Best Place to Buy older Non Sport Cards

Ozsportsfan

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
hopefully I have not just created a thread that already exists (or multiple threads lol). Am curious where the best place to buy 90s non sport boxes would be (or if there was a place in Australia where I can jag good prices). Am feeling nostalgic and thinking of finding a box of cards when I grew up lol.

Any help is much appreciated.

It depends on your definition of good prices. At some collectibles fairs you can jag the occasional deal, but rarely so now. There are some places to get them on line but mostly in the US (New Kelly, Tommunique, Top Shelf). Postage and the current exchange rate are the real killers here, unless you are in the US where you can often get 90's boxes for USD10 or less. There used to be cheap boxes in OZ- I still have a box of 1996 Marvel Masterpieces I bought for $30 from a comic shop in Perth (going rate 300USD+) and several boxes of '95 X-Men chrome dumped for $15 at a swap meet in Perth. Those were the days. I digress. If you find some cheapies (in the US), see if the seller will pack them in a large USPS flat rate box. Check the rate on line, but postage for the last I got was USD90 and you can squeeze a number of boxes in to spread the postage.

Good luck Michael and if you get some have fun!

Wow, you did well off the 1996 Marvel Masterpieces box for $30 AUD!

You will find that that particular box will go for around $1000 or so USD now.

Pretty good return :)

If you were thinking of selling it, probably get more flogging it as an unopened box.

If you opened it and made a complete base set - $500 USD, Gold Gallery set - possibly $100, Double Impact set $500+ but may struggle to make Double Impact set from one box as I understand Silver Surfer/Captain America is the rarest of the Double Impacts and the odds were around 1:12 boxes.

Ebay is where I go. Can get lucky but depends what you are looking for. If it is 1996/1995 MM, most likely won't be cheap.

That was some time ago and I certainly got more than one box. Several complete sets (with all or some inserts) were sold on US eBay for $800+. You are entirely correct about the Double Impacts- never a complete set in a box, and yes, the CA/Surfer DI is way harder to get than the rest. In fact there are three rather easy to get and three harder. Also in half the boxes there wasn't a complete set of commons- 2-5 missing. I would never open the last box, but will sell it sometime. Needles to say I have my own set. Also have a box of the '95MM which is worth around $300US. Am tempted to open that one as (with doubles) you can usually get two sets. If you ever try & put a set (of either '95 or '96MM together, I have plenty of doubles (for trading only). Thanks for your interest- J

Back
Top Bottom