96 mark waugh premier redemption set

Jets59

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Freddy
okay, im not really familiar with this series. saw this on ebay,

1996 MARK WAUGH (PREMIER BATSMAN) REDEMPTION SET - eBay Full Sets, Trading Cards, Cricket, Sport. (end time 11-May-09 09:23:01 AEST)

Was wondering what the go is, how are the redemption and certificate cards un numbered out of 100 if the card itself is un numbered out of 500. Also is this an un numbered un signed verasion, or was this card never signed.

Ive just come off night shift, so i might be missing something obvious, apologies if i am, but just after some info on it.

thats a sample set mate, not worth a real lot. i pulled the premier batsman card back when this series was released, made the card shop owner very angry when i pulled it lol, just the picture card is 1:400 packs :eek:. there is a premier batsman picture card as shown in that auction numbered out of 500 and the redemption card was inserted into packs, only 100 of them, ultra ultra rare. never seen one for sale. basically the first 100 picture cards were turned into the signature cards with matching redemptions and cert all numbered 1-100. 101-500 were just the picture card. ive got one at home, i'll take a pic of it tonight and post up tomorrow. ive been waiting for a genuine picture card like mine to come up on ebay so i can see what it goes for, but still havent seen one.
hope that helps

I pulled the first this card out of a box 96 World Cup

scan0059 (Large).jpg
scan0060 (Large).jpg

As you can see, this card is clearly numbered out of 100 and says you are entitled to a Mark Waugh auto card numbered out of 100.

My understanding is that you redeem the first card, and get back the first card stamped/punched, a second card (not sure if it is the second card in the auction) auto'd and the last card is the certification card.

Why or how they are not numbered is beyond me. In my other thread someone mentioned that when Futera went under they sold a lot of their stuff off - these cards in the auction (if they are in fact unnumbered) could be a promo set or acquired in the Futera sell off ? Someone else may be able to shed some more light on it.

EDIT there you have it in BLOWN8's post :D

haha just read that and i didnt make a lot of sense :rolleyes:

there are un-numbered versions of this card, called a sample, not worth much. just look for the number stamping on the back. if its numbered under 100 it was ment to be a signature card, if its 101-500 its the picture card :thumbsup:

nice pull graham, thats awesome. so you pulled this when Futera had already gone under? thats unlucky, the redeemed sig version would be a highlight of anyones PC.

When Futera sold off a lot of their unredeemed cards, they also sold signed uncut sheets of this card as well...I believe these were numbered out of #/200?

Cheers
Matt

I'm not sure they are trying to sell them as genuine Dan - they do say in the auction that all 3 cards are unnumbered. Normally sample cards are stamped "sample" on the back, but there are a number of Futera insert cards that have turned up (particularly the Decider series) that are both unnumbered and also not stamped as "sample". It seems this was also done with the World Cup inserts.

As has already been stated by BLOWN8, the signature redemption is the same card as the unsigned version. There were 500 made (with cards 101-500 appearing in packets unsigned) and the first 100 were for the redemption - they were signed and sent with the certification card to complete the 3 card redemption set.

There were also 200 uncut sheets signed by Mark Waugh that were available. These have a gold stamp in the middle on the back so that they cannot be cut up and passed off as genuine redemptions. They are also unnumbered of 500.

Futera also did a similar thing with the Steve Waugh platinum cards in the 1996/97 Decider release - platinums 101-500 were put into packs, and cards 001-100 were kept for the signature redemptions - they were different from the standard platinum cards (#101-500) because they were stamped using gold rather than bronze and they were not embossed like cards 101-500 were.

Here are pics of my unnumbered sample, pack insert (#326/500), redeemed signature version (#97/100) and the uncut 4-up:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/bjs127/Futera cricket cards/1996AllMarkWaughsfront.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/bjs127/Futera cricket cards/1996AllMarkWaughsback.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/bjs127/Futera cricket cards/UncutMWaugh4up.jpg

Excellent cards mate! I wonder why futera bothered with sample cards, they seem to be issued to sales reps or used as promos! Is there any value in promos?

I think you will find that samples are often worth as much or more than the actual insert card found in packs. For example take the 1994 Elite XI inserts - there were 5000 of each card individually numbered, yet there were only 200 cards made with the word "SAMPLE" in silver on the back of the card. Many collectors will still opt for the numbered version, but the rarer option will always be the sample card. In my case, when I had collected all the numbered insert cards i then moved on to samples and uncut 4-ups as the next progression in my card collecting. I was interested in getting items that were not necessarily available to the public, and managed to track down an ex-Futera employee who had a number of sample cards and 4-ups.

It is probably important to remember that "samples" and "promotional cards" are quite different - samples were of a limited run and quite difficult to track down - promotional cards had a print run well into the thousands and are not as rare and hence not as desirable (or valuable). Futera inserts have also turned up with nothing at all printed on the back - it is these cards (such as the Mark Waugh that this thread started with) that are difficult to value because there is no way of knowing just how many were printed.

A great reference for samples and promos and 4-ups is the Futera File. Lots of info in here and it documents the number of sample cards released for cricket - eg there were only 50 samples made of the 1995/96 cricket inserts, however there were only 11 samples produced of the 1995/96 Warne Hat Trick card.

I have spent quite a bit of time and energy (and of course money!) tracking down as many Futera cricket samples and uncut 4-ups as i can find. You can see both my samples and uncut 4-ups here:

Futera SAMPLE inserts pictures by bjs127 - Photobucket

Futera 4-ups pictures by bjs127 - Photobucket

Cheers
Brad

i Stand humbly corrected Brad 'we are not worthy!!!' (On knees bowing)

That is a formidable collection, one the be extremely proud of!

Please catalog these and add them to the card price guide!
Thanks for sharing
All the best
Dan

Well I picked this up tonight... 182 of 500 personally signed

Its the numbered picture card as inserted in the packs, would have preferred if it was just an unsigned picture card, but either way it was still a good price

Has his newer style "lazy" signature, instead of the full signature as featured in Brad's pics. Its how he signed a couple of my mini bats at the start of the year too...

Anyway will have to do me until I come across the actual signed version...

!BT!rFfw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLl3wEGBKGN-lHfUg~~_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom