Advice on NBA Packs and Boxes: Ask your questions here!

Real Name
Bainy
eBay User
rumble_the_bison
Just thought I might start this up to help a few of the members on here, myself included!

The thread is just a question thread where you can ask questions about boxes you might want to buy, pricing and what other members who have purchased and busted them before, think about them. This first post will be constantly updated by me and will provide a summary of boxes which have been discussed previously on the thread so that questions won't double up. It will have a product breakdown and then comments from users for each.

So just start by asking which products you'll like to know about and soon the thread will grow :)

Cheers
Bainy

2010-11 Packs and Boxes

Panini Classics Hobby Box (Wed March 23rd 2011, pushed back to March 30th, pushed back again to April 13th)
Reasonable Price:
$90-100
Box Breakdown:
  • 8 cards per pack, 18 packs per box, 16 boxes per case = 2304 cards per case x 6 cases = 13824 total cards
  • 180-Card Base Set: 100 Commons, 40 Legends (#’d/999), 40 Autographed Rookies (max #’d/699)
  • 2 Autographs per box
  • 2 Memorabilia per box
  • At least 1on-card Autographed Rookie (#’d to 699 or less) per box
  • At least 1 Legend (#’d/999) per Box
  • At least 12 Inserts per Box

Other Information:
  • Base sets @ $9/each
  • Master set 1-180 plus all inserts = $400 (excluding 40 auto’s)
  • Complete set 1-180 = $350 (excluding 40 auto’s)

Comments:
Really love Classics! Great card designs, nice bright colours and on-card autos. Would like to see a few more hits or inserts in the hobby boxes though, there's too much base in the product. Also variations such as Timeless Tributes are just numbered base cards which sucks. But otherwise great fun box to bust and one of my favourite Panini products :)

Panini Gold Standard Hobby Box
Reasonable Price: $200-$215 delivered
Box Breakdown:
  • 3 Autographs (#’d to 299 or less)
  • 2 Memorabilia Cards (#’d 299 or less)
  • 4 Golds (Commons) (#’d to 299 or less)
  • 3 Other Inserts
Other Information:

Comments:
Gold is very hit and miss product, saw few boxes with 2 Kobe autos in it, will see how this will affect Kobe's price. But the product is very nice looking and excited break. Will definitely try some more if price can drop like 20%.

Based on the price/whats in the set etc...ill give this bust a 4/10

Panini Rookies&Stars Box
Reasonable Price: $200-$215 delivered
Box Breakdown:

Other Information:

Comments:
oh and may i just say before i go on....calling this product Rookies and Stars is a bit of a stretch....needs more rookies...more stars...and less mediocre....i mean come on, Aminu and Fields are nice rookies....but thats the best you can do?! (nothing against Fields..his is my PC guy afterall)

Panini Hall of Fame Hobby Box
Reasonable Price:
Box Breakdown:

Other Information:

Comments:
I really liked the product concept, design and HOF player list and the price was pretty reasonable, but... 1 quadruple, 2 triples and a bunch of doubles in the same case??? Really!? Did they not consider that some customers may be purchasing FULL cases of this product?? I sent Panini an email in regards to substituting some of the redemptions (I really don't want 3 Tom Gola autos), but won't be holding my breath for a reply.

Panini Season Update Hobby Box
Reasonable Price: not released yet
Box Breakdown:

Other Information:

Comments:
Updates is the biggest disappointment of the year, the auto is one per box just like Panini has guaranteed. Number of dual and tri rookie autos reduced significantly.
I don't think I will touch Update again till the price drop to <$45, very sorry product. Base cards are ugly, jersey cards are ugly, patch cards are rare, one auto per box, small number of multi rookie autos.

Panini Timeless Treasures Tin
Reasonable Price: $90-110
Box Breakdown:

Other Information:

Comments:

Panini Totally Certified Hobby Box
Reasonable Price:
Box Breakdown:

Other Information:

Comments:
great looking product, decent hits, on-card autos, nice RCs not short printed (all numbered to 580-599, even John Wall)
too many redemptions, damaged corners.

The product is bit overpriced consider the weak rookie class, but definitely one of better product this year.
I don't think I will bust any more of this month, will wait till the product price drop to $80 during the lockout and maybe get few boxes when my hands get itchy.

I really like certified. I will definitely be getting some more of that product

Certified:I busted one box so far, the cards look sharp! the etched metal look should be very popular. Even Better in person.
The price is very resonable I would highly suggest picking some up. My Favorite Panini release yet.

UD Ultimate Collection Hobby Box
Reasonable Price: $65-$70
Box Breakdown:

Other Information:

Comments:

Very curious about the 10/11 ud ultimate collection NBA box. 4 cards per box. What's a reasonable price to pay and what value is there in these boxes? Or maybe a suitable alternative?
Thanks

Very curious about the 10/11 ud ultimate collection NBA box. 4 cards per box. What's a reasonable price to pay and what value is there in these boxes? Or maybe a suitable alternative?
Thanks
I would stay away from 2010-11 Ultimate Collection because of the lack of rights that UD has at the moment. Pricing is $64.95 at DaCardWorld and not many on eBay at the moment. I wouldn't pay more than $70 though: 2010/11 UPPER DECK ULTIMATE COLLECTION BASKETBALL BOX | eBay

Any thoughts about the new Season Update coming out soon? :)
Haha not sure what type of response you want there but I think they're pretty good value and the card design is not bad either.

Sorry I meant 07-08 Artifacts and also 07-08 and 08-09 Fleer Hot Prospects

Will update the first post with these soon. As for opinions on the boxes. I would stay away from the 07-08 Fleer Hot Prospects and go for the 08-09. The designs are much better, especially theses:
220620111704.jpg

Though it may cost a bit more because of the better draft as well but it would be worth it :thumbsup:

However, if you're buying for investment, I think the 2007-08 Draft Class is starting to improve. With Durant as the frontman, Horford will soon be averaging a double-double and Mike Conley looks to be an established guard too with the way he played near the end of last season Rodney Stuckey, Jeff Green and Thornton are also developing into nice role players :)

I will leave someone else to provide a suitable comment on the Artifacts. I have the base set, which looks nice but I'm not too sure about the inserts and other stuff like GU and Autos.

Hey Guys, just wondering if I could get some recommendations on which boxes are the most fun to bust? I don't want any 1 pack boxes or any that are filled with base because I have enough base sets as it is. I want a fair amount of hits and inserts and something which is reasonably priced as well. I haven't actually busted anything in about 2 years so I was thinking that at this weekend's Sydney Card Show, I might treat myself.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Bainy

Hey Guys, just wondering if I could get some recommendations on which boxes are the most fun to bust? I don't want any 1 pack boxes or any that are filled with base because I have enough base sets as it is. I want a fair amount of hits and inserts and something which is reasonably priced as well. I haven't actually busted anything in about 2 years so I was thinking that at this weekend's Sydney Card Show, I might treat myself.

Bainy

Be sure to get in before the stock gets damaged! :p

Pretty nice looking base set with Gold parallels 1:6 i believe. Chance of Penny and MJ Auto's too but they are redemptions so basically worthless. Unless you are looking to attempt a decent looking base set i wouldn't bother for the $100 you're spending

Bainy

My mate busted a 09/10 donruss elite hobby box and was very please with the hits and base cards also haven't seen them yet but sounded pretty gd for the $110 layout

Hope that helps somehow hahah

Also thanks for the info on ud ultimate might look to timeless treasure or totally certified when back into it

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom