Site Admin
Real Name
Graham
eBay User
ozcardtrader
COMC User
ozcardtrader
Hey guys

I'm developing an online card store, and I'm wondering the best way to setup the categories of the single cards.

I can have a main category, and then sub categories under that and cards can be in more than one category. There is also a full search function so typing in a players name will bring up all that players cards available as well.

Just not sure what sub categories would be best to use - I was thinking of having sub categories of the cards year (1994/95) and that's it. Would it benefit from having a sub category of the set name (ie SP Championship) as well ? Or should I have a sub category for each card set (1994/94 Stadium Club, 1999/00 Topps Chrome)

Any suggestions ?

Probably year and set name, maybe individually and together? (not sure how the search would work on it) but I know that I usually search player names, but failing that, I search year and set name together cause rarely am I searching for a set name in it's entirity!

Well, i like the cross-reference selling..

like autos category has auto with or without game used if with game used, they also listed in game used category...

easy to sort and easy to find.. because mostly, we all seek different players, which is rather easy to find, but finding patch, auto and etc would be fairly hard especially when u list if all together....

i like the shop which has decade by decade until 2000, then year by year.. then, auto/game used/patches category.. they are just so easy to find what i look for, some shops even sell like 4 sports under each sports...

just my point of view...

good luck with the shop.

Well, i like the cross-reference selling..

like autos category has auto with or without game used if with game used, they also listed in game used category...

easy to sort and easy to find.. because mostly, we all seek different players, which is rather easy to find, but finding patch, auto and etc would be fairly hard especially when u list if all together....

i like the shop which has decade by decade until 2000, then year by year.. then, auto/game used/patches category.. they are just so easy to find what i look for, some shops even sell like 4 sports under each sports...

just my point of view...

good luck with the shop.

Good point. As I'm currently seeking a patch set, I search patches also by set name. Very helpful to have them separated from other game used

Speak to Wayne (iluvrefractors) I believe he's been down this road, had the beckett online store etc etc. He should offer some insight for ya!

Hey G,

I'd sort by year first off. Create Sub Cats under there for each Set Name. And either space them out (if listing as a list) or use more sub cats (if in display mode) for each insert set (where applicable).

Obviously the main search of Player Name(s) will be used, so work around that. But using the Years will be the best option for a "View All" sort of look.

never seen sub catagories for set names but i'd go with gu, auto, maybe rookies and then year

Hopefully this might help. I collect players and sets, so specific searches for players and set names would be a good option. A sub category for the set name might work.

What about cards being listed under different cats?

Like it could be:

2004-05
.....Black Diamond

.....Exquisite Collection

.....UD Sweet Shot
..........Sweet Spot Signatures
...............Harris, Devin

.....Ultimate Collection

Then...

Autos:
1994-95
1998-99
2002-03
2003-04

2004-05
Harris, Devin - UD Sweet Shot - Sweet Spot Signatures

2006-07

How would that be?

Since you have full search function on the site anyway, there isn't a massive need to break it up into too many sub sections (who browses full lists without narrowing down with a search first anyway?). Just bang them into year groups, and then sets just to keep it neat.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will mull over those for a bit. I think I will just go with listing them under the year and set names. While having 70 different categories is great in theory, it is not really quick to list items.

Since you have full search function on the site anyway, there isn't a massive need to break it up into too many sub sections (who browses full lists without narrowing down with a search first anyway?). Just bang them into year groups, and then sets just to keep it neat.

Spot on, that's what i'm thinking too :)

Cheers guys

Back
Top Bottom