Ask me anything about Cricket!

@Keatoboy:

1. What do you think has had the biggest impact on the imbalance between bat and ball in One Day cricket?
a. shorter boundaries, b. heavier bats or c. flatter pitches

2. Do you think that there is any way that a "World Championship" of Test cricket will get off the ground and/or succeed? Is it even necessary?

3. The ECB have changed the rules regarding the coin toss in County matches, whereby the visiting captain can elect to bowl first if they choose (and thus there will be no toss) or toss as normal if they are undecided whether to bat or bowl (and their fate would rest as normal with the correct "call" of heads or tails). Is this a good thing and could/should it be introduced into Shield cricket and eventually Test matches?

4. If there is one law you could change or remove completely from cricket, what would it be and why would you do it?

Hi Matt,

Sorry about the wait!! :)

1. Can I pick all 3? :p Whilst boundaries have gotten a little shorter in recent years, for T20 in particular, I wouldn't pinpoint it as the main reason behind the imbalance. I find it extremely hard to choose between heavier bats and flatter pitches, as they have both had an impact on all forms of cricket. However I would point towards flatter pitches as an imbalance when looking at test cricket, so it has to be heavier bats! There is no doubt that the shorter forms of the game are what started the 'big bat boom', and shorter boundaries and flatter pitches aren't helping!!

2. In short, no. It would be way too complicated to organise, and would take a fair while to stage, considerably longer than a World Cup! The current points system is fine as it is, and should be left that way.

3. In my opinion, while these trials are a step in advancing the game, the toss has been a fair way since cricket began to determine who did what first. I highly doubt it will ever make it to test match level but there is definitely the possibility of seeing this in Shield cricket some point down the track.

4. Not so much of a law, rather than a rule of the DRS. If the ball is hitting the bloody stumps, it's out!! Don't give me this '50% or more of the ball has to be hitting for the decision to be overturned' crap. If the ball's hitting the stumps, the bails are coming off. Simple as that!

Cheers for the great questions Matt

Hi Keaton and everyone,
This set is numbered /84 Im thinking its the 89/90 Scanlens set? Any ideas on value in the condition they are in (very good-mint)
IMG_3031.JPG

Also any idea what year these were from? I am guessing they came with Pura Milk one year and I have around 50 of them.

IMG_3032.JPG

Cheers,
Nick
G'day Nick,

The first picture you posted is of the set you named. The rest of the set can be seen here on this awesome catalogue of cards and other collectibles, compiled by @nazimcricket (cheeky plug there for ya Naz :p ) http://www.nazimcricket.com/cigs2.php?p_link2=scan89

The second picture you attached of the Pura Milk cards is a set of milk caps distributed between 1999 and 2001. There is 22 to the set. An expired eBay listing can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cricket-Vic...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hope that helped! :)

Another request for rare cards - have you ever heard of c1934 Tasmanian Sugar Products?

I've got six of them and am aware of only 21 subjects, including the great man - Don Bradman, which would probably be the rarest Bradman card in the country with only one card known to exist (unfortunately its not mine!). I've attached a high res scan of it for the reader's enjoyment and would love to hear from anyone else with any of them...

1934 Bradman 2.jpg

For me, it's got to be walk! I was given out 3 times on bad decisions season just gone, and 2 of them were from the only SACA accredited umpire in my competition! The first one I smashed the ground and he gave me out caught behind, and the other was an LBW shout that had a massive inside edge and would've gone down leg anyway. Had I known I was out I definitely would've just walked straight away. It might be a somewhat extreme example, but to me, knowing your out and waiting for the umpires decision is like shoplifting and waiting for the cops to catch you out. In saying that I don't have any less respect for people who wait for the umpire's decision, at the end of the day it could be the difference between winning and losing a match!

Cheers for the question Scott! :)
Definitely the right thing to do, a little difficult if you get 3 bad calls tho... its like being told you were shoplifting 3 times when you didn't, so maybe stealing something that last time is ok?

Definitely the right thing to do, a little difficult if you get 3 bad calls tho... its like being told you were shoplifting 3 times when you didn't, so maybe stealing something that last time is ok?
A different way of looking at it, but even if you've been falsely punished thrice, does that make it any less wrong to legitimately commit it?

Just something to think about... :)

Back
Top Bottom