Bent over by Fedex twice in a row

ozsportscardcollector

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
Just got a mesage from Fedex that they want $200 for a 14 month old PSA return. They are absolute %^&*s

They did it to my last SGC return as well.

How are people grading? Especially those doing bulk subs. Are you declaring under $1000? If so, how do you insure the cards properly? Do Fedex have a list of people they continue to target? Never had an issue before with my first 5 PSA subs now two on the bounce( one with SGC).

I was finished with this game anyway but needed to vent after receiving the news.

The only solace is that the return has some soccer cards that gemmed and there is some hope that those can recoup the grading costs but it's no guarantee.

Fedex are doing their bit to stifle economic activity. I'd like to use stronger language but will refrain.

How can you be taxed on cards that are potentially worth less than they were raw? Some of the PSA9's are possibly worth less than they were raw.

Hope everyone here is doing well, lol. Better than me anyway.

Hi mate,
I sub through Laine at "The Hobby" and never had any issues. They do however cover all costs apart from cards being shipped from VIC to your address. I have been up-charged by PSA a couple of times but i am ok with that.
If interested in selling some of this off, please feel free to PM me what you have and prices? I may be interested..
Cheers
John

Getting upcharged by PSA is a good thing. It means you've done well.

So does Laine cover the FEDEX costs? I'd love to know. I've just had someone say that they get taxed by FEDEX every time they sub. If that is the case fair enough but as mentioned I never had this happen with my first five subs despite declaring up to 5K and now it's twice in a row. Once with SGC and now PSA. Do these brokers put you on a list and target you every time? Someone on here said they have never been taxed by FEDEX and have done many subs. I don't get it.

I might just do another sub, declare for peanuts, do it under a different name, different address and see what happens. I hate the idea that there is some grubby, greedy customs broker targeting specific submitters.

Grading is expensive enough without getting a mystery charge at the back end.

Thanks for the offer of purchase but will look to move them closer to the world cup. The rest were Juan Soto rookies for my pc.

I think you should probably be happy you were not taxed on the first submissions rather than angry you were on the last two.

I don't know the specific Australian importation tax laws and thresholds but if it is any thing like New Zealand then you should be paying tax and customs fees on any item over a certain value (and $5000 will be wayyyyy over).

You can argue you aren't really "importing" the cards as they were yours to begin with. I have no idea how that would hold up leagally or if you should only pay on say any value-added through the grading. However, as it currently stands FedEx doesn't know (or care) about any of that. All the information they have is that you are receiving items worth $5000 from an overseas company so they charge you accordingly.

(Again, I do not know, or care, about the specifics of Australian import laws, so don't hammer me if some of the details are wrong. However, this will be the broad strokes of what is happening.)

To get around it you would need to declare at a low value but insure (if you want insurance) through a third party. Probably most easily done by using a US freight forwarder like Shipmycards.

Getting upcharged by PSA is a good thing. It means you've done well.

So does Laine cover the FEDEX costs? I'd love to know. I've just had someone say that they get taxed by FEDEX every time they sub. If that is the case fair enough but as mentioned I never had this happen with my first five subs despite declaring up to 5K and now it's twice in a row. Once with SGC and now PSA. Do these brokers put you on a list and target you every time? Someone on here said they have never been taxed by FEDEX and have done many subs. I don't get it.
All costs are covered apart from the shipping the completed graded cards from VIC to your address. The only other cost you may pay is upcharges. I have never been charged any tax.
Laine sends off a monthly submission to both PSA and SGC. Check out his website. I have never been more happy with my subs...

Customs used to be anything over $1000 value but then they brought in the tax on anything over $0 rule so really you should be paying GST on everything you bring into the country. Now, I'm not saying that if you provide an invoice showing a $0 value as it's returned goods they should let it through, but .......

I think you should probably be happy you were not taxed on the first submissions rather than angry you were on the last two.

I don't know the specific Australian importation tax laws and thresholds but if it is any thing like New Zealand then you should be paying tax and customs fees on any item over a certain value (and $5000 will be wayyyyy over).

You can argue you aren't really "importing" the cards as they were yours to begin with. I have no idea how that would hold up leagally or if you should only pay on say any value-added through the grading. However, as it currently stands FedEx doesn't know (or care) about any of that. All the information they have is that you are receiving items worth $5000 from an overseas company so they charge you accordingly.

(Again, I do not know, or care, about the specifics of Australian import laws, so don't hammer me if some of the details are wrong. However, this will be the broad strokes of what is happening.)

To get around it you would need to declare at a low value but insure (if you want insurance) through a third party. Probably most easily done by using a US freight forwarder like Shipmycards.
Yes it seems that I got lucky for the first 5 rather than unlucky for the last two.

If I ever do another sub I'll give Laine a try. I've only heard good things about him. I used to love doing the subs myself but wondering what fedex will charge at the backend is not a great feeling.

That's if March 2021 ever returns to me :(

33 Chances ;)
That's interesting. My sub was from April 2021. Got in just before they closed their doors. However, I did pay the new price ($25 per) which added another $330 to the overall bill. I had 33 cards myself ( 11x10's and 22 x9's).

I'm tipping you'll get a similar result - 33% gem rate.

Back
Top Bottom