Carbon Tax, what does that mean for Card Collecting

AyiosYiorgos

Card Addict
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
st.george4life / TradingCardFactory
With this B/S tax that will come in, what does that mean for the card collector?
Diesel /petrol will rise meaning Australia Post will increase prices therefore will be an increase in postage rate, basically any business that requires transport will be hit with an increase, which will be passed on..
What do people think?

I doubt we will see much of a rise if any at all. Remeber all these cards are produced overseas. Only rise I can see is in, like has been said above, postage costs which would be minimal at best.

So the cards come in from OS, they get to the wharfs, transport company picks them up and takes them to CARDZONE (basing this on NRL/AFL), Cardzone distributes them to sellers via courier company/ Australia Post, sellers sell on eBay, send out via Australia Post/Couriers, so already there are 3 Transport Company's involved who will all increase prices, reason i bring this up on the way to work this morning a truck driver rang up the radio station and said there will be huge increase in petrol price for him and others which will be passed on to the consumer...

I doubt we will see much of a rise if any at all. Remeber all these cards are produced overseas. Only rise I can see is in, like has been said above, postage costs which would be minimal at best.

I think Panini boxes are going to skyrocket!

Because of the amount of S*** they are putting out, their emissions are huge and will be taxed accordingly.

Hang on.... I the tax on methane?

Since this thread is still alive I'll give my 2 cents worth.

A tax will always lead to an increase in the cost of living.

It doesn't matter if it's Australia Post or the ATO or the tax agent but everyone pays directly and/or indirectly for any tax the government introduces and this carbon tax is no different.

man we are really stuck for thread conversations if we are going down this track, what is this the 7:30 report??

How is a topic like this any different to office water cooler conversation?

This site isn't just about sports and card collecting which is why admin created a General Discussion part of the forum and it's the one of the great things about this site. This site brings together people from across the globe who share the common passion for card collecting and it's only natural that our conversations diverge into non-card and sports related topics. Some people just like to have educated discussions about things which are going in society which affect one another, this is no different. Personally I think we need more topics like this.

There are some places we shouldn't go into like racism, religion, sexuality and disability but politics affects us all so in my opinion it belongs here.

If you think this doesn't belong here then admin better chop the Music, Gaming & Entertainment section of the forum too.

And how is this not important? It affects the cost of our hobby, we all pay postage in this hobby and the reality is it will get more expensive after this.

If you don't like this stuff ignore it and read another thread, it's a free world.

So the cards come in from OS, they get to the wharfs, transport company picks them up and takes them to CARDZONE (basing this on NRL/AFL), Cardzone distributes them to sellers via courier company/ Australia Post, sellers sell on eBay, send out via Australia Post/Couriers, so already there are 3 Transport Company's involved who will all increase prices, reason i bring this up on the way to work this morning a truck driver rang up the radio station and said there will be huge increase in petrol price for him and others which will be passed on to the consumer...

In the whole scheme of things, it wont make much of a difference to card prices because they are shipped in bulk so the cost is spread across multiple items.

Give you 3 quick examples, figure just made up to not exact...
Petrol company's purchase the barrels of petrol at $80 sell petrol at $1.20, Barrels go up to $90, petrol company's jack price up the next day to $1.30 even though they have brought in that petrol for $80...
Banks will increase mortgage rates even when Reserve Bank leaves them alone, and my favourite of all is, the Government introduced a GST which was going to get rid of all these other tax's, yet we still get slugged an extra 10% on item's that already have a tax on them...
If you think a business will not increase prices and then blame it on the carbon tax your mistaken, lets see next year july 1st 2012 if postage rates go up or have gone up....

In the whole scheme of things, it wont make much of a difference to card prices because they are shipped in bulk so the cost is spread across multiple items.

petrol is not included in the carbon tax.
oil refineries are not affected.
there are 1000 major carbon producers here and only 500 will be hit, like steel, energy and stuff like that.
but they won't have to pay anything if they reduce their carbon output.
if they then choose to cop the tax and pass it on to consumers, it opens the door for competitors to come through
with low carbon systems and undercut the polluters or force them to change

wheeldude, I assumed you were like 15 or something, your syntax of words suggest late 20's to 30's?

Diesel is, i didn't go into the exact figures or wording as this is not the forum for it, and used examples to show how business and government will take an advantage to increase prices and blame someone else..... Im happy to be proven wrong, but there will be increase....

there are 1000 major carbon producers here and only 500 will be hit, like steel, energy and stuff like that.
if they then choose to cop the tax and pass it on to consumers, it opens the door for competitors to come through

wheeldude, I assumed you were like 15 or something, your syntax of words suggest late 20's to 30's?

The thing about petrol not being taxed is that while Petrol itself isnt being taxed, the cost to get it to the service station, the cost of electricity paid for by the service station will mean rises in costs to the owner of the service station. The service station owners are only making small profits as it is (not the profits the oil companies make) so they will have to pass the costs on to the people buying the petrol.

Hence Petrol will be indirectly taxed.

Cheers
Matt

Diesel is, i didn't go into the exact figures or wording as this is not the forum for it, and used examples to show how business and government will take an advantage to increase prices and blame someone else..... Im happy to be proven wrong, but there will be increase....

Mate I didn't say they wont go up I'm just saying what it means for cards and box prices will be very little. Stuff like your household electricity and gas will be the worst affected. I am totally against this Carbon Tax and everything it stands for, but its coming so you just have to deal with it.

PS When the GST was brought in the federal government did abolish a lot of their other taxes, its the state governments that charge you taxes like stamp duty etc hence the federal government has no say in those types of taxes.

---------- Post added 14-07-2011 at 08:14 AM ----------

The thing about petrol not being taxed is that while Petrol itself isnt being taxed, the cost to get it to the service station, the cost of electricity paid for by the service station will mean rises in costs to the owner of the service station. The service station owners are only making small profits as it is (not the profits the oil companies make) so they will have to pass the costs on to the people buying the petrol.

Hence Petrol will be indirectly taxed.

Cheers
Matt

But who owns 90% of those petrol stations........... BP, Shell, Mobile etc the guys who ultimately refine and get the stuff out of the ground so its only the independants who will really suffer, of which there aren't many left regardless so its almost null n void.

And great fodder for the comedians, cartoonists etc.

Scan1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom