Best NSW CRICKETERS 1987-2017

Eels Guru

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Jason
eBay User
horo09
Hi guys,
Just after a bit of help I am after peoples best NSW cricketers of the last 30 years from 1987-2017. I am looking at possibly making a set for myself and would like some peoples input if they want to help. Here are some candidates. Feel free to comment. Especially if I have missed anyone. I have put in a few cult names for fun.
Openers:
TAYLOR, SLATER, WARNER, JACQUES, HUGHES, SMALL
BATSMEN:
S.WAUGH,M.WAUGH,CLARKE, BEVAN,KATICH, BAYLISS, CHEEQUEE,O'NEILL, SMITH, HENRIQUES
KEEPERS:
DYER, EMERY, HADDIN, NEVILL
SPINNERS:
MATHEWS, TAYLOR, MACGILL, LYON, FREEMAN, ROBERTSON, O'KEEFE
QUICKS:
LAWSON, WHITNEY, HOLDSWORTH, STARC, HAZELWOOD, CUMMINS, MCGRATH, BOLLINGER,LEE, BRACKEN
COACHES:
RIXON, BAYLISS, MOTT, LAWSON

Taylor
Slater
Clarke
M Waugh
s Waugh
Smith
Haddin
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
McGrath
12th Man - Lee

Coach - Trevor Bayliss

Could also do a 90's side v 10's side

90's
Slater
Taylor
M Waugh
S Waugh
S Lee
Bevan
Emery
B Lee
G Matthews
W Holdsworth
G Mc Grath

10's
Warner
Hughes
Watson
Smith
Clarke
Henriques
Haddin
Starc
Lyon
Cummins
Hazelwood
12th Bollinger

I couldn't leave Bevan out, a better 1st class average with the bat than anyone in your team and at one stage was regarded as the number 2 spinner in the country behind Warne.
With the two Waughs and Bevan in the team I would be tempted to only go three bowlers but who do you leave out.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I didn't include Gilly as majority of his time was with WA.
My team is:
1.WARNER
2. SLATER
3. SMITH
4. M.WAUGH
5.S.WAUGH
6. M.CLARKE
7.HADDIN
8.MATHEWS
9.STARC
10.MACGILL
11.MCGRATH
12. BEVAN

My order would be:

Warner
Taylor
M Waugh
S Waugh
Clarke
Bevan
Emery
McGrath
MacGill
Matthews (the bloke absolutely oozed Blue - plus it took Warne to oust him from the Test team).
Whitney
12th Man - Simon Cook, he could steamroll batting orders... ;-)

Reserves : Starc, Haze, Lyon

Gets even harder if you consider what S.Waugh, M.Waugh, Bevan, Clarke and Smith were like as bowlers at their peak. All were genuine all rounders and would go close to holding a spot as bowlers in a lot of teams.
Same could be said for Mathews Starc & Lee with the bat then you have the likes of Watson & Henriques as traditional all rounders, Haddin or Gilchrist as a keeper.
I might just pick a team of all rounders.

My NSW team of all rounders with HS and BB
Watson 203 7/69
M.Waugh 229* 6/68
S. Waugh 249* 6/51
Clarke 329* 6/9
Smith 215 7/64
Bevan 216 6/82
Henriques 265 6/94
Gilchrist 204
Mathews 184 8/52
Starc 99 8/73
Lee 97 7/114

My NSW team of all rounders with HS and BB
Watson 203 7/69
M.Waugh 229* 6/68
S. Waugh 249* 6/51
Clarke 329* 6/9
Smith 215 7/64
Bevan 216 6/82
Henriques 265 6/94
Gilchrist 204
Mathews 184 8/52
Starc 99 8/73
Lee 97 7/114

I know Gilchrist started his career in n.s.w but not sure whether you can claim him?but didn't he play nearly all his career in w.a

Both Gilchrist and Watson are stretching it but I guess eligible.
Would be a very interesting side only the keeper who hasn't taken at least a 6 for, everyone down to 8 has scored a 1st class double ton or better.

Depends on weather your you are looking solely at who played for NSW or if you say played the majority of cricket for NSW Watto is a Queenslander, however he actually debuted for Tasmania in first class cricket. Other NSW greats started elsewhere ie. Stuart McGill and Simon Katich, also Beau Casson all WA. Some went the other way, Jeff Thompson and AB went to Qld and more recently Usman too. Bevan finished with Tasmania.....

Back
Top Bottom