thinking that player was 'my guy'.
IMG_1369.jpg

Ive had PC cards and big ticket memorabilia with values in the dollars to the thousands of dollars, but to me it is about the journey and the love of the hobby / sport.
My advice, if you can sleep at night knowing you may never have what you sell back, sell while it's hot. People are going bonkers and it could last a month, a year a decade who knows! But definitely don't sell if it means something to you in your collecting journey, those are the items you'll miss. Amazing collection mate!
Good advice mate, thanks

This is an easy decision and not a problem at all. Most people do not understand money and focus too much on it. Money is just a medium for exchange. Once you abstract it away all financial decisions become very clear and simple. Instead of focussing on the financial value of your PC items, think about the other half of the equation after the money has been spent. What do you end up with after all transactions are done, ie: what have you traded your item for? What is the opportunity cost? If your life is richer (and im not talking about money rich as we have abstracted it away) then making the trade or sale is a no brainer. And if your life is not any richer or a step closer to your ideal lifestyle then there is no reason to go with the trade.
Only you can make this decision as it is up to you in which direction you want your life to head.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom