Anyone here play baseball?

Cobretti

Fleer Collector
Real Name
Dominik
Well basketball season is almost over, so I signed up for baseball haha. I didn't realise we had a league here.

Anyway point being does anyone else here play? how long you been playing?

also second question what is a good place to get baseball gear from?

ie hwo much are baseballs? bats? wood or alloy better? etc...

any tips like this would be handy.

I was going to give you all of this info,till I saw you were on the other side of the world :p

I coach and I also have 5 boys who play from ages 7 to 18

Alloy bats will drive a ball further,period. Unsure if it is allowed where you are or in the league you will be in,but if you get an alloy bat, have it turned. Turning the bat will simulate 100 hits on the metal. This will tighten the bat,compress the metals and allow a more solid hit and longer balls. Turning is banned here in any age group since a ball coming off a turned bat can exceed 120 MPH and kill a person in a quick way.
Wood bats give a better feel and a more solid form of contact. Wood is softer than metal,so physics tell you why the ball will not go as far.
Wood is dangerous at lower age groups because splintering wood,cracked bats,etc. Metal bats split, but rarely,if ever, crack in half and get launched at a player.

If you are heavy into practicing ,get a T or fashion one. T's are usually for beginners in the effect they get them used to swinging a bat. However, even my 18 yr old uses one I have fashioned. The purpose is to make your main line,level swing, mechanical. Done without though. If you get to where you can crack the ball just below chest heigth,every time and making no contact with the stand/ball holder, you can then consider your accuracy dead on :)
At that point, if you have even rudimentary hand/eye coordination, your body will adjust to any ball coming your way,giving you a solid hit each time.
Think about it, in ANY thing we do in life,repetitive actions teach us the best . In the military you are taught to be able to do your job,effectively,efficiently and nearly robotic because you may be doing it under fire, with no sleep, in bad weather,etc,etc. The same applies to anything.
Batting cages end up being costly,time consuming and do more harm than good unless you can control the ball feed timing. Most machines launch,then a 5 second count, launch,over and over.
Make sure you are using a cored ball and not a rubber packed ball.

I could tell you more on how to stand, move and hold your bat as well as how to correct issues, but you may not need all of that and youtube has some decent videos :)

For bats, do not fall into the hype.
ZOMG ! MUST HAVE THE NEW CATALYST !!...No....

The primary issue is finding bats to try out. No one will let you take a new bat and beat the **** out of it too see if it works for you. I do not know if your area of the world has Walmart,Kmart or any such type of store, but it is best to get a cheap 30.00 bat to practice with,to get into the "groove" get the motion and feeling of the swing down, prior to considering a full time bat. God knows I hate it when I piss 200+ on a bat and one of my boys says " nah,that TPX bat feels better and I get a better transition on it" and I have to go out and piss another 200-300 .

THis will sound retarded, but Kangaroo hide gloves are the best. I saw retarded as most people on this board have had to avoid them while driving or some other such issue,whereas I have seen them in the zoo only :p

I do know Bretts Catcher's mitt is Kangaroo hide and I can feel a serious difference in it and a cow hide. The snap takes less tension it opens much easier than a treated and cured cow hide.

If you need any other tips, let me know ;)

thanks for replying.

I have a glove already (had it for 8 years now) not usre what it is but it is almost brand new as I only used it a few times . I like the feel of it and I can catch well in it so all good.

I guess what I wanted to ask is, how do I know what size bat do I want I seen different inches. I assume that is the length? ie 27 30 and 32 inch ones. ie is there a right one for a persons hieght and strength and body build etc..?

and what is turning th ebat?

also do I need some special shoes or are normal runners fine?

im i think 5-9 to 5-11 somewhere there.

Now you guys talk in pounds for weight. I guess about 240-250lbs. very solid chest and back. I've had a cricket bat broken on my back without hurting me so solid is the word haha.

edit: well i guess it be somewhat seriously league. as it is the only league haha

Corbretti - Fielders Choice is the best baseball supply store we have but I think its only Perth, Melbourne & Brisbane. I would try Rebel Sports. A-Mart normally only have crap.

Buy an aluminium bat. Try them out in store. They go by size and weight. Make sure it reaches your waist. Then just pick one that feels nice. Like a cricket bat. They range in all different prices, normally around $150+ for an average one. I like Easton and have always used them. I doubt anyone in Australia turns bats. If you buy a new glove, that will definitely need wearing in but if you have an old one its all good.

I would get your own helmet as well. When I played it was hard for me to borrow a helmet that fit. Plus if you do find one that fits, it could be on the base paths when you're at bat...Plus get batting gloves and a cup obviously.

And definitely get cleats. DON'T use runners. You will slip on the base paths. You will have to ask your club if you can use metal. When I played we couldn't.

Hope this helps!
Mark.

Not sure what a cricket bat is, but I have had a school bus pulled over mine, and I am still here too :)

Your height weight, try a drop 3 ( the difference between the Weight VS length -3) Make sure there is a set allowance before buying

Like he said there,example, Easton :)

Good bat,but make your own decisions. Everyone in my household uses Catalysts, since the difference between it and most bats in the low age groups is dramatically noticeable, but in a Senior or higher ball, it is not as noticeable

We charge 10.00 to turn a bat. If there are none in Australia, sounds like free money to be made :)

Anyway,I digress, for your height, unless you look like Magilla Gorilla and your knuckles drag the ground, try swinging a 31 weight, 34 length.

if you are after baseball gear there is a good web site called eastbay. they ship alot of equiptment over to perth as fielders choices prices are some what expensive. reading the info that you have put up you should be able to swing a 33 to 34 inch bat pending on what you are allowed to swing in the league. wood can break if not used correctley, trust me i bought a $120 bat from melbourne and first hit it shattered.
check out eastbay and let us know what ya think..

I play masters baseball (over 35s) once a year in the Victorian comp. Weekly I play fast pitch (more fun).

Try Ausport Superstore for your gear as they seem to be the cheapest around due to their buying power.
Fielders Choice - www.fielders.net - are great as well and stock different items to Ausport.

You must get cleats if you want to stay upright around the base paths.
I wear rubber cleats as they are softer on my feet with the hard grounds we have due to the drought.

I also recommend if allowed to use alloy bats as they go further.
But wood bats are so much cooler but can break.

Have fun with your baseball journey.

hi
thought i would chip in with a recommendation baseballsavings.com is really cheap - they have regular specials and ship to australia for reasonable prices.
with the aussie dollar strong, it is a fair comparison to shipping from places like fielders etc

I don't play baseball rather be a spectator lol! probably wouldn't be that good at it

Anyone able to help me out locating some Rawlings ROMLB ,after some locally Fielders choice don't order them in but they have the Specification balls per dozen, prefer the real thing as i have read they are the best to use for Autos

I played Baseball and Softball all of my life. I had to retire in about 2000 because I blew my arm pitching in a baseball team in Sydney.

Baseball- I used to play for Wentworthville Eagles, Moorebank, Bankstown Sports and finished my Baseballing career playing 3rd grade at The Great AUBURN ORIOLES. Played a bit of junior reps at both Bankstown District and Cumberland All-Stars.

Softball- I played in the Mens National League for Sydney United and basically wherever their was a game on. At one stage I was playing in about 3 different team every weekend. I made the NSW team in 1997, 1988, 1989 and 1990 and was named in the Australian U/19 team in 1989.

Back
Top Bottom