Buying now or later?

Warriordazza

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Daz
Hello all,

I was wondering what people thought of the question for a new person coming back to buy boxes now or later?
My two goals for basketball cards are to get some cool ones for my PC as well as make some money to make sure it doesn't cost too much.
I see some of the boxes are really high up in price and I have heard that they didn't start that way when they were released.
Therefore do you think it's better for me to wait to next season (if there is one) and get those optics for what I assume is much cheaper?
Or do you all expect prices to stay inflated for the next season of cards?

I guess theres also the element of who I want to collect, but as I am getting back into it all Im happy to get some of the newer guys and then when I look to buy I'll buy some of the favs I grew up with like Paul Pierce, Manu, KG, Kobe, ETC....

(Ie I assume that some of the $300+ boxes used to retail much cheaper based on what I have heard).

Hello all,

I was wondering what people thought of the question for a new person coming back to buy boxes now or later?
My two goals for basketball cards are to get some cool ones for my PC as well as make some money to make sure it doesn't cost too much.
I see some of the boxes are really high up in price and I have heard that they didn't start that way when they were released.
Therefore do you think it's better for me to wait to next season (if there is one) and get those optics for what I assume is much cheaper?
Or do you all expect prices to stay inflated for the next season of cards?

I guess theres also the element of who I want to collect, but as I am getting back into it all Im happy to get some of the newer guys and then when I look to buy I'll buy some of the favs I grew up with like Paul Pierce, Manu, KG, Kobe, ETC....

(Ie I assume that some of the $300+ boxes used to retail much cheaper based on what I have heard).
only some boxes start to sell for alot more than original RRP. most stay around the same. $300 boxes are released every year and isnt all that expensive (relatively). they would probably fall into the 'mid-end' product range. i cant think of a low end product ($70-$150) that ever reached $300 after release. the boxes that tend to go up in price are the high-end stuff.
and if you want to make a little extra to support your hobby, you should buy individual cards when theyre cheap and flip them. because buying boxes is NOT a good way to profit. the chances of you just breaking even on a box are astronomical. you have to hit a big star auto to even think about getting your money back. chances are you wont come close to making even half on what you paid.

Last edited:
I guess that is true. I'll go with one example for now. The 2019-20 Panini Donruss Optic Basketball Retail Box

Currently I see it for both $320 - $470 across different sellers. And from what I can find online and what I've read on my limited time this box would have come out cheaper than this. Is this right or have I read/heard wrong?

Also if that is the case as only X amount are made, the longer I wait will the prices grow towards that higher $470 range or even higher?

I think maybe I should wait till next year, and in the mean time buy some singles? or maybe like a cheap nba hoops?

I guess that is true. I'll go with one example for now. The 2019-20 Panini Donruss Optic Basketball Retail Box

Currently I see it for both $320 - $470 across different sellers. And from what I can find online and what I've read on my limited time this box would have come out cheaper than this. Is this right or have I read/heard wrong?

Also if that is the case as only X amount are made, the longer I wait will the prices grow towards that higher $470 range or even higher?

I think maybe I should wait till next year, and in the mean time buy some singles? or maybe like a cheap nba hoops?
it all depends on the popularity of the release and the draft class of that year. very hard to predict which boxes will gain value before theyre released tho but how many boxes are released doesnt really come into it, since its very hard to find out exactly how much they produce in the first place.
cheap-mid end packs might be a better idea if youre just looking to flip for profit. the hoops you mentioned could work. ive hit two neon green ja morants from the gravity feed packs and sold them for $50 each...but again, if you dont hit anything popular, its basically money down the drain.
also be wary of which type of box you buy. hobby boxes are usually much better than retail but also more expensive.

Legend thanks for this advice/knowledge its so helpful.

As i mentioned in my intro post one of the ways i heard from somewhere is to byy a few boxes and try flip a few and with that profit you get to open it for free. KG wrote for that you have to take into account eBay and paypal fees.

Not sure if you know is flipping boxes a usual thing? If so any things I should watch out for?

Legend thanks for this advice/knowledge its so helpful.

As i mentioned in my intro post one of the ways i heard from somewhere is to byy a few boxes and try flip a few and with that profit you get to open it for free. KG wrote for that you have to take into account eBay and paypal fees.

Not sure if you know is flipping boxes a usual thing? If so any things I should watch out for?
people do flip boxes, but again, its hard to pick which ones will end up giving you good profit. your prediction has to be right and more importantly, your timing has to be on point because thay can also come back down again. and if you choose wrong, youre stuck with a bunch of boxes you never really wanted.
the margins have always been tight for people who sell boxes on a mid-large scale. but maybe ask some of the people on here who have online shops and see how well they do...could be more promising than i think.

I've got a friend that flips boxes but also collects.. what ends up happening is you open a few thinking I'll sell the rest but then you go hitless and think the rest of the box has the hits so you open the lot :lol: So yeah I guess make sure you are patient, sell the boxes first to make the money and then bust the leftover "free" boxes.

Boxes are always (from what I've seen) cheaper to pre order.

I bought 2 x boxes Optic @ $169 each pre order - 2 weeks later you couldn't find one for under $300. As Lulu said I was tempted to open one and sell one - I'd be basically opening a box for free - but I couldn't help my self and glad I did. One was an absolute bust. The other had 2 x Zion, Ja and 3 x Lebron's and a Irving /88

The Optic blasters were $50 on Cherry - they are now $149!!

Pre order where you can if you want that product - I doubt any will go down at time of release.

Back
Top Bottom