Bad Auction Experience .. Self Inflicted

nazimcricket

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Nazim
Well guys, I decided to take a dip into the last Charles Leski Auctions. My first foray into CLA world! Being casual and carefree about it all, as well as uber busy at work, I neglected to properly research everything about it and put down a couple of bids. One was for the Bradman card that Richo has previously posted. I didn't bother with anything more than the minimum bid and did not win that.

The second lot, which I did win, ended up costing me a lot more than I thought (partly due to my own negligence) and failed to reach my expectations.

The lot was for some first day covers and given the calibre of the sample cover posted, signed by McGrath, Boon and Co., I expected the other 21 first day covers to be of exceptional quality as well. Sadly what I got was a let down to me. One of the autographs claimed to be that of Imran Khan, I would dispute as well.

To add insult to injury, my negligence meant that I was caught out by an unexpected cost of G.S.T. and a 20% buyer's commission on top of the already top heavy minimum bid requirement. I ended up paying almost $100 extra on top of the winning bid. Oh well, lesson learnt.

In terms of what I got, unfortunately some of the FDCs are pretty poor quality and some contain obscure county cricketer autographs, which wasn't what I expected.

Anyhow, to make the best of a less than ideal situation, I would love some assistance with identifying a few of the autographs and perhaps a bit more information about which County most of the players belong to, so I can catalogue them on my website correctly:

www.nazimcricket.com/unknown.php

Your not alone. I have had a similar experience. Don't think I would bid again unless I had someone in Melbourne go check the item out for me. Bad luck Naz.

Sorry to hear that Naz - the buyer's commission, freight costs, GST etc can be a nasty surprise, although in Leskis defence their charges are no worse than most big auction houses. Good idea to share this with all on OCT though because the additional costs are very easily overlooked for someone dipping their toe in the water for the first time.

Most of the items I have bought from Leskis have been game used memorabilia with good photos to accompany them. The only card item was a player edition of the Heritage set which fortunately came in very condition.

So don't let this one experience put you off Naz - you can find some great stuff at Leskis, but with multiple items they often don't have pics of every item in the lot...

Some times buying from Auction Houses isn't worth it, once you pay GST, Commission and the over inflated postage cost, your bargain becomes a rip off..
I once purchased 8 caps x 4 lots, so 32 caps all up from Grays, they tried to slug me $60 in delivery, delivery all up would be no more than $8 via Australia Post (within the same city), i knew they would send by a courier, so a higher cost, i told them to combine or send them in 4 seperate box's, in the end they compromised and i paid about $20

Sorry to read this Naz......I got bit by Leski's early on but not by item quality or buyers premium as I had read that in the terms & conditions before I bid. I was bit by poor postage methods and posted here about it here at OZCards.

Now I live in Melbourne and work only 15km from Leski's I pick everything up AND inspect everything that I bid on. Once I bid on an item then inspected the next day (before the auction was held) and saw the cards were well below expected but Leski's was happy to remove my bid.

Overall I would say my experiences with Leski Auctions has been VERY POSITIVE, some things I have picked up for a bargain and others at about the going price. My reccommendation to potential bidders is to add 22% on top of your potential bidding price and if happy with that then bid away as that is what is added at the end of the auction. I recently bought 13oz of Silver Proof Coins from Leski Auctions and still got them for under the going silver price.....even with the buyers premium so there are definitely some bargains to be had.

Anyways mate, sorry to read it was not as good as expected.....if you see`something there you like again let me know as I usually go there once a month for a viewing.

Regards

Thats the main reason that i only look at the Leski Auction site and have never made a bid because they show very few photos for so many items available!
I reckon so many people have been disappointed as you are with their purchase as you expect quality and you get quantity instead!

You certainly are in the company of many others!

Thats the main reason that i only look at the Leski Auction site and have never made a bid because they show very few photos for so many items available!
I reckon so many people have been disappointed as you are with their purchase as you expect quality and you get quantity instead!

You certainly are in the company of many others!

The thing is....EVERY time I have asked for more pics they have assited and put them up for me.

If you contact them though their contact page and ask for more pics of a particular auction you can bet they will help you out......sometimes it takes a few days but they usually get it up pretty quick!

@Richo, thanks for the offer to help if there is anything of interest next time.

At the end of the day, I don't want this post to become a negative one towards Leskis. They were very polite to me on the phone, when I asked them to explain the additional charges etc. In hindsight, I probably should have asked for more information about the lot and I definitely should have read all the terms and conditions. My mistake entirely. Just annoyed with myself. Really didn't get my $$$ worth out of this deal, but oh well, it's done now!!

Ironically I was going to ask questions on OCT before bidding, but got busy with work and put up an impulse bid without thinking too much about it. Lesson learnt!

Back
Top Bottom