Australian Baseball looks toward a bright future

Reds

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Scott
eBay User
soar-like-an-eagle
Jennifer Stockman, Wednesday, 1 July 2009

The Australian Baseball Federation held a joint press conference with the Federal Government and Major League Baseball International this afternoon at Palm Meadows Baseball Complex on the Gold Coast to acknowledge their collaboration on a plan for a new national league.

Over the past decade, the Australian Baseball Federation has worked closely with Major League Baseball International and the Australian Federal Government; through the offices of the Australian Sports Commission; to produce world class Development and High Performance baseball programs. The jewel of these efforts is the Major League Baseball Australian Academy Program (MLBAAP).

It was this very Program that set the backdrop for today's conference, which was paneled by the Federal Minister for Sport – The Honourable Ms. Kate Ellis MP; Major League Baseball's Senior VP of International Operations - Mr. Paul Archey; Gold Coast City Council Mayor – His worship the Mayor Mr. Ron Clarke; and President of the Australian Baseball Federation - Mr. Geoff Pearce.

The collaboration will be chaired by Mark Peters, former CEO of the Australian Sports Commission; who will work with Major League Baseball International and the Australian Baseball Federation to lead the process of development and rollout of the new National League initiative.

"I am excited about what lies ahead", said Peters.

The question on everyone's lips is 'where the teams will be based'.

"This decision that will rely heavily on the facilities that are available", Peters said.

Head of MLB International Paul Archey, in town from New York, demonstrated a genuine commitment on behalf of the International powerhouse toward the development of baseball in this country as a whole.

"I cannot tell you when this will happen or where, but I can tell you that Major League Baseball is committed to this initiative and look forward to working with the Federal Government and the Australian Baseball Federation to further develop the game of baseball in Australia through planning a new national league", he said.

The Federal Minister for Sport, the Honourable Kate Ellis showed her support for the initiative by announcing funding of $400,000 to help support the plans and looks forward to continuing the Government's relationship with MLB and ABF in what are proving to be exciting times for the sport.

"Australian baseball has done a great job in securing this significant partnership with Major League Baseball – developing up and coming athletes and strengthening the game in Australia" Ms Ellis said.

"This funding will help baseball to develop the next generation of Australian baseball stars" said Ms Ellis.

President of the Australian Baseball Federation, Mr. Geoff Pearce, acknowledged the excitement this brings to the sport, but understands there is a long way to go.

"There is a great deal of work required to build this initiative, but through the acknowledged support of the Federal Government and Major League Baseball International, there is certainly great strength in this collaborative foundation.

The ABF and MLBI are delighted with the continued support of the Federal Government, and particularly the new funding announced today by the Federal Minister for Sport, the Hon Kate Ellis MP, for this important initiative.

Further information on this collaborative initiative will be released at a later date.

I'd be worried about the quality of players...

I mean our best prospects leave for the states at 17-18 and have to spend a good 8-10 years trying to get to the majors if they are serious. I just wonder what incentives would be in place for players to stay in the ABL and play. It's not like the A-League where you can be one of the top players then get signed for an 1 Div/EPL club and play straight away. I see our best players getting poached but then languishing in A or AA ball.

The flip side is that if they turn 27-28 and still haven't made it, maybe they can come back to Aus with all the experience and skills and play in our league. That way they still have 4-5 years to play.

I think it will make the Australian Rep sides stronger as well as players are playing in a high calibre local comp rather than just the state based club competitions.

I wonder if it will be city or state based teams. Bring back the Bandits!!!

Mark.

I agree that prospects might leave young, but the reality is we need a national league, to give other top players a chance at the highest possible level in this country.

the young prospects will leave whether we have a national league or not. unfortunately kids dont grow up hoping to play in Australia...
most of the comp will be filled with guys that have been playing over in college/pro ball and have given it up. i dont think it would be very successful from a 'stepping stone' point of view.
if people go and watch the games, then its all good.

If our competition is played in Summer it will be the off season for the US. Dave Nilsson used to play for the Brewers and in the ABL.

There was nothing wrong with the old ABL they ran out of money from what I understand. The quality of baseball kept me entertained. The major league teams sent over their rookies and so on to play. Gary Matthews was one of them, he's an acceptable player

Bring it on

Klattsy, I prefer the Brisbane Redback Bitter Bandits

Back
Top Bottom