OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
cyclistmick
COMC User
cyclistmick
Hi Everyone,

When Beckett does card pricing they're very up front on how they work out the price.

What do you do when you see cards on Ebay or COMC that are 5 or 6 or even 10 times the high price of Beckett?

I started sending Best Offer but people are really offended and on COMC they just lock how low you can offer.

I know it's all relative about price, how often you see the card, when was the last time it available but some people have had cards on for months and in some cases years!

Ebay have less and less auctions because they know that the prices are unrealistic.

I know a card is worth what someone else will pay but being a single player collector it's frustrating! :cool:

I know a card is worth what someone else will pay

That's literally all there is to it. Beckett being a guide, and not a $RRP, really doesn't do anything except track (very belatedly) the price range for cards.

It used to work as a magazine when trading as kids when all you had to offer was other cards, but these days most people are tracking sale values on things like 130point.

Also, FWIW, I know a lot of people (myself included) set BIN prices high for a reason - too many people make far-to-low offers. If you get a 20% Best Offer on a list price of $100, or on a list price of $300, that's a far different negotiating starting point.

Although, the adage of "send it to auction and you'll find out the real price" is fairly true.

The one thing I've found with eBay (and why I never buy off there) is it seems to be - largely - a haven for investors. The scum of our hobby who will buy in major bulk (boxes, cases) get the top stuff out of it to hold for a later date then sell the rest at higher prices to make up what they spent. I'm not saying all eBay sellers do this, but a good number of them do. Especially when they have a card for sale at, say, $5 but want $30 for shipping. And the card is really only worth $2.50.

So I thought I could could get a good deal from an eBay auction, I was wrong.
I have gone back over all the auctions recently because a card I really wanted kept on going up by a person with a very low number of feedback.
Guess what they only bid with this seller. Reported them and nothing happened. I decided to look back at other actions and everyone of them had a person who only bids on that sellers item. One had over 100 bids with that seller and had never won one of their items.
Bloody eBay and I’m not even a good detective.

Back
Top Bottom