Coach of the Year is..

Funkadelic

On Again, Off Again..
Real Name
Travis
eBay User
the_funkadelic
..*most probably* Sam Mitchell, edging out Sloan and Avery..

Raptors' Mitchell to be named NBA's Coach of the Year
Bruce Arthur, National Post
Published: Monday, April 23, 2007

TORONTO — It was a little more than a year ago that a Sports Illustrated poll of 248 NBA players named Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell the worst coach in the league. But Tuesday, National Basketball Association sources have confirmed Mitchell will be named the NBA's coach of the year.

The Post has learned that Mitchell has edged other strong contenders such as Utah's Jerry Sloan and Dallas's Avery Johnson for the league's top coaching honour.

The Raptors posted the biggest single-season improvement of any NBA team this season, going from 27 to 47 wins. Mitchell seamlessly blended nine new players, overcame numerous injuries, and steered the Raptors to the first Atlantic Division title in franchise history.

Mitchell came into this season with a 60-104 record over two campaigns and was seen to be in serious jeopardy when new general manager Bryan Colangelo took over. But Mitchell overcame a 2-8 start with his group of international players, rookies, and just one established star and tied Toronto's all-time record for victories in a season.

"We had a lot of [new] guys, we had a language barrier at the beginning of the year, we had so many obstacles that we had to overcome," Toronto's lone All-Star, Chris Bosh, said Monday before the results of the vote were revealed.

"We had to gel quickly as a team. And for Sam to put us in an environment where we could function, and create an offence where everybody can touch the ball and share the ball and get open shots, that was tough on his part."

Mitchell's three-year contract expires at the end of this season, and he will be a sought-after free agent in the coaching market. Both Charlotte, which employed Mitchell as an assistant before be was hired by Toronto in 2004, and Indiana have been mentioned as possible destinations should Mitchell decide to leave Toronto.

Colangelo, meanwhile, has indicated that he intends to try to sign Mitchell to a multi-year extension.

When contacted last night, Colangelo could not comment until the official announcement. "Like I've said, I hope he gets it, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't."

––
Read Bruce Arthur’s column on Sam Mitchell’s award-winning season, as well as his preview of Game 2 of the playoff series with the New Jersey Nets in Tuesday’s National Post.

I just got an email saying that he's won it.

Well deserved, the Raptors have made a huge turnaround this season.

Avery Johnson was 3rd. Still not bad at all!

yes. he's won it, that's official.. well done... and to make things better, they won against NJ Nets.... i suppose it was a good game too..

Back
Top Bottom