Card Zone

Not sure. It might have been $270 :p

Even $170 for a box of cards is insane if you ask me.

Essentially, there is nothing on the shelves containing anything useful for less than $100!

In that case, please order me a box or two of the Exquisite box please.

Oh, please make sure it is also factory sealed. ;)

Thanks,

-henkita217-

Not sure. It might have been $270 :p

Even $170 for a box of cards is insane if you ask me.

Essentially, there is nothing on the shelves containing anything useful for less than $100!

:woot::woot: even $270 is cheap!

it should be around $700 for an 06-07 box...

i think perhaps what some in here are forgetting is that the guy has overheads. He doesnt run it from his home like some ebay sellers do so i think its a little unfair to compare the two.
And as for the bball cards, the market is miniscule here in melbourne, he is taking a risk even stocking them so i assume he factors that into his price as well.

(just putting on my flame suit) i agree, alot of his prices are way too much, but i applaud the guy for sticking his neck out and doing something he loves while maintaining a public face for the hobby. lets face it, card collecting is nothing like what it used to be in the days of "card crazy".

Are you sure the price is not for the empty box :p.They seem to sell for a premium on ebay:lol:.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are these guys kidding themselves??????

I went in there this morning to pick up a box of Ultar Pro sleeves. Whilst there I had a quick look at their stock. They wanted $170 for a box of Exquisite, $200 for a Topps box, $250 for SP, $330 for a baseball box and even $700 for a set of 35 AFL cards LOL!!!! Even the single autos are well over priced. Most AFL and cricket players you can pick up on eBay for a good $25 to $40 less than what they charge.

How the hell do they stay in business?

There were about 20 CASES of the latest cricket cards on the floor ready for unpacking. It must cost them a fortune and I don't know how they move the product at that price.

At that price, it's a wonder they've got any of those boxes left....

If in fact they are factory sealed boxes, then $170 for a box you would be CRAZY not to have already brought 5....

I've got a feeling it's meant to be $1700......

Ok, maybe I missed a zero ;)

The point of this thread has rapidly vanished.

I was just rattling off random box prices that I saw, so it might have been something else that was $170. Whatever price it was, everything else in there was way over what you could get it for elsewhere.

Ok, maybe I missed a zero ;)

The point of this thread has rapidly vanished.

I was just rattling off random box prices that I saw, so it might have been something else that was $170. Whatever price it was, everything else in there was way over what you could get it for elsewhere.

That's the thing you can't just "rattle" off a price of $170 for a box of Exquisite and expect people not to get excited!! It's a sure way to get people to read your post!!:lol:

Its true his prices are high, but ive been going there for 6 years now, to answer somebody elses thread he doesnt actually have any basketball cards on display. anywhere so you dont actually know what the inserts look like.
he splits boxes up to sell packs for people to buy.ie fleer SE, trilogy, bowman sterling if you cant afford to buy boxes.
and his stuff in unsearched, untouched and good ive bought packs and boxes there. pricey i know but ive had nothing but MOJO.
sometimes weather it a mind set or not, what you pay is what you get. :D

it really is quite a bit of a conundrum

we long for the days of yesteryear where the hobby was much more visible in the marketplace. where we could go to bust a pack or 2, and look at funky inserts we may not be able to afford, and browse through folders and count boxes for our favourite players and sets.
not to mention to meet others to trade with and talk with about the NBA and sport in general.

but now that we're spoilt with the global marketplace, and it's inherently lower prices & vastly superior range, we tend to view what few remaining retail merchants there are with disdain for their apparent excessive mark-ups.
it's much too easy to forget that they're not there purely to serve our interest in the hobby, not to mention our interest in acquiring significant bargains, as is often the case with the online collecting community.
these people have serious overheads to cover, and significant capital invested that they deserve to see a reasonable return on.

it's also easy to forget that such a small sector of society collects any type of collector cards at all, it's a very narrow market, made all the more marginal by those like ourselves who predominantly make our hobby purchases online now.
in fact if there's anyone in the retail hobby actually making a killing financially, i'd have to applaud them for finding a way in this day and age.

end rant

it really is quite a bit of a conundrum

we long for the days of yesteryear where the hobby was much more visible in the marketplace. where we could go to bust a pack or 2, and look at funky inserts we may not be able to afford, and browse through folders and count boxes for our favourite players and sets.
not to mention to meet others to trade with and talk with about the NBA and sport in general.

but now that we're spoilt with the global marketplace, and it's inherently lower prices & vastly superior range, we tend to view what few remaining retail merchants there are with disdain for their apparent excessive mark-ups.
it's much too easy to forget that they're not there purely to serve our interest in the hobby, not to mention our interest in acquiring significant bargains, as is often the case with the online collecting community.
these people have serious overheads to cover, and significant capital invested that they deserve to see a reasonable return on.

it's also easy to forget that such a small sector of society collects any type of collector cards at all, it's a very narrow market, made all the more marginal by those like ourselves who predominantly make our hobby purchases online now.
in fact if there's anyone in the retail hobby actually making a killing financially, i'd have to applaud them for finding a way in this day and age.

end rant

nice to see a sane person with some common sense here !!

Well, I went past Card Zone today, just couldn't resist checking if it was an Exquisite box for $170. The closest I saw was the 06-07 SPx box, for $170. He didn't have any Exquisites or even Ultimates. So it's definitely a false alarm. :D

Well, I went past Card Zone today, just couldn't resist checking if it was an Exquisite box for $170. The closest I saw was the 06-07 SPx box, for $170. He didn't have any Exquisites or even Ultimates. So it's definitely a false alarm. :D

Damn! Was all set to go down tommorrow!

While i agree with the points about card zone being a store that has overheads, rent to pay and so on i dont think these reflect the price of their stock or that its very smart way of running a business. (but that is just my opinion & most likely why i don't run a business) The way i look at it is if his prices were reasonable im sure allot more people would buy things from the store. There for if they are selling more stock to more customers at a lower price they would most likely come out making more money than they are at the moment. How many people here would actually buy packs and boxes from card zone if the prices were a bit better instead of refusing to buy anything other than desperately needed supply's & the odd pack
Anyways thats my thoughts on card zone

^^

Agreed.

I do not buy things because I "respect a guy for running his own store" or "want to support the little guy". I don't care if it's perceived as selfish or whatever, but I will buy everything at the lowest possible price. If it means importing, buying online, whatever... I don't see why I should pay inflated prices for the same thing.

^^

Agreed.

I do not buy things because I "respect a guy for running his own store" or "want to support the little guy". I don't care if it's perceived as selfish or whatever, but I will buy everything at the lowest possible price. If it means importing, buying online, whatever... I don't see why I should pay inflated prices for the same thing.

Yeh but some pple out there don't know about ebay and how affordable everything is for collectors on the bay. So they wouldn't mind openning there wallet to buy some expensive boxes and packs for convenience.

Back
Top Bottom