Any other Hobby interests???

I loved buffy and angel! Then they got axed, then we got Firefly, then it got axed! :( Been watching Bones which is David Boreanaz' new show, pretty good, not fantastic.

JZA said:
and have you read the 2 bruce campbell books, "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way" and "If Chins Could Kill; confessions of a b-movie actor"? both are very awesome, highly recommended!

I have 'If Chins Could Kill' signed by the man himself. I haven't read the new one though but I hear it's just as funny as the first. Bruce Campbell is a great guy, I'd love to meet him.

clarkescards said:
And was even luckier to get all Angels & Buffys in Box Set (not Amaray case), although was slightly more expensive.

Very lucky, most of mine are in the Amaray cases... Though the shows are just that good the packaging doesn't bother me so much hehe

I collect Walker memorabilia too. I have

A stack of t-shirts
Jerseys
Autographed Jerseys
Autographed Balls
Autographed Photos
Kentucky Newspapers with Walker on cover
A pile of magazines with Walker on cover
Bobbleheads
Game DVDs
A heap of figurines
Books and Media Guides
Posters
Game Worn Shorts
Advertisements

ducky_poo said:
i like reading :)

Yeah me too... I forgot my collection of some several hundred books when replying to this thread yesterday...

I actually collect Hardy Boy novels..... just a remnant of my childhood and some happy times, really enjoyed getting new stories of these guys out of the school libraries.

Also, tend to grab as many sports books as possible, plus celebrity biographies etcetera. Current hobby though is to get books with stories based in southern Africa. So have a few Wilbur Smith's in the collection, need to get the Beverly Harper books...

Though I haven't had the motivation to read much lately, apart from stuf fonline.

I used to collect CDs a fair bit, particularly stuff by The Smashing Pumpkins, Garbage, Nine Inch Nails - but also alot of other stuff such as various singles and limited edition Double CD versions of albums that were briefly released from time to time, such as the double versions of Korn's Follow The Leader and Issues. I liked the rarity factor :p

Also, from 1999-2005 i collected music videos, also live performances, band interviews etc. more or less whatever was shown on tv. all of this information i'd then catalogue so as to search my 200+ tapes with relative ease. ive now got an archive of music video history in excess of 5000 different clips

Didn't really do much apart from sport as a kid but i have been into playing poker for the last 4 years. Its a great game!

i no longer collect cards, in fact, i dont really have any hobby as such.
i play online poker in my spare time over at ultimatebet, pokerstars, partypoker and full tilt.
i also train brazilian jiu jitsu, which, if i had my way, i would do every day. its the best sport, physical activity, self defence that one can do, i wish i took it up sooner. makes basketball seem pathetic

i collect all sports memorabilla(authentic nba signed jerseys,cricket,formula1
v8supercars,nascars.ect

great hobby and a valuable investment

hey wall3ace, whereas it may be a great hobby, i put serious doubt as to it being a valuable investment. my "investment" sure hasnt reaped the financial windfall that my shares or property "investments" have gotten me.
i dont want to crush ur dreams of retiring on ur cardboard investments, but see it as a hobby that u might make a little on, but dont call it a valuable investment.
remember, cards and collectibles are worth only as much as some schmuck is willing to pay for it. i might have a one of a kind, limited edition, refracting, transforming, music playing piece of turd, but if smeone doesnt want it, then whats it worth? im guessing nothing

If don't think of my collecting as an investment as I never plan on ever selling any of it so I'll never make a return!

its great that u dont plan on selling it. but i came to a realisation that i have all this money "invested" in cards, and if a problem came along, i couldnt sell the cards to help me to pay for any bills i they were to occur.
hey, maybe i just look at life diffferently, but to me, they r just cards, im not going to die clinging on to them, when i can easily use that money to spend on other things

Some good points there yellows2k
But I guess it all depends on what 'investment' means.
I agree as a general that if people are buying sports memorabilia or collecting cards purely for investment value (ie purely for financial gain) then that's not a good idea.
Having said that, I guess if someone was doing it solely for financial gain, then they would focus on areas that they belived would increase in value, which may well be things like certain Vintage cards etc. I wouldn't have thought the vast majority of the cards we see here at Ozcards will give rise to anyone earning a significant windfall.
Having said that, for almost everyone here it's not just about the Money.
People either like collecting, or they like getting a bit closer to the game or their sporting heroes. Or maybe they enjoy seeing memorabilia hanging on their Walls.
My point is that is not's just about the money.

lockymac is correct. money isnt the issue when it comes to most hobbies. i know guys that pour thousands into modifying cars, just to make it go a few tenths of a second quicker down a 1/4 mile strip. i used to be into cars, i still enjoy reading about them, but i no longer am driven to have the best or sharpest set of wheels on the block like a lot of people r.
i just dont see the sense in it all really. i dont want to sound like a sour puss, but i see people showing off their collection to others, and thats great, but when it comes to collectibles, its often a case of who has the most money wins.
i remember leonardo di caprio put up his star wars collection for sale thru ebay via an agent. to the star wars collector, it was impressive, but then again, a lot of the truly hardcore guys were heavily criticising the collection because of the fact that if they had the amount of funds that di caprio did, then they could build a collection many times better.

i know what your saying i have houses and by far they are the best investment.you took it the wrong way,im not talking cards,im talking jerseys,and other memorabilla,you cant say jordan jerseys i have are not a worthwhile investment,its not a dream of mine,its just a passion and i love it,i love the nba.

Back
Top Bottom