All Australian team thoughts....?

I don't know why people argue against Milne's position in the team?!?! He kicked 56 goals again this year, and was better than anyone else playing this position!

The concept behind the All-Australian team is to select the best players that play in each position, not just the best players in the game. Based on this Milne was the best forward pocket in the league this year and therefore he is well worth his spot.

I think if Milne didn't appear to be so arrogant on the field, then many more people would agree with his place in the side.

very surprised with a couple of the decisions.
1. a ruckman should not be selected to play in the foward pocket ie dean cox. sure he goes fowrad and kicks a goal or two but so do alot of other ruckmen. pavlich scored over 70 goals!
2. sam jacobs was cleary the best ruckmen in the comp.
3.the selectors should be changed year in year out to freshen the vote. to me there getting more and more cenial with age. give someone else a go!

Sam Jacobs very hard done by. Best ruckman in the league this year.

That's not what the stats say, but you are only sticking up for your boy. Funny to note that in the Coaches votes for the games this year Naitanui was first, Cox Second. Jacobs 3rd

He is not a "flashy" enough player. The selectors were seduced by Nic Nac Paddy Whacks leaping ability. For me he is just not consistent enough

Completely overated. Pfff look at those stats, very average.

improving.jpg

Jacobs.
ADELAIDE
Sam Jacobs: Never previously selected. 21 games in 2012. 175 kicks, 92 marks, 118 handballs, averaging 8.3 kicks, 4.4 marks, 5.6 handballs. 656 hit-outs (second in the AFL), averaging 31.2 hit-outs. Seven goals, eight behinds. 34 clearances, 37 inside 50m, 25 rebound 50m. 29 tackles.

Nic Naitanui: Never previously selected. 20 games in 2012. 109 kicks, 60 marks, 153 handballs, averaging 5.5 kicks, 3.0 marks, 7.7 handballs. 505 hit-outs (seventh in the AFL), averaging 25.3 hit-outs. 22 goals, 13 behinds. 57 clearances, 51 inside 50m, 15 rebound 50m. 70 tackles.

In the end the gave it to Naitanui for his defensive work, the fact he goes forward and kicks goals, his contested possession and when he is in the ruck he 2nd in hit out% win and taps to advantage. 6 out of 7 of the selectors agreed that Naitanui is the premier ruckman. Yes he does share his duties with Cox which makes his stats even more impressive. Jacobs was unlucky and as a stand alone ruckman he was brilliant all year but don't try and tell me the only reason Naitanui was picked was because he was flashy.

I'm not quite sure where the consistent comment is coming from, perhaps with the stats above you can explain it to me. 25.3 hitouts a game while he shares with Coxy is pretty damn consistent to me.

I was pretty surprised with it actually, especially with Darren Glass named as captain. Overall I think the selectors did a fairly good job, and it's great to see Dangerfield and Thompson in the team :)

Dangerfield was a beast this year, and only 22? Where is my drool icon? Also the amount of Coaches votes he has gotten for the year i reckon he is a major contender for the brownlow. It's between him and Cotchin in my opinion. But then again who knows how the umpires will see it. After all they did give woewodin a medal. :p

Reilly had a good season too and was unlucky, it was between him and Dempster to be honest. Dempster i think just squeezed in because he can play on talls and smalls. Pav & Mitchell unlucky, Cyril surprised me and even though they are awesome players Pendles and Swan were lucky. Swan was shit at the start of the year and missed four while Pendles was brilliant until injured, out for four and never fully got back to his best for the rest of the season. Hard to fit them all in, always someone unlucky. Trust me my club has been dicked a few times over the years. Cummings 1999, P.Matera 2004, Judd 2005, Lecras 2009.

I was surprised how many first time selections there were as well. I don't think there has ever been that many in one year.

nic nats a gun and he deserves to be in the team. he's much more than just a flashy player!
i was watching the coverage last night and mark robinson brought up the ruck debate. im pretty sure he said that nic nat played in the ruck 58% of the time where as jacobs played there over 90% of time.
the point being how could you pick a player in a position when they didnt play there for most of the time.
i had a feeling jacobs would miss out because of the year cox and nic nat had. either way all three rucks cox, nic nat and jacobs are aa worthy. someone had to miss out.
theres probably some tigers fans out there who think maric is unlucky.
for me the biggest balls up was the pavlich omission! what a joke

nic nats a gun and he deserves to be in the team. he's much more than just a flashy player!
i was watching the coverage last night and mark robinson brought up the ruck debate. im pretty sure he said that nic nat played in the ruck 58% of the time where as jacobs played there over 90% of time.
the point being how could you pick a player in a position when they didnt play there for most of the time.
i had a feeling jacobs would miss out because of the year cox and nic nat had. either way all three rucks cox, nic nat and jacobs are aa worthy. someone had to miss out.
theres probably some tigers fans out there who think maric is unlucky.
for me the biggest balls up was the pavlich omission! what a joke

Its because of his dominance when in the ruck, no ruckman can compete but i understand your point and everyone else's but i am sick of this flashy/inconsistant crap. If Naitanui touches the ball ten times in a game they say he doesn't get enough of the ball yet Jacobs practically averages the same amount of disposals and yet he is not held to the same rule of thumb? Problem is everyone expects Naitanui to dominate every game he plays and gather 20 possessions doing it. Not yet but he will soon enough.

Pav was really stiff, you may disagree Shaunao but i felt he deserved it over Rioli or even Cox's position with Cox and Rioli on the interchange bench. Mitchell was also hard done by, should have got the gig ahead of Swan or Pendles. Sorry Pies fans. No hard feelings.

let me just say that next year ill be picking nic nat as one of my rucks for the supercoach competetion. prior to this year i didnt think he was going to become the player he has.
yeah i do disagree with you on the rioli selection. i thought he should be selected even though others think not. i reckon he's become more consistent this year and he takes the game on more. its like he's realized the damage he can have on the opponent. rioli is only going to get better so happy days for us hawks fans:)
i would of haved pav in the pocket and cox on the bench with any one of the 4 subs missing out.

Dangerfield was a beast this year, and only 22? Where is my drool icon? Also the amount of Coaches votes he has gotten for the year i reckon he is a major contender for the brownlow. It's between him and Cotchin in my opinion. But then again who knows how the umpires will see it. After all they did give woewodin a medal. :p

Reilly had a good season too and was unlucky, it was between him and Dempster to be honest. Dempster i think just squeezed in because he can play on talls and smalls. Pav & Mitchell unlucky, Cyril surprised me and even though they are awesome players Pendles and Swan were lucky. Swan was s*** at the start of the year and missed four while Pendles was brilliant until injured, out for four and never fully got back to his best for the rest of the season. Hard to fit them all in, always someone unlucky. Trust me my club has been dicked a few times over the years. Cummings 1999, P.Matera 2004, Judd 2005, Lecras 2009.

I was surprised how many first time selections there were as well. I don't think there has ever been that many in one year.

Swan's disposals to start the year were; 31, 32, 31, 36, 42. That's an average of 34.4 per game while kicking 0.8 goals per game. For the year he went on to average 35 disposals and kicked 1.2 goals per game.... Yes disposals aren't everything, but when you have that much of the ball you influence every game.

Swan was unlucky to be named on the bench

Swan's disposals to start the year were; 31, 32, 31, 36, 42. That's an average of 34.4 per game while kicking 0.8 goals per game. For the year he went on to average 35 disposals and kicked 1.2 goals per game.... Yes disposals aren't everything, but when you have that much of the ball you influence every game.

Swan was unlucky to be named on the bench

Fair call. From the Anzac day game to the end of the year he was on fire, even though he racked it up early he wasn't doing a whole lot with it. But as they say you can't please everyone. Nearly a goal a game for a mid is pretty sweet though.

@ ShueyGaffDarlingNat, I can understand you wanting to stick up for Nic Nat being a West Coast eagles suppoorter but for me he does not provide enough consistency throughout a game or even the whole season. I have not watched all West Coast games this year but in those that I did watch i did not view him as being a threat or even a game changer like Dean Cox has been in the past. Perhaps that stage of his game will come for I am not denying that he does have some talent and some awesome leaping ability.
For me he just seems to go at 100mph for 10 to 15 minute periods (that may be youthful energy), whereas his Partner in Crime, Mr Cox always appears to be cruising at the 80 mph mark being a constant menance to the opposition.

And please don't go on about the stats as stats can say anything you want them.

Also I am not a Crows or a Richmond supporter so I didn't really care if Jacobs or Maric made the team, I am a Swans supporter.

it takes a few years to develope a big tank. unless your a natural runner its not that easy , it takes time. cox was considered lazy when he first started and ive heard cox admit that himself.

I just don't understand how Pavlich is overlooked he lead the dockers to finals! I understand his first few games where not flashy but he was pushed up the ground and was doing the hard work until Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe got healthy, he is easily one of the better captions in the league and he is a campion of the game! Rant over :)

6 time aa should be 7!
cant wait to see how he polls in the brownlow!
i had him in my supercoach team for most of the year. there was one game where he was having a crappy game and at three quarter time he only ecumulated 30 odd points. he then scored over 90 points in the final quarter. it was in the heraldsun newspaper. what a freak , i got a pavlich y2k signature redemptiion the other day for $65. thats a keeper

Stats don't always tell the full story. Naitanui whilst a good player who had a good season, went missing far too often for mine. At times he even seems lazy. That may be due to him going hard in short bursts, I'm not sure. Cox had a much better season, and had he been selected as the ruckman, would have no qualms.

I don't know why people argue against Milne's position in the team?!?! He kicked 56 goals again this year, and was better than anyone else playing this position!

The concept behind the All-Australian team is to select the best players that play in each position, not just the best players in the game. Based on this Milne was the best forward pocket in the league this year and therefore he is well worth his spot.

I think if Milne didn't appear to be so arrogant on the field, then many more people would agree with his place in the side.
THANK YOU... I didn't know how to say it without sounding like a douche lol

Back
Top Bottom