Cardboard Addicts

Great doco, overall I think positive for the hobby.

One thing I would have liked to have seen was CGA included in the grading of cards for Australian collectors. I have used PSA, BGS and CGA extensively, and CGA are doing a great job. I now only send my AFL and cricket cards to CGA.

I did like the comments from Bogut that there are a lot of older collectors in the hobby and that they are the ones spending the most money. Now if Select could realise this and release a product catered toward that part of the market that could be heavy in high end cards, like we see for Exquisite, Immaculate etc in the US, that would be awesome. For example, logoman patches, or patch sigs for retired legends like Ablett, Matthews etc

Also I think the stereotypic comment about the Aussie hobby not being interested in rookie cards is getting old, and it always comes from those that are team collectors, which is cool but doesn’t represent everyone in the hobby. There is plenty of interest and value in rookie cards for some of the AFL legends, e.g. Ablett Ardmona, or Coleman Vic nut supplies. I have personally sold a Leigh Matthews card graded 97 by CGA for more than 5 times what I paid for it after I had it graded.

Also I thinK the perceived value of 1963 Scanlens is a little over done, I am not seeing those cards getting those prices anymore, unless the condition is exceptionally good. There are a lot more rarer cards than those Scanlens. Perhaps if there was a part 2 for the doco then an interview with Damien Green for AFL could be included, and a good place to highlight how rare some of the other cards in the hobby are.

Just my thoughts, cheers all.

Decent doco

Definitely needed some better NRL imo, especially when select featured so heavily at the beginning. Even just a mention of the 2008 Centenary set and the immortals

If the show is classed as a success maybe a little series could be done showcasing some of the better collections of NBA, AFL & NRL as there would still be some massive ones out there

P.S i am a NRL collector so I appreciate im biased

I loved the show. Very well put together production. I did however, cringe, a the general personification of the ozzie collector

Last edited:
Decent doco

Definitely needed some better NRL imo, especially when select featured so heavily at the beginning. Even just a mention of the 2008 Centenary set and the immortals

If the show is classed as a success maybe a little series could be done showcasing some of the better collections of NBA, AFL & NRL as there would still be some massive ones out there

P.S i am a NRL collector so I appreciate im biased
I thought it made us collectors look like nerds or dorks that people make fun of.Anyone else get that feeling? Don’t think the guy’s that they interviewed did the best for the hobby or themselves except for that 1 guy who had the crazy Larry bird & Celtics collection, he spoke really well. Just my opinion.

s.
Your thoughts

I have just watched it for a third time. It's definitely growing on me. I loved it the 1 st time but I was truly shocked by the subjects who spoke on behalf of the hobby( except for Celtics collector). They are as unlike me in almost every way

This was a doco about how weird and wonderful Australians are.

The utterly shameless Stevic who plugged Select remorselessly but redeems himself with his wonderful, insanely huge hoard of cardboard. The Greek fella at the BBQ who implied violence for anyone who dared to suggest his hobby was stupid. And the mysterious, exclusive, Eureka FB page which had an air of a lonely hearts club where people could offload their day to day worries. The NRL chap who suggested he'd take the Ferrari in exchange for his card collection so he'd pull chicks....

I hope no girls ever see this doco or he will never get one.

And there's more...much more. This Doco is loaded. Andrew Bogut lends it some star power. (He also seemed the most sane).

I've gone from being embarrassed at my fellow Australians depicted in this documentary to being proud of our diversity and weirdness.

Take this to Hollywood.

I have just watched it for a third time. It's definitely growing on me. I loved it the 1 st time but I was truly shocked by the subjects who spoke on behalf of the hobby( except for Celtics collector). They are as unlike me in almost every way

This was a doco about how weird and wonderful Australians are.

The utterly shameless Stevic who plugged Select remorselessly but redeems himself with his wonderful, insanely huge hoard of cardboard. The Greek fella at the BBQ who implied violence for anyone who dared to suggest his hobby was stupid. And the mysterious, exclusive, Eureka FB page which had an air of a lonely hearts club where people could offload their day to day worries. The NRL chap who suggested he'd take the Ferrari in exchange for his card collection so he'd pull chicks....

I hope no girls ever see this doco or he will never get one.

And there's more...much more. This Doco is loaded. Andrew Bogut lends it some star power. (He also seemed the most sane).

I've gone from being embarrassed at my fellow Australians depicted in this documentary to being proud of our diversity and weirdness.

Take this to Hollywood.

Thanks mate. Thats what I was going for.

I wanted to show that there’s many more just like all of us, and that we shouldn’t be ashamed to tell people we collect cards. I know I always rethink right before I tell someone new because of the stigma.
Show that we know we’re a little strange for coveting pieces of cardboard, but we’re also in on the joke, and there’s nothing you can say to us that we haven’t heard before:)

Thanks mate. Thats what I was going for.

I wanted to show that there’s many more just like all of us, and that we shouldn’t be ashamed to tell people we collect cards. I know I always rethink right before I tell someone new because of the stigma.
Show that we know we’re a little strange for coveting pieces of cardboard, but we’re also in on the joke, and there’s nothing you can say to us that we haven’t heard before:)

Also, I'm no film critic, but the whole production seemed to flow very nicely. Didn't feel clunky at any stage. That was extremely well put together. Hopefully, you'd consider doing another one down the track.

I loved it, everything about the hobby was laid bare.
I reckon that those who are into card collecting should feel great about the exposure and the sheer magnitude of some of the collections. Those that think it's nerdish or a kid's thing, well they don't get it like we do, so who cares.
When I say to friends that I collect cards, they're a bit suss sometimes. Then if they sit down and start looking through all the folders from 20-30 years ago! They start to get it.
Again, loved every minute of it.

Has anyone here signed up to Kayo sports for the free trial and then canceled? Just don’t trust it as I reckon they will still take the $25 out.... as I’m wanting to watch this episode so bad.

Was also looking for it on Foxtel this episode according to their TV guide is being run on
Monday 6th May @ 4am and re-run at 12:30pm.

I don’t have a Tv at the moment to record it and it dose let you record on you laptop, hence my Kayo Question. Hope people can now watch this that didn’t get the chance :)

Has anyone here signed up to Kayo sports for the free trial and then canceled? Just don’t trust it as I reckon they will still take the $25 out.... as I’m wanting to watch this episode so bad.

Was also looking for it on Foxtel this episode according to their TV guide is being run on
Monday 6th May @ 4am and re-run at 12:30pm.

I don’t have a Tv at the moment to record it and it dose let you record on you laptop, hence my Kayo Question. Hope people can now watch this that didn’t get the chance :)
They don’t take $25 out

Fantastic production, well done to all involved.

Was bittersweet personally, as I was watching it in the midst of getting out of the hobby. Cards will always hold a special place in my heart though!

Well Done …. great doco
The mix between the codes was great , gives a good insight into how amazing some collections are and are displayed. jealous in a way.
Could only imagine some insane collections that are out there .
:thumbsup:

Caught another replay this morning

yep just watched it again, great little documentary and love being part of this wonderful community. Really helps in times like these to have such a fun past time.

Only issue now is I think I need a case to just to get me through lockdown. Wouldn’t mind busting some old AFL

🤔 17 certified or 07 supreme or 05 dynasty ???

Back
Top Bottom