All time NBA Starting 5

PG - Stockton
SG - MJ
SF - Bird, but will be over taken by Durant, I'm sure of it.
PF - Duncan
C - Bill Russell

I know I'm only new, so don't want to ruffle feathers - but I think it's a great topic of conversation.
LeBron is arguably one of the better skilled players that the game has ever seen. The reason I wouldn't pick him though goes deeper than that.

You'll notice through time that the greatest players in history all had a lot of heart - that drive to win. That's what made MJ the best. He wanted it more than anyone else.

LeBron can put up 40 and still lose. He could get a triple double every game and it wouldn't convince me.
The moment I see LeBron begging for the ball when Miami are down in the 4th, is when I'll be a big believer.

Watch Durant - isn't as skilled all around as LeBron, but far out does he want it bad. Work horse, does the intangibles that don't shot up on the box score. That's what makes a great player.

Same story with Wilt. I reckon he'd have tones of championships if his head wasn't up his own arse and he wanted it more.
Being the best isnt enough. You need to want it more than everyone else.

So ahhh yeah haha

Point, Magic
Off Guard, Durant
Small Forward, Rodman
Power Forward, Duncan
Centre, Shaq
Sixth Man, Jordan

PG-Penny Hardaway -- If your looking for a great passer, and team laeader, Penny is a great pick!
SG-Michael Jordan -- Because his name is Michael Jordan
SF-Larry Bird -- Just had that drive to win more then LeBron's does. Is one of the best shooters off all time.
PF-Tim Duncan -- Can just score every shot you can think of around the rim. His bank shots are almost impossible to stop
C-Shaq -- Just a powerhouse, also one of the best big man passers of all time.

I like your team DW8, but I beat you I think because I use my Rodman to shut down your Jordan, as best he can, and that leaves mine impossible for you to stop as he comes off the bench nice and fresh.
I also like Penny, that was my tough choice, so many very good Points around. I went with Magic simply for the big game performances over the years.
I'm also guessing that Bird would guard Durant, wouldn't you love to see them go for it. That would be the matchup to watch.

I like your team DW8, but I beat you I think because I use my Rodman to shut down your Jordan, as best he can, and that leaves mine impossible for you to stop as he comes off the bench nice and fresh.
I also like Penny, that was my tough choice, so many very good Points around. I went with Magic simply for the big game performances over the years.
I'm also guessing that Bird would guard Durant, wouldn't you love to see them go for it. That would be the matchup to watch.

But would Rodman being a PF, have the same affect on defense to stop MJ seeing he is a SG...I say MJ would use his speed to get shots up.

Yer that Penny pick was hard, went with him because of the playmaking and great passing. Very tough pick over Magic.

Bird V Durant would be great...but Pippen V Durant would be better!!

Rodman guarded MJ in the late 80's and early 90's. He was fierce in defence, most well balanced defensive player ever, in his prime. Guarded PG to Shaq and beat them all at some stage.

Durant at the 2....? Interesting to say the least!
As for the guy saying Lebron has no Basketball IQ? Put the crack pipe down mate, it's obviously playing mind games with you!!

I hate Lebron as much as the next guy, but to say he has no BBall IQ is just stupidly ridiculous! The guy sees the floor as good as anyone ever to play the game at the 3! He can play the 1 through 4 and play them all extremely well! His athleticism is obviously his biggest asset but the guy reads the game as good as anyone in the league right now, at both ends!

Seriously one of the stupidest things I've ever read..... Sounds like Im having a go now, but seriously I am really dumbfounded at that statement, blinded by hate or really haven't got that much of a clue!

1. Stockton/Robertson
2. Jordan/Magic
3. Lebron/Bird - Give Durantula time!
4. Malone/Duncan - Rodman/Garnett close Third! (He's at the top of my hate list along with Lebron!!)
5. Wilt/Shaq - Russell would have to be tied with these 2!

Such an opinionated subject, but there is a fine line between opinion and hate or really being silly. There is always going to be different players selected because of the wide range of ages on this site!

Durant played the 2 when he first started with Seattle. It wasn't too effective even though he was taller than all the other 2's by a lot, but he was also being coached by PJ Carlesimo so you never know what he could've become at that position unfortunately :(

I'd give KD the Shooting Guard to create defensive issues. I don't know how you'd guard him with a Power Forward with the ability to create his own shots. A bit like Dirk I guess, you don't.

I'd give KD the Shooting Guard to create defensive issues. I don't know how you'd guard him with a Power Forward with the ability to create his own shots. A bit like Dirk I guess, you don't.
I don't think KD would be as effective at the SG position compared to the SF. His advantage of being able to blow past other forwards with his speed and dribbling is reduced with quicker guards.

liked the payton call, but ill have to go
magic
jordan
kobe
shaq
hakeem, yep i had to them out of position aswell haha
and not really...6th man robert horry just incase this team ever went to a game 7, hed win it with a 3

As In our personal top 5 starting line - up ?

Earl Boykins
Spud Webb
Luke Walton
Brian Scalabrine
Kwame Brown

.... ;)

... OR

Steve Nash
Tracy McGrady
Grant Hill
Kevin Garnett
A young Shaquille O'Neal

For me has to be split into best I have seen and best all time. I have no idea how good Wilt and Russell were but I they have to be close!!

So best I have seen:
Magic
Jordan (Farmar :p )
Bird
Duncan
Shaq

Best all time, just substitute Russell for Shaq.

I've got to go with this line-up...

1: Jason Kidd - one of the best pure pass-first guards in the history of the NBA but can still put up points as well as being a great defender.
2: Oscar Robertson - MJ is great, but he never averaged a triple-double for a season.
3: Kevin Garnett - a great player with all-round skills
4: Bill Russell - Defensive prowess (only man who could stop the "Stilt") and could score.
5: Patrick Ewing - people talk about players with passion and desire, this man has it.

Cant see how MJ wouldnt be in everyones starting 5, I mean wouldnt his statistics/achievements alone (even if you never saw him play and dominate the other players some have on their lists) warrant selection? Anyway mine are as follows;

PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Michael Jordan
C - Wilt Chamerbelain (was going to say Kareem but longevity does not equal greatest of all time in my opinion)
SF - John Havlicek
PF - Tim Duncan

Opinions hey ! :)

Back
Top Bottom