Australian Open !!!!

happymerv

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Chris
Did anyone else go to the Australia Open today??, wow i went with my girlfriend and a few mates and it was awesome. we got ground passes and lobbed into Vodafone arena and saw Robby Ginepri beat Jurgen Melzer in a pretty good match but then came Tszvetana Pironkova's win over Venus Williams it was the best tennis match i have ever seen, i'm not one for tennis but Pironkova had so much fight in her, Williams had awesome power but Pironkova's will won her the game in the end :D :smt038 and it was her first grand slam too. i'd recommend going to the open to anyone . it was a great day and pretty cheap at $27 a ticket

Nice effort goin to the games guys... $27 is pretty damn good Melbournites if you can make it.

[-X Hey JV... lay off Mariah and Martina already

:smt066 :smt071 :smt067 :smt068 :smt072

day 2 schedule

Games you could see tomorrow on ground pass.

Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Mary Pierce (FRA)[5]
vs. Nicole Pratt (AUS)

followed by
Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Tommy Haas (GER)
vs. Richard Gasquet (FRA)[14]

Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Andy Murray (GBR)
vs. Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)

Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Yoon Jeong Cho (KOR)
vs. Kim Clijsters (BEL)[2]

Victor Hanescu (ROM)
vs. Guillermo Coria (ARG)[6]

Tomas Zib (CZE)
vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)[15]

Luis Horna (PER)
vs. Gael Monfils (FRA)[22]

Yuliana Fedak (UKR)
vs. Anastasia Myskina (RUS)[12]

Don't forget this as well guys....

Bands Bonus For Tennis Fans
by Jordan Chong
Monday, 16 January, 2006

It isn't only the sweet sound of racquet striking ball that will keep the thousands of patrons at Melbourne Park entertained at Australian Open 2006.

In addition to the great on-court play, Garden Square will host some of Australia's brightest musical acts, as well as a couple of enduring favourites, in the early evening.

The initiative has grown from strength to strength in recent years, with the fans enjoying the entertainment as much as the bands enjoy performing in the intimate setting.

Kicking things off on Day One was local Melbourne trio The Spazzys, with 67 Special, Thirsty Merc, Sarah McLeod, Dallas Crane and Dan Kelly and the Alpha Males to follow during the fortnight.

And for those more nostalgic among you, Pseudo Echo has been booked for a one-hour concert following the women's Final and Hoodoo Gurus will be the headline act at 6pm leading into the men's decider on Sunday night, January 29.

According to Australian Open Marketing Manager Felicity Selkirk, the Garden Square gig is proving very popular, with many of the bands that have played there in the past anxious to return the following year.

But Selkirk says organisers try to have a new mix of bands each year, meaning that few get to make a second appearance.

"We got approached a lot this year by the bands because I think the word has sort of spread now that it's a great gig to play. It's a really relaxed gig, it's acoustic, it's the middle of summer," Selkirk explains.

"We choose bands that haven't played here before because we like to have a new line-up of bands every year to keep it fresh and alive."

One of the more interesting acts will play on Tuesday night, with 1987 Wimbledon champion Pat Cash bringing together an All-Star line-up comprising members from bands such as Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Rose Tattoo, Bad Company, The Cult, and The Pretenders among others.

Selkirk says Cash was desperate to bring his travelling troup to Melbourne Park.

"Pat Cash came up to me in the Beer Garden last year and asked how he could play on the stage so we've been in contact with him all year," Selkirk said.

"He's here, he's incredibly excited and he's been rehearsing very hard so we're looking forward to that (on Tuesday night)."

"He played here a couple of years ago at the ball with Jon Stevens (from Noiseworks). He's telling me he can get up there and play for an hour so I've got all the confidence in the world in him."

A big attraction is the ability to interact with their fans up-close, with around 3000 the maximum capacity of Garden Square.

"It's a beautiful area, it's nice and intimate. The stage is not a big, daunting stage, it's only six metres wide and three metres deep so it's a really little stage."

"They get really close to their crowds, which doesn't happen often if they are doing concerts and large festivals and so on. They also like being at the tennis, a lot of them will stay and watch the night match."

kidd05 said:
Don't forget to share with us some Kournikouva, Hingis, and Ivanovic pics!!! :D

Yesyesyes lots of Ivanovic pics, Ana is the hottest womens player in the world:smt007 also, lots of hunchtukova (sp?) and sharapova too.

I dont rate Hingis at all, i dunno why everyone loves her so much. and hasnt kournokova retired, or was that just a bad dream? :D

Stop kissing my avatar dude!!

Hey I just had an idea.. maybe we should have an avatar theme for every month... like for this month, tennis stars. :D

On second thought... nah. I'll just keep my Ana avatar til I get married lol.

ground pass action for day 3

Lindsay Davenport (USA)[1] vs. Karolina Sprem (CRO)

Mario Ancic (CRO)[18] vs. Jan Hernych (CZE)

Camille Pin (FRA) vs. Serena Williams (USA)[13]

Jean-Christophe Faurel (FRA) vs. James Blake (USA)[20]

Robby Ginepri (USA)[13] vs. Denis Gremelmayr (GER)

Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)[17] vs. Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB)

Xavier Malisse (BEL) vs. Thomas Johansson (SWE)[10]

Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) vs. Radek Stepanek (CZE)[17]

Gaston Gaudio (ARG)[8] vs. Lars Burgsmuller (GER)

Arantxa Parra Santonja (ESP) vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)[14]

Fabrice Santoro (FRA) vs. Andrei Pavel (ROM)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :(

Ivanovic just got spanked in the Open! Oh well. Back to Serbia she goes hehe.

Time to change my avatar. :D Good win for the Aussie Samantha Stosur though.

I went rd2, mainly stayed in rod laver but had to go check out a little of petrova's match ;) but yer saw ljubicic a croatian and a gun ' 7th seed'
Henin was an alright match
and then saw roddick, man that guy is so cool A-Rod!!!!! if all the aussies flop which always happens then im going for him and sharapova.
he so cool, fastest serve i saw him do was 232k, he is a freak. but apart from his serve he is on the same playing feild as most of the other seeds/

was good day, i enjoyed the cricket more tho cause i love cricket, not an avid tennis lover but enjoy the slams.

Back
Top Bottom