2021 release ideas

Agree with the above. TLA are certainly capable of producing cards that would be well received in an ultra high end release. While this might only cater toward a certain portion of the market, it would be a good addition.

In saying that, TLA’s inability to listen / take in advice, terrible quality control and worse, constant question marks regarding the honesty and integrity of their product makes me feel a really high end release might be beyond them.

Agree with the above. TLA are certainly capable of producing cards that would be well received in an ultra high end release. While this might only cater toward a certain portion of the market, it would be a good addition.

In saying that, TLA’s inability to listen / take in advice, terrible quality control and worse, constant question marks regarding the honesty and integrity of their product makes me feel a really high end release might be beyond them.
The second paragraph you wrote is more my point as to why I don’t think they can pull it off successfully for it to maintain value. They definitely have the resources to make nice cards. Superheroes was an example of that. But when they are pumping out close to 50 different players having signature cards annually, and having the same players signing over and over again, it turns me off. An example of this is Corey Oates. I’ll never buy another Corey Oates signature card again. I don’t care how nice it is.

The second paragraph you wrote is more my point as to why I don’t think they can pull it off successfully for it to maintain value. They definitely have the resources to make nice cards. Superheroes was an example of that. But when they are pumping out close to 50 different players having signature cards annually, and having the same players signing over and over again, it turns me off. An example of this is Corey Oates. I’ll never buy another Corey Oates signature card again. I don’t care how nice it is.

Absolutely. Producing the volume of signatures that TLA do was always going to drain the pool of potential signers quickly and cause double ups. The other aspect is that it causes prices to drop. Look at LS blacks? Aside from a few players and teams, you can pick up most for $60-$100 each.

A secondary factor to consider in this is that some players simply don’t want to sign cards and / or ask way over the going rate.

Hodgson has had three signatures for Canberra since 2016. This isn’t an issue for me as they have all been very different cards and he has a great signature.

100% this.

Absolutely. Producing the volume of signatures that TLA do was always going to drain the pool of potential signers quickly and cause double ups. The other aspect is that it causes prices to drop. Look at LS blacks? Aside from a few players and teams, you can pick up most for $60-$100 each.

A secondary factor to consider in this is that some players simply don’t want to sign cards and / or ask way over the going rate.

Hodgson has had three signatures for Canberra since 2016. This isn’t an issue for me as they have all been very different cards and he has a great signature.

One of the strangest factors with the signature cards TLA produce is the signature cards in Traders #/100 seem to hold their value more than the base LS autos in Elite.

Also take into consideration that Traders is available to the wider public, moreso than Elite. Probably a fair few Traders Sigs fall into the hands of kid collectors and are rendered worthless. Good to attract new collectors with Traders type sets, but that's the downside.
I'm just a little disturbed (quite a bit actually, but that's another story) that they persist with certain inserts that, in my opinion, dont cut it. Those Galactic Heroes were the worst rubbish I've ever seen in any sports card. Street Art is not far behind and Startoons should have been one and done.
However, the ongoing Retirements is one on the best things I've ever collected.
Anyway, they're all we've got so I just hope for the best.

Looking forward to 2021 Traders, Muzza.

Last edited:
Also take into consideration that Traders is available to the wider public, moreso than Elite. Probably a fair few Traders Sigs fall into the hands of kid collectors and are rendered worthless. Good to attract new collectors with Traders type sets, but that's the downside.
I'm just a little disturbed (quite a bit actually, but that's another story) that they persist with certain inserts that, in my opinion, dont cut it. Those Galactic Heroes were the worst rubbish I've ever seen in any sports card. Street Art is not far behind and Startoons should have been one and done.

I totally agree with you about the retirement cards.Keep them going.As for the startoons,i would rather see gem cards with different colour levels,like the 2007 select gem cards.

1611996405621-1599319958.jpg

Street Arts honestly aren’t too bad, they just don’t really fit well in the set. They should’ve just used Magic Rounds again but used different players for each team.

Street Arts honestly aren’t too bad, they just don’t really fit well in the set. They should’ve just used Magic Rounds again but used different players for each team.

Unfortunately due to COVID, there was no Magic Round in 2020 so that is not an option.

The SA’s were okay last year but a second year in a row, too much. There really are a bundle of other themes and concepts which would be much better.

Unfortunately due to COVID, there was no Magic Round in 2020 so that is not an option.

The SA’s were okay last year but a second year in a row, too much. There really are a bundle of other themes and concepts which would be much better.
What I meant was they could’ve used different players from the 2019 Magic Round.

Low end subset options are really endless in possibility.

There are so many different stat categories now which can easily ground a set.

The Milestones set from 14 Traders was a cracker and I wish that had been an ongoing set in Traders.

Last edited:
Low end subset options are really endless in possibility.

There are so many different stat categories now which can easily ground a set.

The Milestones set from 14 Traders was a cracker and I wish that had be one a yearly set in Traders.
I feel like the Milestones would fit more into the Elite set rather than the Traders if I’m honest.

Maybe Dally m predictors like the Brownlow predictors in AFL?

Or maybe a team packed opal mojo concept as in a case or half case hit?

Back
Top Bottom