Australia vs Italy!!! GO AUSSIES!!!

On a BLATANT bloody DIVE!!! :mad: I gotta say, sometimes it appears to pay to NOT be a good sport, cos you get rewarded for diving, and penalised for staying on your feet... BS call from the ref in the end, ESPECIALLY at that time... He should be put against a wall and shot for that... [-X

Very harsh way to lose a game.... last minute of a knock out game massive call.... but Grosso did look like he could have got the ball to the open striker who would have netted it.... Head up Aussies... Massive Effort..!

axeman23 said:
On a BLATANT bloody DIVE!!! :mad: I gotta say, sometimes it appears to pay to NOT be a good sport, cos you get rewarded for diving, and penalised for staying on your feet... BS call from the ref in the end, ESPECIALLY at that time... He should be put against a wall and shot for that... [-X

As much as i am heartbroken to see them lose this way. I think that was all that Lucas Neill needed to do stay on his feet, he only had to hold him up momentarily and the whistle would have been blown

i think the final call was a very bad decision the guy basically saw that lucas was on the ground then fell over him, ahhh such a dissapointment the result , not the game, as we aussies have nothing to be ashamed about a quality performance from the start of the cup to the finish, we proved that we can play at the highest level and more than hold our own, i think we would have looked more dangerous on offence if we had harry on the left wing but they we didnt and the boys that played in the position played well, WELL DONE AUSSIES YOU CAN HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH, CONGRATS ON A TOP PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!

This is why Soccer is a pussies game.

When a blatantly biased decision can decide the result of a game, with I betcha no bloody acknowledgement from FIFA... it's just wrong.

I saw more bad acting in last nights game than I see in soapies. I think the only way to deal with this crap is to have a video ref for ALL penalty decisions (I mean the penalty kick in the box).... that way the ref cannot freakin cheat.

And if it is proven fropm the replay the opposition player took a dive they should be red carded.... you do not deserve to play if all you wanna do is jump around holding your shin when it wasn't hit or falling over soemone you could have jumped over.....

The same thing irks me in aussie football.... players flinging their arms out like they are sugar gliders when they feel a slight tug on the jumper, instead of playing the ball... often times to the team detriment.....

Hats of to the Socceroos, was glad I watched it, some amazing football against the Italians..... shame about the match fixing on the Refs part. Still SHOULD have won the game before then with a one man advantage....

well, im ****ing gutted after last night. i cant remember a more depressing moment in oz sporting history...to get knocked out of the world cup cos of a very questionable refereeing decision with 5 ****ing seconds left in injury time is about the cruelest most unfair way to lose. the fact that Lucas Neill, who has been an absolute rock at the back, and probably our best player all tournament long, was the culprit is just a cruel joke. he would feel bloody devestated, that moment will stay with him for a long time. if only he stayed on his feet, i FIRMLY believe the match would have gone to penalties and we would have won, thus going on to meet ukraine, who we would have destroyed, to set up a semi final with germany or argentina.

a 10-0 thrashing would hav been far easier to accept, and honestly speaking, italy probably deserved to win. they kept us scoreless with 1 less man, and their shots on goal were a lot more threatening.

but for a ref to make a HUGE call like that, so deep in injury time, for a VERY questionable decision is just total bullshit. im not one for conspiracy theories, but the way the refs have treated the aussies all through the world cup is ****ing shockingly biased. the result is is not the issue, the way the match was decided was.

its especially ****ed cos of the way the whole country got behind the team, there was such hope and the knowledge we could beat any team in the world, then to just break the hearts of 20 million people like that...its just ****ed up.

At that time, I was mainly talking about when our guys are on attack and they get pushed, they do whatever they can to stay up and keep chasing the ball, rather than go down like a sack of crap... Neill might've been better off staying up, but then the Italian probably would've run into him anyway, and gone down clutching his face in supposed agony. Can't fault our boys though, they did all we could've expected and more. Also, good to see everyone getting behind Neill, coz he certainly didn't deserve it, and had saved us from goals plenty of times... Hats off to them all! :D

Billyhoyle said:
As much as i am heartbroken to see them lose this way. I think that was all that Lucas Neill needed to do stay on his feet, he only had to hold him up momentarily and the whistle would have been blown

and I read a report that there was actually 12 secons remaining and Italian strikers coming through the middle of the box as well.

Have to feel a little bit for schwarzer he picked the right way to go but the kick was just to good

Nice mate, I totally agree with you. As close as it was to us making it through and the questionable umpire decision, Neill just needed to stay on his feet and belt the ball out of there.

Congrats for getting this far Aussies! :D

Commiserations fellas. I watched the game from 7 am this morning and then had to go to school with 15 minutes left. I went down to get the school tv cos I thought it'd go to ET but when I got it plugged in in my classroom ( my class each have a team to follow in the WC!!) I saw Totti bang in the penalty! BUGGER!
From a neutral perspective - sort of - u were unlucky, the guy did flop over Neill who couldn't do a bloody thing about it. I don't think refs have been biased against aussie the whole tourney - they are a tough team and they tackle tough. I do think they stand up rather than flop and I hope the game gets cleaned up soon as the way players fall over at the moment is laughable and not the way we play it in Oz and NZ.
I don't think the ref was biased AJ as he sent that bloke off when even though it was a bad tackle it looked like a yellow not a red - he whipped out the card straight away - if u are talking bias he wouldn't have done that...

Just a thought but how would y'all have felt if say Viduka flopped over and won a penalty in the last minute.......hypothetical question I know as he probably wouldn't have but if the shirt colours were changed would u be cheering and saying it was a penalty?? or laughing cos u went through on a dive....

Just a thought but how would y'all have felt if say Viduka flopped over and won a penalty in the last minute.......hypothetical question I know as he probably wouldn't have but if the shirt colours were changed would u be cheering and saying it was a penalty?? or laughing cos u went through on a dive....

I know one thing....Viduka wouldn't have been taking the penalty!!

It goes to show how bullshit the refs have been towards the aussies in all their games. If they get awarded a penalty in the last 10 seconds that wasnt even a penalty than how can a blatant handball by an Itallian defender go un-noticed. We should of had a penalty and been in front 1-0.
WE WERE ROBBED!
we dominiated them in every area like we have done to most teams we have played this world cup but then we have had refs that dictate the result!!
a disgrace, and i would like to personally send on behalf of Australia a **** YOU to Tottie for sucking his thumb like a baby, what an absolute tosser!

First post on this thread. :p

Al raised an important question if it was... with his hypothetically question. :)

Anyway, that penalty call was very very harsh for us and it shouldn't be the way to finish an important game. It was a 50/50 call. I've seen many have been turned down during this year's English Premier League so it depends on the day.

In saying that, I also think that straight red card on Materazzi was another harsh call as well; at most, a yellow card should be given. It wasn't like he was the last man or was it a two footed tackle with his stud up, so in all fairness, that red card was not right and that was the turning point of the game, so we can't really say that the ref was biased on us because he gifted us the opportunity to score for 40+ minutes with our opposition having a man down, which we couldn't fulfil our chances, when we should have.

The Italians defense was strong all game and imagine if we had to play them with 11 man on the field for the whole game. We may even have lost the game because their forwards were playing soundly during the first half, even if we did match their performance, they had the better chances.

And yes, officiating has been quite dismal on this year's World Cup. I couldn't disagree more. Biased, no. Horrible calls, yes.

Just something off-topic, does anyone else thought that ref that who officiated the game between Netherlands / Portugal game, actually did a good job? He got heavily criticised for his calls but I think he controlled the game quite well. Most if not all of those 16 yellow cards was respectively deserved and had a reason(s) to be pulled out. I couldn't believe Figo escaped punishment for his headbutt.

Keep your heads up Socceroos. I hope we'll do well again in the future.

Cheers~

Yeah maybe I'm biased towards the Aussies!!!!

*Japanese Goal shouldn't have been - schwarzer was clearly impeded.
*Marcus Merk
*Viduka rugby tackld against the Croats
*Blatant Handball that was missed against the Croats
*3 Yellows for Suminic
*Crappy penalty for the Italians

Metallica - no doubt they have dominated possession in most matches but no goals to show for it and as someone else said Italy created the best chances....
Hendra - u talk a lot of sense as always. I thought the 1st red in the Portugal game was deserved - didn't see the rest but at some stage do they show common sense or do they ref to the letter of the law like the aussie/italy ref did - 2 footed tackle = red - fall over a defender in the box = penalty

ljandkg said:
Metallica - no doubt they have dominated possession in most matches but no goals to show for it and as someone else said Italy created the best chances....
Hendra - u talk a lot of sense as always. I thought the 1st red in the Portugal game was deserved - didn't see the rest but at some stage do they show common sense or do they ref to the letter of the law like the aussie/italy ref did - 2 footed tackle = red - fall over a defender in the box = penalty

Al,

The first red for Portugal was his second yellow card. Costinha was actually supposed to be red carded for an earlier rough challenge than that one but justice prevailed, he got red carded anyway.

Oh man, btw, let me know when your KG's arrives.

Billyhoyle,

Italy and other participants have just as much unfairness calls as well during this year's World Cup so yeah, unfortunately, we got one that took us out of the WC. Maybe because I actually go for all the participants to win the WC rather than having one favourites, I can actually see it more often than others.

I know Thierry Henry is my favourite footballer but I've showed no strong favouritsm with France.

Bring on Spain & France - that will be a cracker of a match. I've got to go with my early night sleeping routine to catch that one. Brazil & Ghana should be good too. A great match warm-up before seeing the 2 European Giants battle it out. ;)

Cheers~

Back
Top Bottom