Basketball Cards - Where to start?

Kempos kingz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Mark Kempster
As someone who just started out collecting a month or two ago, here is my advice (I realise you didn't ask for general advice but I figured I'd share):

1. Buy singles (as plenty have suggested here), you can get very good cards that you would chase in a box or break for good prices at auctions.

2. Boxes are terrible ROI, you basically need to hit a decent numbered card to get value and you can be left with plenty of base cards. Good feeling opening them but deflating when you hit nothing and have paid a premium price for the box.

3. Breaks are super fun and well worth the $ imo, you can shop around to find the best value. Some US based companies are better value with AUD reasonable against USD and do free international shipping (or use ShipMyCards to make it decent still). It's easy to get hooked and not all breaks are created equal. My personal fav is Bomber breaks, they have a great format and I like the dude who does it (I am not affiliated).

4. DYOR - you can save money in this game if you are willing to research new pathways to getting value. I am constantly engaging with people on Social Media, marketplaces, forums etc and have picked up cheap singles and boxes that are well below the going price.

Any queries, hit me up on DM.

As someone who just started out collecting a month or two ago, here is my advice (I realise you didn't ask for general advice but I figured I'd share):

1. Buy singles (as plenty have suggested here), you can get very good cards that you would chase in a box or break for good prices at auctions.

2. Boxes are terrible ROI, you basically need to hit a decent numbered card to get value and you can be left with plenty of base cards. Good feeling opening them but deflating when you hit nothing and have paid a premium price for the box.

3. Breaks are super fun and well worth the $ imo, you can shop around to find the best value. Some US based companies are better value with AUD reasonable against USD and do free international shipping (or use ShipMyCards to make it decent still). It's easy to get hooked and not all breaks are created equal. My personal fav is Bomber breaks, they have a great format and I like the dude who does it (I am not affiliated).

4. DYOR - you can save money in this game if you are willing to research new pathways to getting value. I am constantly engaging with people on Social Media, marketplaces, forums etc and have picked up cheap singles and boxes that are well below the going price.

Any queries, hit me up on DM.
Thanks heaps for the feedback mate! Really appreciated and I will definitely PM you for a chat soon 👍

Your first question has to be why are you getting into the card game?
Is it a Hobby, an investment or are you wanting to collect a player or set or team etc.
As mentioned above, opening boxes is a great thrill but given the prices, it can become costly.
Do plenty of research, check recent sales (via ebay or 130point.com).
Get on Insta or FB and start following card stores (locally and abroad).
Jump into a few cheap breaks (Pick Your Own Team or Random). These can start at just $5 but go well into the hundreds (depending on the product).
Set a budget (or price point) and be true to that. Card collecting can be seen as a form of gambling (especially thru buying boxes, very addictive and heavy losses can accumulate very quickly).

I see people entering breaks like they pop a few pineapples on the brickies laptop. I really feel it can get out of control for some people.

I have done a couple of breaks and feel like shit after them because I always get the worst team and never any hits. Some hit first time and then it's all over.

I try buying cheap retail and preorders and spend big $$$ on high end boxes i hold.

Back
Top Bottom