CAR CARDS- WHAT ARE THESE??

Jay Dee

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jack
eBay User
ja1942
Scan below shows two car cards with a footy card for size reference. They come in orange, green, blue and yellow. There is no writing and the backs are blank. I've seen roughly 30 different with Holden, Ford, VW, etc. Any idea (1) who made them (2) when, and (3) how rare are they? I've seen a lot of cards, but nothing like these. Any help appreciated.

img696.jpg

Hi Steve-

I have no idea what they area or what they're worth. Suggestions range from a game of some sort, to pop-out tokens. The small size, very thick stock, rounded edges and lack of advertising have led to such suggestions. Very interesting in any case!

Hi Jack-
As an enthusiast of automobiles and collecting I find this very interesting. Small size, thick stock, round edges, lack of branding/advertising.. hmm I can understand why people would think these are tokens.. But for what?! I just can't see it.

I assume you don't know how old they are either? Have you ever seen any others like these and how many have you got? I dare say you are lucky to have these in your collection and may be the only ones in existence.

The best guess here judging from the Holden models is late 1960's. There are 32 different (American, European, American) cars. I've never seen anything else like these, but I'm sure somewhat out there has. If they're from a game or tokens for something we probably need input from other fields of collecting.

Back
Top Bottom