Box Recommendations

although sometimes you beat the odds and sometimes you get a dud, generally, you get what you pay for in boxes. you could buy a case of collectors choice or hoops and still pull crap, cos theyre crappy, cheap cards.

Generally i think steer clear of most cheap boxes, UD especially have put out some garbage boxes in the last 2 years: rookie debut, slam, all star lineup, pro sigs, R class, espn etc. you will most probably get jagged on these boxes. similarly, expensive high end releases ($100US+) usually screw you as well. ideal boxes are in the $30-100US range.

heres some links to the 3 major online box sellers. check out the descriptions for each box and make your decision that way:

www.sccentral.com
www.dacardworld.com
www.ocsportscards.com

or theres always ebay. ive found bargains on boxes from ebay, as opposed to single cards, are few and far between though.

hope that helps you a bit! :D

I hear ya wolvesjr. I kind of bought a box of them and it wasn't much fun. Would hate to see you do the same.

You don't have to go for SP products to find value. Rookie Debut is an example of a value product where you can get a fair amount of packs and bank on finding some nice cards including an auto. I have boxes available :)

And this is what confuses me LOL

JZA says Rookie Debut is pretty much crap....

and then Just, you tell me they ain't too bad... LOL

Got some further information on the odds for rookie debut??

See what others have to say... JZA likes paying for what he feels is quality. A combination of quality and value might be the choice for others. If you are one of these, Rookie Debut is excellent value IMO and out of this year's releases is hard2beat dollar for dollar.

2005-06 UD Rookie Debut Sealed Box - 28 packs - 6 cards
An average of one Rookie Hot Pack per box.
An average of two signature cards per box.
An average of one memorabilia card per box.
An average of one Hobby Only parallel numbered to 100 or less per box.

justdabestcards said:
See what others have to say... JZA likes paying for what he feels is quality. A combination of quality and value might be the choice for others. If you are one of these, Rookie Debut is excellent value IMO and out of this year's releases is hard2beat dollar for dollar.

I actually like the sound of that... now the quesiton I dread... How much you selling them for?? And would you do a discount if I wanted two boxes?? LOL

Im with JZA on this one...I agree that there have been some total shit boxes released lately and from what ive seen the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY WOULD HAVE TO BE SKYBOX LE AND FLEER THROWBACKS(pitty about the redemptions though#-o )

i would stay around the $60-$120 Australian mark until you find something you really like the look of...sometimes you will like the design of a cheaper box rarther than going for the big money card pull.
I havent seen many skybox LE boxes busted that havent had a patch card in it!!:D

on the other hand if you have big bucks for exquisite etc..you know you will pull good priced cards purely because the product itself is so dear............ok i will shut up now:p

cant really suggest anything other than Sp game used and Reflections..sp game used are a bit dearer but one memorabilia card in eack pack..was happy with what i pulled...seen some really nice cards come from those two boxes.I also like 06 sweet shot but havent busted one.

justdabestcards said:

We will see what they hold in the next couple of days Justin!!!:D

Hopefully i get the Rookie hot pack and the 2 autos;) ...yeah i wish:roll:

forcefedcc said:
cant really suggest anything other than Sp game used and Reflections..sp game used are a bit dearer but one memorabilia card in eack pack..was happy with what i pulled...seen some really nice cards come from those two boxes.I also like 06 sweet shot but havent busted one.

SP Game Used 6 Packs(3 cards per pack) - $180-$200 per box - one auto - no value
Reflections 12 Packs - $120-$150 per box - if you can afford it - quality and value ;)
06 sweet shot 12 packs $110-$150 - Nice but relections is better imo.

DVS said:
We will see what they hold in the next couple of days Justin!!!:D

Hopefully i get the Rookie hot pack and the 2 autos;) ...yeah i wish:roll:

You guys got a complete row each!
GOODLUCK TO ALL!
:D

justdabestcards said:
$95ea or two for $180... If you're nice, I could do one for $90 ;)

And how nice do I gotta be?? LOL

Let me put it this way the nicer you are to me, the more business I'll do through you LOL

Just kidding...

What sort of postage am I looking at to Tassie? (Think I oughtta just start with one probably as early as a fortnight from Monday)

im waiting on i cant remember which it is either a new version of greats of the game or legends one of em reflections dont seem to bad i like throwbacks to but everything can be hit or miss really

it sounds like AJ has made her mind up already, but heres my opinion on this seasons boxes.

Reflections are the pick of the 05/06 boxes so far for me, broke 5 boxes and always been very happy or at least satisfied with each. SPGU are not worth the price, too hit or shit for my liking. Hardcourt are attrocious, havent seen a mojo break yet. SPx are good for rookie autos, but other than that very hit or shit. sweet shot are pretty good, but for the same price you can get reflections, which are a lot better IMO. Topps are always cheap i guess, but i wouldnt touch em. normal upper deck are decent, and you can get em for under $40 now so its kinda tempting.

good luck with whatever you choose anyway!

JZA said:
it sounds like AJ has made her mind up already, but heres my opinion on this seasons boxes.

Reflections are the pick of the 05/06 boxes so far for me, broke 5 boxes and always been very happy or at least satisfied with each. SPGU are not worth the price, too hit or shit for my liking. Hardcourt are attrocious, havent seen a mojo break yet. SPx are good for rookie autos, but other than that very hit or shit. sweet shot are pretty good, but for the same price you can get reflections, which are a lot better IMO. Topps are always cheap i guess, but i wouldnt touch em. normal upper deck are decent, and you can get em for under $40 now so its kinda tempting.

good luck with whatever you choose anyway!

Haha yeah I have made up my mind on my first box or so... but when I get the chance I will look at a higher end box. And knowing me... opening a new box will only make me wanna open more...

Last year I cracked a total of 9 boxes though they were older boxes basketball wise...

3 x 94/95 Collectors Choice Series 2
1 X 94/95 NBA Hoops Series 1
2 X early 90s NFL
2 X AFL Tradition 2005
1 X AFL teamcoach 2005

Spent $440 on em. So I imagine I will be going for another box or two this year...

Back
Top Bottom