A little bit of 90's and early 2000's reminiscing........

Man, this whole thread took me back. early-late 90's is right in my collecting wheel-house, despite growing up in a tiny country town in the South of WA (Greenbushes). Every newsagency and even video shops sold cards, and our local video shop in Bridgetown (the nearest "big" town) had glass cabinets full of NBA cards.

heres the crazy thing though.... I remember exactly what it was that started my collecting off. Me and my family went on a 3 week trip from our home town all the way to Broome and back towing a caravan. Somewhere early in the journey we got Chicken Treat for lunch, and a 1/4 chicken and chips pack came with a pack of Hoops 93-94. Bizarre, no idea why that was even a promo... my very first pack of cards probably got coated in chicken grease by my eager little hands (I think I was 13yo), including the BJ Armstrong 5th Ann. Gold that I still have in a folder with the rest of my Bulls cards. Needless to say, I requested Chicken Treat for the rest of the trip.

Old Ed brought back some memories!!!

Was Eds the card shop in the arcade (near the escalators) next to where Hungry Jacks used to be? I always thought it was joes,or maybe the guy who worked in there was Joe? I remember Hall of fame being down the back end of shops (where Bergs hobbies is or was )near the church?

Eds was where my Dad got his 1988 Fleer basketball set and MJ Flair hot numbers just as they had been released. Good times!

Was Eds the card shop in the arcade (near the escalators) next to where Hungry Jacks used to be? I always thought it was joes,or maybe the guy who worked in there was Joe? I remember Hall of fame being down the back end of shops (where Bergs hobbies is or was )near the church?

Eds was where my Dad got his 1988 Fleer basketball set and MJ Flair hot numbers just as they had been released. Good times!
Ed was there before Joe. Wasn't there for long though - bad business management.

Ed was there before Joe. Wasn't there for long though - bad business management.
At one stage,Ed had a stall at Preston,s markets.After that was selling cards from home.He had one of his rooms set up as a card shop.Then he had a very bad motor bike accident.After that,i never saw or heard from him again.

At one stage,Ed had a stall at Preston,s markets.After that was selling cards from home.He had one of his rooms set up as a card shop.Then he had a very bad motor bike accident.After that,i never saw or heard from him again.
I remember him selling from his house at Smithfield.

great thread boys, fun reading back on others memories and story's
Q- any of you adelaide boys remember the name of the card store back in the 90's that was in the basement of the myer center in the city?

I think i remember ed with the big beard (and sometimes wore a full brim hat? )coming into collectors edge a few times when i was there and buying a few high end jordans he would often speak to my old man who collected Jordans.

Joe was an awesome guy to deal with back then i remember him selling all the US sodas and his display cabinets having some really cool oddball Jordan,Bird,Magic stuff etc etc. I bought my first pack of fleer metals in that little card store.good times

Still trying to complete my Upper deck inserts, I'm getting there. Every 10 years I get an itch to finish off my sets. Shaq/Penny were supposed to be the next best ever men. They got it half right. Wish Penny could have become greater than he did. His cards were so valuable in his rookie year. Not so much anymore.

great thread boys, fun reading back on others memories and story's
Q- any of you adelaide boys remember the name of the card store back in the 90's that was in the basement of the myer center in the city?

image.jpg

Sorry to bring up this old thread up but i had a discussion with a mate of mine trying to remember the card stores back in the 90's - early 2000s.

Does anyone remember the name of the store at Lidcome and at Bankstown near the station? Not sure if the one at Lidcome was called The Dugout or something like that.

Remembering the younger years - Parramatta was my area. Could only afford Fleer and UD Collector Choice back then and when i wanted to treat myself I would go an buy a Fleer Ultra NBA. Chasing any Jordan's and Stockton's.

love the thrill of going to all the stores. Hall Of Fame, Ed's Cards, Collector's Edge, Phantom Zone/Tin Solider (went there for my Star Wars fix hahah). Those were the days.

But yeah if anyone can remember or confirm the names of those stores in those locations it would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Sorry to bring up this old thread up but i had a discussion with a mate of mine trying to remember the card stores back in the 90's - early 2000s.

Does anyone remember the name of the store at Lidcome and at Bankstown near the station? Not sure if the one at Lidcome was called The Dugout or something like that.

Remembering the younger years - Parramatta was my area. Could only afford Fleer and UD Collector Choice back then and when i wanted to treat myself I would go an buy a Fleer Ultra NBA. Chasing any Jordan's and Stockton's.

love the thrill of going to all the stores. Hall Of Fame, Ed's Cards, Collector's Edge, Phantom Zone/Tin Solider (went there for my Star Wars fix hahah). Those were the days.

But yeah if anyone can remember or confirm the names of those stores in those locations it would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks
@Matt26

Thanks

Know most of them very well at Parra........

Eds Cards was in the mall behind the Hungry Jacks

Phantom Zone was opposite the station and had some footy stuff but mainly non sports.

Collectors Edge (Edge8088 on ebay) had some great cards and all the newer stuff.

Swapmeet at Blacktown near the station as well.

Card Shaq at Penrith in the Mall

High Court Cards also in Penrith

There was another one near the sports shop in the mall as well but cant remember the name.

Fun times!!

Card Junction was a big chain of trading card stores around Sydney. Ashfield, Maroubra, Randwick, Hornsby, Chatswood, Bondi Junction off the top of my head!

Know most of them very well at Parra........

Eds Cards was in the mall behind the Hungry Jacks

Phantom Zone was opposite the station and had some footy stuff but mainly non sports.

Collectors Edge (Edge8088 on ebay) had some great cards and all the newer stuff.

Swapmeet at Blacktown near the station as well.

Card Shaq at Penrith in the Mall

High Court Cards also in Penrith

There was another one near the sports shop in the mall as well but cant remember the name.

Fun times!!
Hall of Fame i think was the shop in the little mall where bergs hobbies and beat disc is

Back
Top Bottom