Real Name
Daniel
eBay User
idontuseebay
COMC User
Fleer57
Hey guys,

Bit out of left field...

This is more a question than anything. Is there a reason why UltraPro dominates the card accessories market? Do they have patents on every conceivable way of housing a card?

I seem to recall a few other brands in the 90s but they seem to have disappeared and i'm not sure why (quality?).

Reason I ask is that a friend of mine is a product designer, and it might be an interesting project to try and come up with a new range of accessories.

Let me know what bugs you the most about UltraPro accessories (top loaders, one touches, screwdowns, sleeves etc) and who knows, maybe one day there'll be some better options on the market :)

For example - the angle-cut easy grade card sleeves are just about the worst product i've ever used in my life. Cutting a corner off (but for some reason not right to the edge) makes it near impossible to get a card in without hacking it to bits - and then it looks terrible when it's finally in.

Feedback?

You know what people are interested in but are somewhat of a mystery on where to find? Sealable penny sleeves. They look like mini team bags and seal snug and tight around your card. I often get them when I buy singles from some of the Asian countries but have never managed to find a seller.

You know what people are interested in but are somewhat of a mystery on where to find? Sealable penny sleeves. They look like mini team bags and seal snug and tight around your card. I often get them when I buy singles from some of the Asian countries but have never managed to find a seller.

I was always curious about this, as Ive seen a few threads on here and other forums asking about these.

Ive always thought they were annoying since you risk damaging your card by accidently getting it stuck on the adhesive, and you risk bending it when you peel back the cover

I have in the past tried other products such as BCW and possibly some other brands too for stuff like 9-page sheets, but what I found is the quality was lacking. Don't get me wrong, it happens with Ultra Pro sheets too, but I noticed the other brands are far more likely for the rings in the binder to "break" (from turning the pages too much)... meaning the little plastic holes; so I'm guessing they don't use as good quality plastic.

As for other supplies, have some magnetic one-touches from Pro-Mold and they are just as good as the Ultra Pro ones IMO.

From what I have heard Ultra Pro also get involved in the hobby by showing up at card shows etc....... not sure if the others do though.

Team bags to fit the range of one-touches in snugly seems common sense to me - but I can't find any. Not really a challenge for a product designer though.

Back
Top Bottom