Baseball ABL Semi Final Pick Ups

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

I went to about 8 Sydney Bluesox games this year and never got close to snagging a game used ball.......however my luck changed during the postponed game 1 of the ABL Semi Final.

First ball was hit into the crowd at third base of a Craig Anderson pitch and my son and I nearly got dived on by the 3rd baseman. Then a few minutes later a couple of nice kids came up to my son (who is nearly 4) and offered to give him one of the other balls they had caught which was very nice.

792151_10151294666698877_1679430345_o.jpg

My son also got to high 5 Chris Oxspring (class act) and Brad Thomas (both Major League players).

Another interesting story is about Brad Thomas the pitcher for the Blue Sox.....who is lucky to still be alive after this happened:

9/11 Incident

Brad Thomas was a member of the Minnesota Twins Double-A Affiliate, competing in the 2001 playoffs. He had originally scheduled a flight to Australia for September 11, 2001. His original flight, via Los Angeles, was American Airlines Flight 11 that hit the World Trade Center. Michael Cuddyer hit a walk-off homerun to send the team to the second round of the playoffs, forcing Thomas to change his flight plans.

WOW...very lucky indeed!

Cheers
Matt

Great read mate!! Great gesture by the kids to give your son a ball!!! We went to the last adelaide bite home game and it took me until the bottom of the 6th to get a ball!! Had to rush, dive like crazy, basically the only time my 2 boys weren't near me and was probably the 5th or 6th one to land close to us!! My 9 year old was going off at a couple of boys the same age for hogging 3 or 4 balls..... Was funny as when I got the one we have now!! ABL is great, better fan interaction then the NBL!!

That's awesome Matt.

Now I have a little son, I can't wait to take him to future Perth Heat games.

awesome pick ups.
Being able to take home a piece of the game is one of the awesome things about baseball.

Now get yourself some Oxspring and Thomas cards for safe keeping when your son grows up and he will be able to brag how he 'met' them when he was a kid.

Put that ball in a ball cube and put a sticker on it when you got the ball.

Precious memories there.

Back
Top Bottom