All time NBA Starting 5

If MJ had played against Lebron I'm sure he'd have a differing opinion.

Let's be honest here, while Bird no doubt was a better shooter than Lebron he's nowhere near him in every other aspect of the game. Just because MJ was the GOAT doesn't make his opinion correct;)

For some odd reason I'm forced to value Michael Jordan's opinion on this matter more than yours, and Jordan is of the opinion that Larry Bird is the best small forward to ever play the game, by far.

Straight from the mouth of Michael Jordan...

"People ask me all the time who my all-time five top players are, and when I start saying Larry, they interrupt me. They say, 'You've got to be kidding me. He can't play with Lebron James!' I tell them, 'You guys don't get it. Larry is far better than any small forward who played the game, and to be honest, I'm still not sure if he is a small forward or a power forward."

Let's be honest here, while Bird no doubt was a better shooter than Lebron he's nowhere near him in every other aspect of the game. Just because MJ was the GOAT doesn't make his opinion correct;)

The Charlotte "Who's-it's" are a great example of this.

Cool thread!

I'll go with guys I have seen play (so anyone post 1990 ish)

C: Hakeem Olajuwon
PF: Karl Malone
SF: Lebron James
SG: MJ
PG: Magic Johnson

Pretty obvious choices I guess. But How about the below team as an alternative?

C: Patrick Ewing
PF: Charles Barkley
SF: Dominique Wilkins
SG: Reggie Miller
PG: Chris Paul

Last edited:
Cool thread!

I'll go with guys I have seen play (so anyone post 1990 ish)

C: Hakeem Olajuwon
PF: Karl Malone
SF: Lebron James
SG: MJ
PG: Magic Johnson

Pretty obvious choices I guess. But How about the below team as an alternative?

C: Patrick Ewing
PF: Charles Barkley
SF: Dominique Wilkins
SG: Reggie Miller
PG: Chris Paul

Tim Duncan doesn't make 2 of your top 5 teams??

As for best team i would go with these 5:

PG Magic Johnson (best fastbreak passer, supreme courtvision)
SG Michael Jordan (best scorer ever, ultimate closer and best defensive guard ever)
SF Kevin Durant (Jordan and Magic need the ball in their hands, so Durant has the best talent to play of the ball and crazy 3pt range to spread the floor)
PF Larry Bird (bit undersized and maybe not strong enough to battle inside, but has most natural shot ever, insane 3pt range to spread the floor and very good rebounder and passer)
C Bill Russell (to make up for Bird as my PF, i need Russell to be my ultimate rim protector, brings that championship defense and a true leader)

my best 5 ever would be Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Bird and Olajuwon.

Ok so my first team was my opinion of best players at their position, how bout this team from a dynamics point of view.

Pg Anfernee hardaway
Sg mj
Sf Lebron
Pf nique
C d Robinson

Good luck dealing with the size,offense, athleticism especially and defense!!!!

When you say "if MJ played against Lebron I'm sure he'd have a differing opinion," do you mean due to emotional/psychological reasons? In the sense that he'd likely feel a deeper connection to Lebron if they both played during the same era/time period? Or are you suggesting the possibility that Jordan might actually be surprised by how good Lebron really is if he somehow got the chance to play against him in his prime? For someone of the status of MJ, with the virtually unmatched wealth of experience and knowledge he has of the game, the latter example is unimaginable. I'm 100% certain that Jordan's perception of Lebron and his skills is quite accurate. With the talent he has faced throughout his career, and with all the things he has seen and experienced, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that act of actually competing against lebron wouldn't present anything new that would change Jordan's opinion of him.

You're correct, Just because MJ is MJ, that doesn't make his opinion infallible, but let's be realistic... He views such subject matter as this from a very unique and advantageous perspective. I think anyone who looks at this as logically, wisely, and objectively as possible can't help but to see the extra weight in Jordan's opinion. When it comes to making such player-comparisons, he certainly has at least the same knowledge and insight as you do as a fan, does he not? That's at the very minimum, not counting the great, perhaps unparalleled wealth of knowledge, experience, and insight he has beyond that.

Maybe it's foolish on my part, but MJ's opinion carries a lot of weight for me.

Back
Top Bottom