Another collecting crossroads - thoughts and opinions

Well i really appreciate the input guys.

Im quite surprised at how many of you are having similar thoughts to me. I guess after getting same old stuff year after year from Select and then being so disappointing with ESP its time to move on from being a master set collector. I think i will maintain the Knights PC and work at upgrading my Scanlens cards as thats were my interest lies and always has.

I will be taking my time selling this stuff but i definitely will be giving the OCT family first crack. Also i know not everyone has $$$ lying around so if you have/see something you want I will be open to payment plan/laybuy types of arrangements.

I think you should sell your Lamb Inspiration to me. Thats what I think

Its your - PM me!

My best input would be, Think about it long and hard because once they are sold... They are sold. Especially the Newcastle collection. I would hate to sell up then have a change of heart. I know with my Titans collection, some of my IPs of players that have left to go overseas would be near impossible to get again and those cards are usually the 1st to sell.

Good advice there Blade. Thanks!

Having said that I'm pretty convinced its time to move everything on for me.

Start selling Ross. I have a lot of those Select St George sigs you are chasing!;)

At the end of the day Owen its your decision, I mean if you don't have the passion you used to have for collecting and don't enjoy it why do it?

Thanks Justin. Its not that i dont have the passion for collecting - its more that i just spent $1000 odd collecting the ESP Limited Edition release that I would/should have spent on things that i enjoy collecting (like Scanlens and other things i have branched out into).

dont sell them mate hang on to them

Even my ESP cards??:rofl:

If you do end up selling I encourage you to give OZCT first crack before eBay :)

Definitely!

I think the key is in not flogging off everything as fast as you can, it doesn't make a lot of sense to lose 50 cents to the dollar or more.

What?!?!?! No one is going to pay Cardzone prices for all my club player of the year cards!!:rofl:

Hi Owen,

I agree with Blade think hard before selling certain cards. My advice would be if a card has a special place in your collection then think long and hard about keeping it. A while ago I had a massive NBA collection of which I have sold most of them off. I have however kept the first ever high end insert set that I collected in NBA which were all pulled from packets. I don't care about the value of this set it is just a significant set when it comes to my association with the hobby. I agree stick with your Newcastle collection and sell any other card that does not really matter that much to you. After all the reason you are collecting is the game Rugby League and if you were not a supporter of the game more than likely you would not collect rugby league cards. It all comes back to why you collect !!
I worry for the future of the hobby at the moment as the product that is being produced for both NRL and AFL does not warrant collectors attempting to complete full sets. Ozcardtraders attracts the hard core end of the market, people who are willing to devote time to collecting and when they are not satisfied with the product then ESP, Select and other companies should have alarm bells going off !!

Good choice mate! Love to see you were always keeping the vintage collections, thats where its at for me too, older the better!

Not sure how you guys master collected every release in the first place, making the decision you did must be a relief knowing you won't be doing this again, especially chasing substandard releases.

I think about this daily. Hourly even. I want to buy a house..... Between my footy collection and a house..... I've always chosen my footy collection.....

I've decided no more high end for me.... Only Cowboys ones...

I know everyone here loves the centenary set... But I hate it... Really hate it... I never pick up my centenary album... Ever... And I've done pretty well on the collection.... Also nabbed Girds IP Elite set...... And I still hate it.. Lol.. Sometimes I look at it and wonder why I bother with everything? Why not just focus on Cowboys... Maybe even try completing the Strike set as a master with EVERY card IP as well?? I mean I love the set.. It's my fav.. And I flip loving through it all the time.. The fact that there isn't a foil set makes the IP idea more appealing to me.. Only need the Boyd to complete the master set...... And I don't chase that one too hard either...

In the end... It's a hard choice... And lets face it... The Cowboys suck........ All the cheaper for me!!

i think donating it all to girds, would be the best option. no but seriously. i did the same. just do ip autos now, bit of fun and cheaper.

still have the collection but keep it knights based imo.

I'm loathe to comment, because I think collecting is a personal thing, and only you know what is right for you.

But ... I've always just collected the Knights pc ... like Noark I'm saving for a house, and every-so-often I will look at just the Knights collection and think "That could be a decent chunk towards the house if I sold it off over six months". But then I look at the high end cards I have, I love them too much and would end up regretting it if I ever sold them. They are great memories of a team I absolutely love.

Having seen the comments around here about the Traders release, I also think limiting yourself to your own team's collection helps you to enjoy the releases a lot more. I'm still a big fan of this Traders set - but I'm not buying boxes or cases of the stuff. To me, it's just great to have another two Knights sigs for the collection ... there's never even been a single Knights signature card in series one before, so to me that is pretty awesome.

It is a hard call. I only got back into collecting in 2010 and would have had a huge backlog to fill. For me the cost (young family, mortgage etc) and storage space are big issues. I have a Raiders PC and usually put together one base set and one low odds insert set from each release, this keeps the cost and space issues at bay. The only set I am remotely interested in making a master set is the 08 Centenary because for that is a massive chunk of history of a game I love.

I don't envy the choice you have to make but I am happier keeping my collection smaller and being able to enjoy it at home.

The money you have to lay out to complete a master set is just not worth it to me, I just collect the base set and any insert sets that I like the look of. With the Traders for example, I will only collect the base set, retirees, the premierships and one young gun card which will not cost alot combined if I keep an eye out for decent prices. I started watching footy in 1988 so this is the year my collection begins and I only buy cards that are appealing or significant to me, be it childhood memories or current interests such as signature cards (top prospects, future forces). Don't sell your collection though, they could be a great hand-me-down for children or grandchildren or wait until you retire to sell them.

The money you have to lay out to complete a master set is just not worth it to me, I just collect the base set and any insert sets that I like the look of. With the Traders for example, I will only collect the base set, retirees, the premierships and one young gun card which will not cost alot combined if I keep an eye out for decent prices. I started watching footy in 1988 so this is the year my collection begins and I only buy cards that are appealing or significant to me, be it childhood memories or current interests such as signature cards (top prospects, future forces). Don't sell your collection though, they could be a great hand-me-down for children or grandchildren or wait until you retire to sell them.

This is exactly what i do, get a folder and a box, everything from the box goes into the folder (minus the doubles), and if theres an insert set that i really like (Top prospects) ill aim at collecting the set of them.

This process is on hold at the moment while i hook into my Panthers PC, and grab packets of Traders, aiming to complete insert sets, and get a Panthers Young Gun.

Back
Top Bottom